New to ZX Spectrum what are my hardware options

For experts to discuss very technical stuff and newbies to ask why the Spectrum they bought off ebay doesn't work.
zack4mac
Drutt

New to ZX Spectrum what are my hardware options

Post by zack4mac »

Hello I have not used a proper computer since the mid 1990's these being C16/C64/CPC and Atari ST, I have spent too much on modern computers playing catch up with windows! without any fun :x

I am ready to become a spectrum owner I have been told the best system to choose is the original grey +2 this using a similar board to Clives 128 toast rack? I am also looking towards a storage media that saves my precious time, which I now realise is no longer infinite :roll: There are lots of modern developments Harlequin and ZXuno but do these offer good compatibility.

Any help would be great ;)
Cheers
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Re: New to ZX Spectrum what are my hardware options

Post by Ast A. Moore »

Have a look here.
Every man should plant a tree, build a house, and write a ZX Spectrum game.

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
and zasm Z80 Assembler syntax highlighter.
1024MAK
Bugaboo

Post by 1024MAK »

The Harlequin is very compatible with the original 48k ZX Spectrum. Put it in a rubber key or ZX Spectrum case, and it is as real an experience as you can get using something that is new!

The ZXuno is also very good and very compatible. But being a modern device, it not anywhere near the same as using real original hardware.

Which brings me to my point. What are you actually after? The experience of the real hardware like an actual Sinclair machine, or are you more interested in the games and software experience / fun?

The following U.K. models were produced:
  • ZX Spectrum 16K rubber key
  • ZX Spectrum 48K rubber key
  • ZX Spectrum+ (a ZX Spectrum 48K board in a new case with a hard key keyboard)
  • ZX Spectrum 128K (toast rack) (same keyboard and similar case to the ZX Spectrum+). Often sold as “rare” and so often at a high price.
  • ZX Spectrum +2 (grey), 128K of RAM with build in data cassette and a proper keyboard (the first Amstrad produced machine, uses a different board to the ZX Spectrum 128K, but most of the design of the circuitry is very similar to the circuitry of the ZX Spectrum 128K). A number of board versions exist, with one board revision having had three transistors installed the wrong way round at the time of manufacturing.
  • ZX Spectrum +2A, 128K of RAM with build in data cassette. The circuitry was completely redesigned. Due to a misunderstanding, the memory banking is different, but still has remarkably good compatibility considering Amstrad created a new custom gate array chip to replace the Sinclair designed ULA. Most machines actually have the same board as the +2B despite the case moulding saying “+2A”.
  • ZX Spectrum +2B, 128K of RAM - as the +2A, but the later revision board corrects the design error with the sound circuitry.
  • ZX Spectrum +3, 128K of RAM with build in 3 inch floppy disk drive. Uses the same board as the first +2A machines and therefore has the design error with the sound circuitry.
  • ZX Spectrum +3B, 128K of RAM - as the +3, but with the sound circuitry corrected. Very rare to find in the U.K.
For maximum compatibility the +2 (gray) is often suggested. But any game that was released or re-released after Amstrad started selling the +2A / +3 should work fine on any of the 128K machines. And a lot of the games and software that did have problems running on a +2A/+2B/+3 have been modified to work over the years.

For 16K and 48K games, a lot will run on the 128K machines, but some titles will only run on a 48K machine.

The +2A/+2B/+3 are a bit more reliable compared to the earlier models.

Mark
:!: Standby alert :!:
“There are four lights!”
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :dance
Looking forward to summer later in the year.
zack4mac
Drutt

Post by zack4mac »

Thanks for the information, I have bought a ZX +3 grey from eBay I cant afford £150 for a known working machine so I will need to get a new psu and more than likely some hardware repairs. Keep your finger crossed for me :roll:

I'm quite excited, the spectrum looks like a great opportunity to understand programming and the basic manual looks more intuitive than the copy I got with my C64.