ZX81 work with a Spectrum keyboard

For experts to discuss very technical stuff and newbies to ask why the Spectrum they bought off ebay doesn't work.
zack4mac
Drutt

ZX81 work with a Spectrum keyboard

Post by zack4mac »

I have ZX81 sitting doing nothing because I could not get used to the keyboard and replacements are thin on the ground. I have noticed on eBay empty ZX Spectrum cases, are they compatible with the ZX81?

Thanks
PeterJ
Site Admin

Re: ZX81 work with a Spectrum keyboard

Post by PeterJ »

No, I'm afraid not.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

This is rather nice [mention]zack4mac[/mention] , but ends very soon.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 3115937175
zack4mac
Drutt

Post by zack4mac »

£86 spondoolies my G@% :shock: I just bought a Rainbow Bluetooth with cherry keys that lights up from ebay for £20. Although the Memotech case is quite smart :rol: is that the going rate?
1024MAK
Bugaboo

Post by 1024MAK »

Often if in good condition, yes £50 and upwards...

From the electrical side of things, the ZX81 and ZX Spectrum rubber key keyboards are the same. Both are a 8 x 5 matrix giving 40 keys. However the tails of the membranes are physically in different places, and the order of some of the electrical connections on the tails of the membranes are in a different order.

Plus the key legends are different... (yes, 1 to 0, Q to P, etc is the same, but the keywords are different, as are some special function keys).

So if you are willing to make up an adaptor, yes you can use a rubber key keyboard (or even a ZX Spectrum+ keyboard).

You may however wish to wait for a bit. A new proper keyboard for the ZX81 / TS1000 has just finished being developed. Once the new keycaps have been produced, they will be made available for sale.

This is not my project. When the developers announce more information, I’ll post more information.

Mark
:!: Standby alert :!:
“There are four lights!”
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :dance
Looking forward to summer later in the year.
zack4mac
Drutt

Post by zack4mac »

That sounds great Mark, cheers for that