Dual leaf vs turned pin IC sockets.

For experts to discuss very technical stuff and newbies to ask why the Spectrum they bought off ebay doesn't work.
Muttley Black
Microbot

Dual leaf vs turned pin IC sockets.

Post by Muttley Black »

Hello friends!

First think before even start to repair a ZX spectrum, i remove all IC's and put sockets to the board. This because i want the next repair to be quick as possible, but actually to protect the trace's from multiple desoldering and removing IC's process to be done in the future. Till now i used dual leaf sockets but i am not always happy with the connectivity in some pins after a bit of use by plug/unplug an IC. I never use turned pin sockets and i want your opinion about them. What type of sockets do you use and why?

Also i am thinking to buy an IC strightener tool. Have you ever try any of those? Are they any good?

Thank you.
1024MAK
Bugaboo

Re: Dual leaf vs turned pin IC sockets.

Post by 1024MAK »

If you are only intending to change DIL / DIP chips on failure, or very rarely, dual wipe sockets are fine.

If you intend changing chips more often (e.g. EPROM chips for example) then turned pin sockets are far more durable and make better contact with the chip pins.

Turned pin sockets are also recommended if the PCB pads are fragile.

I use two clean wood lollipop sticks to bend or straighten DIL / DIP chip pins.

Mark
:!: Standby alert :!:
“There are four lights!”
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :dance
Looking forward to summer later in the year.
Firefox

Post by Firefox »

Muttley Black wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 10:35 am Also i am thinking to buy an IC strightener tool. Have you ever try any of those? Are they any good?
I've had one of those since the 80s, and they do a surprisingly good job. They're apparently made of a conductive plastic, so little danger of zapping chips as you straighten them.
Another sort I've used in some company labs is like a piece of I-beam girder with a pair of metal wheels mounted on it - you just slide the chip between the wheels and the pins come out straight. Probably not as portable as the first sort, though. :)
Muttley Black
Microbot

Post by Muttley Black »

I give it a try!

Yesterday i put turned pin sockets to a board an i realize that i need a tool like that. Turned pin sockets need IC legs to be straight as possible to be able to plug-in without damage. Also legs from desoldered IC's need to be clean enough.