esxDOS real 1:1 tape loading of TAP files

For experts to discuss very technical stuff and newbies to ask why the Spectrum they bought off ebay doesn't work.
patters
Manic Miner

esxDOS real 1:1 tape loading of TAP files

Post by patters »

Is there a technical reason there isn't an option to play TAP files at original speed with loading sounds, or even with sounds but faster?
I know instant load is convenient, but it would be more nostalgic to run them at say quad speed, or at original speed but with a key press speeding them up. I've asked the same question over at the ESXDOS board, but this community is somewhat more active and I know there are some people here with very comprehensive hardware knowledge...
PROSM
Manic Miner

Re: esxDOS real 1:1 tape loading of TAP files

Post by PROSM »

The DivIDE/DivMMC device, which esxDOS is designed for, loads games by overriding the BASIC tape routines and then dumping the data into RAM straight from the flashcard. As such, there is no facility to simulate the tape loading sounds. Such a feature probably could be written into the firmware (I'm not too familiar with these devices, so I'm not too sure), but at that point, why spend money on a flash memory solution if you could just plug your Speccy into an audio player with a WAV version of the TAP? :)
All software to-date
Working on something, as always.
hikoki
Manic Miner

Re: esxDOS real 1:1 tape loading of TAP files

Post by hikoki »

Off-topic, Otla allows for loading times around 50 secs (around 11000 bps) and supports mp3 besides wav