ESXDOS and Chromebook

For experts to discuss very technical stuff and newbies to ask why the Spectrum they bought off ebay doesn't work.
stupidget
Dynamite Dan

ESXDOS and Chromebook

Post by stupidget »

Just got myself a Lenovo Chromebook as a stop gap until I get a new laptop when I start my new job, but, I'm having a problem. I've got a DivMMC with an ESXDOS SD card, but, when I plug the card into my Chromebook I can't copy anything onto it. I can copy files from the SD card to the Chromebook, but, I can't copy files onto the card. I've plugged in a USB stick and I can copy files onto that fine.

Anybody got any ideas?
PeterJ
Site Admin

Re: ESXDOS and Chromebook

Post by PeterJ »

How is the SD Card formatted? Is it FAT16, FAT32 or NTFS?
stupidget
Dynamite Dan

Post by stupidget »

PeterJ wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:53 pm How is the SD Card formatted? Is it FAT16, FAT32 or NTFS?
Not sure to be honest. There is a Terminal on a Chromebook that you bring up using Ctrl+Alt+T called crosh (Chrome OS Developer SHell), but, I've not idea what the command is to check the formatting of the SD card.
Seven.FFF
Manic Miner

Post by Seven.FFF »

The internal card slot in my laptop inexplicably went read-only, for all cards. Maybe a damaged pin? Unlikely to be that if your chromebook is new though.
Robin Verhagen-Guest
SevenFFF / Threetwosevensixseven / colonel32
NXtel NXTP ESP Update ESP Reset CSpect Plugins
stupidget
Dynamite Dan

Post by stupidget »

Seven.FFF wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:07 pm The internal card slot in my laptop inexplicably went read-only, for all cards. Maybe a damaged pin? Unlikely to be that if your chromebook is new though.
It's just odd that I can drag files from the card to my chromebook but not vice-versa. So I'm thinking if it was something to do with formatting then I wouldn't be able to read the card at all.
Seven.FFF
Manic Miner

Post by Seven.FFF »

It shouldn’t be the formatting tbh. EsxDOS doesn’t do anything special with the formatting. Any standard FAT12, FAT16 or FAT32 card should work.

You could try reformatting the card with the official SD Association formatter, to be sure. You’d need to borrow a a win/mac/Linux machine to do this though.

It’s akso possible you have a duff or fake card, but that’s very unlikely if the same card works with a USB adaptor.

I would stick with using the adaptor for now, unless a chromebook expert comes along.
Robin Verhagen-Guest
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Seven.FFF wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:06 pm It shouldn’t be the formatting tbh. EsxDOS doesn’t do anything special with the formatting. Any standard FAT12, FAT16 or FAT32 card should work.

You could try reformatting the card with the official SD Association formatter, to be sure. You’d need to borrow a a win/mac/Linux machine to do this though.

It’s akso possible you have a duff or fake card, but that’s very unlikely if the same card works with a USB adaptor.

I would stick with using the adaptor for now, unless a chromebook expert comes along.
I just mentioned because Chrome OS will read, but not write to MacOS Formatted cards.
Seven.FFF
Manic Miner

Post by Seven.FFF »

PeterJ wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:16 pm I just mentioned because Chrome OS will read, but not write to MacOS Formatted cards.
Good point. esxDOS doesn't work with NTFS, MacOS or APFS formats though, so if the card works on a divMMC device itself (enough to register as an empty drive, even if there aren't any files on it yet) then it should be in an acceptable format.

Sorry, I misread stupidget's original post - I thought he had tried the card in a USB adaptor(like this), but he tried a separate USB stick.
Robin Verhagen-Guest
Pobulous
Dynamite Dan

Post by Pobulous »

It's not the write protect tab on the SD Card is it?
stupidget
Dynamite Dan

Post by stupidget »

Pobulous wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:50 pm It's not the write protect tab on the SD Card is it?
Nope, I checked that first. It’s works fine when plugged into my MAC but I must admit it’s very very slow copying files over which I think is down to the fact I have to use an NTFS app to read it.
Seven.FFF
Manic Miner

Post by Seven.FFF »

EsxDOS doesn’t support NTFS-formatted SD cards, see above. It seems likely that’s why ChromeOS doesn’t write to the card either.

Download the official SD Association formatter on your mac, and reformat the card as FAT32.

https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter/
Robin Verhagen-Guest
stupidget
Dynamite Dan

Post by stupidget »

Seven.FFF wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:56 pm EsxDOS doesn’t support NTFS-formatted SD cards, see above. It seems likely that’s why ChromeOS doesn’t write to the card either.

Download the official SD Association formatter on your mac, and reformat the card as FAT32.

https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter/
Thing is that the card works fine in my DivMMC. Think I’ll reformat and see what happens. Must remember to copy all my snapshots :shock: