48k issue 2 crash/reset at idle

For experts to discuss very technical stuff and newbies to ask why the Spectrum they bought off ebay doesn't work.
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Re: 48k issue 2 crash/reset at idle

Post by Ast A. Moore »

FelisSapien wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 4:44 pm There's also the possibility that I cooked the ROM when removing it. Not sure how I'd determine that.
Plug it into the programmer and try to read it. Then compare the dump with a known-good Spectrum 48K ROM image.
Every man should plant a tree, build a house, and write a ZX Spectrum game.

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
and zasm Z80 Assembler syntax highlighter.
FelisSapien
Drutt

Re: 48k issue 2 crash/reset at idle

Post by FelisSapien »

It sounds so reasonable when you put it that way! ;)

I'll have a read up on how I might read a 23128. It doesn't look as though my programmer supports that directly. It's a TL866II+, btw

What I was considering was flashing a new (EP)ROM making further board mods to support it. The modifications don't seem too risky but on further problems I'll still be in a position where I don't know if the socket or the chip (or something else) is at fault.

This is all very new ground for me. Typically I've been able to revive old machines with little effort on the hardware front. I currently have this Spectrum and a BBC Master that are stretching my level of comprehension!