Spectrum +2 RS232 to ZX Interface 1

For experts to discuss very technical stuff and newbies to ask why the Spectrum they bought off ebay doesn't work.
Morpheus
Microbot

Spectrum +2 RS232 to ZX Interface 1

Post by Morpheus »

I have just repaired my interface 1 with one of Charles’ vLA1 parts and was wondering if anyone had connected these two before, that being the +2 Grey and a 48K with IF1 using the RS232 ports. I have seen an adapter on the inter web with a BT jack to a DSub so wondered if it was possible to network them without a second IF1.
R Tape loading error, 0:1
1024MAK
Bugaboo

Re: Spectrum +2 RS232 to ZX Interface 1

Post by 1024MAK »

Yes, it should be possible, but keep in mind that both the Interface 1 RS232 port is bit bashed as is the +2 RS232 port.

By bit-bashed, I mean that for transmission, the Z80 has to carry out the parallel to serial conversion and then toggling the output pin.
For reception, the Z80 has to monitor the input pin, then work out the timing of the input bits, then carry out serial to parallel conversion.
Just one of these takes up a very large amount of processor time. This rather limits how useful these ports are.

Mark
:!: Standby alert :!:
“There are four lights!”
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :dance
Looking forward to summer later in the year.