Spectrum+ 48k repair

For experts to discuss very technical stuff and newbies to ask why the Spectrum they bought off ebay doesn't work.
Slauri
Drutt

Re: Spectrum+ 48k repair

Post by Slauri »

Okay
1024MAK
Bugaboo

Post by 1024MAK »

A 48K ZX Spectrum draws between 600mA and 700mA (with no expansions connected). 700mA is half the rated capacity of the Sinclair ZX Spectrum 9V 1,4A PSU.

The output of the PSU is required not to drop below 9V at the full load current of 1.4A. The output voltage is not specified at other output current levels.

When connected to a ZX Spectrum, the PSU output voltage is usually between 10V and 12V. You can measure this on the left hand leg / pin of the 7805 voltage regulator chip. Use the metal heatsink tab as the 0V/GND/ground point for your meter.

If the PSU you have been using has similar characteristics, then it is unlikely to have damaged your Spectrum. However, issue 2 boards really don’t like an input voltage of 11.9V or greater (unless they have had their on board DC/DC converter circuitry upgraded).

Mark
:!: Standby alert :!:
“There are four lights!”
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :dance
Looking forward to summer later in the year.
Slauri
Drutt

Post by Slauri »

Nevermind, my universal power supply has a 9 volt option too.
Slauri
Drutt

Post by Slauri »

The power supply might actually be the culprit, because the picture is much different after swapping out the entire lower ram and the cpu. It still shows garbage but is it normal for the ULA to heat up in the center in under 30 seconds?
Slauri
Drutt

Post by Slauri »

Oh, it heats up in under 15 seconds.
Slauri
Drutt

Post by Slauri »

Is there any way to test the ula?
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ast A. Moore »

Slauri wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:15 pm Is there any way to test the ula?
Sure, in a known-good machine. Keep in mind that ULAs are usually only backward compatible, so a later-issue ULA will work in all the previous Spectrum models, but that might not be the case the other way around.
Every man should plant a tree, build a house, and write a ZX Spectrum game.

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
and zasm Z80 Assembler syntax highlighter.
Slauri
Drutt

Post by Slauri »

Any other ways?
1024MAK
Bugaboo

Post by 1024MAK »

If the machine is generating a video output /even if it’s full of different coloured squares and other ‘garbage’), that’s most of the ULA working (the main function of the ULA is to generate the video display, produce the CPU clock, deal with the keyboard and interface to the speaker ear and mic sockets.

If the area of the ‘lower’ RAM (4116 or equivalent) contains garbage data, the ULA does not care, it will read and then display this ‘information’. It’s the code running from the ROM that clears the memory and sets up black text on a white background.

Mark
“There are four lights!”
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :dance
Slauri
Drutt

Post by Slauri »

I tested the voltage on the ROM and it was good. I'll replace the tr4 too. Is there any equivalents to the ZTX 650 transistor?
1024MAK
Bugaboo

Post by 1024MAK »

Slauri wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 5:18 am I tested the voltage on the ROM and it was good. I'll replace the tr4 too. Is there any equivalents to the ZTX 650 transistor?
ZTX651, or ZTX653

Mark
“There are four lights!”
Slauri
Drutt

Post by Slauri »

Can i replace the ZTX213 transistor with ZTX750 or ZTX753?
1024MAK
Bugaboo

Post by 1024MAK »

Before you change anything else, can you please post up what voltages you get on the +9V, +5V, +12V and -5V rails. I posted details on how to do this here.

And yes, TR5 (ZTX213) can be replaced with a ZTX750 or ZTX753 (as well as many other small signal PNP types although the lead out may not be the same as the ZTX213 that was originally fitted).

Mark
“There are four lights!”
Slauri
Drutt

Post by Slauri »

On the ULA pin 13 there is only 3.17 volts. On the pin 14 there is almost perfect 5 volts. Is this normal?
Slauri
Drutt

Post by Slauri »

The picture changes when the ULA heats up.
1024MAK
Bugaboo

Post by 1024MAK »

The voltage on pin 13 of the ULA will be lower than the voltage on the +5V rail due to resistor R34 (15 ohms).

Internally the ULA operates at a much lower supply voltage (less than 1.8V).

I can’t remember what the normal voltage is on pin 13, I would have to test one of mine. But I am not in a position to do that today.
Slauri wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:09 pm The picture changes when the ULA heats up.
In what way?

Mark
“There are four lights!”
Slauri
Drutt

Post by Slauri »

The machine had been on for a while already. I pressed the reset button multiple times and this happened: https://youtu.be/PVr2weWOylE
1024MAK
Bugaboo

Post by 1024MAK »

The ULA is displaying the random content (garbage data) of the lower (4116) DRAM. But although the CPU looks to be running, it is not able to write new data to the lower (4116) DRAM. Hence the program in the ROM is unable to clear the memory and generate the normal screen display.

You can tell that the CPU is running, by the border mostly being white (one of the first things the program code in the ROM does after power up / reset is to turn the border white (although it sometimes get described as light grey) and later on, for some random reason (likely due to the random data in RAM) it shows moving “loading” bars (stripes) in the border area.

You also do not appear to have any colours on screen.

I’ve ran out of time for now. If I remember, I post some more tomorrow.

Mark
“There are four lights!”
Slauri
Drutt

Post by Slauri »

>>You also do not appear to have any colours on screen.
I was just adjusting the trims before I recorded the video.

>>You can tell that the CPU is running, by the border mostly being white.
Yes. Before i replaced the CPU or the lower ram the border would stay black and it wouldn't do anything when I pressed the reset button.
Before: https://youtu.be/mGKvQZV_2P4
After: https://youtu.be/PVr2weWOylE
Slauri
Drutt

Post by Slauri »

I noticed an another problem. If the machine had been on for a while the top section of the screen would start to flicker a bit, and after a few minutes the top section would go nuts. It just went out of sync and flickered even more. At that point I disconnected the power cable and cooled down the voltage regulator and the ULA with some compressed air. I turned the machine on again. Now the bottom section was going crazy too. I let the machine cool down for half an hour and the flickering was gone.
llopis
Drutt

Post by llopis »

I haven't read the whole thread, but did you change the capacitors? With problems like these, you might as well start there. That way you can rule that out as a potential problem.
Slauri
Drutt

Post by Slauri »

Recapping was the first thing i did.
Slauri
Drutt

Post by Slauri »

Hi everyone, i got 2,98 volts on the pin 1 of the lower ram. The other voltages were good.
Firefox

Post by Firefox »

That should be -5V, so that's obviously not good! No wonder your lower RAM isn't working.

I was looking at how the voltage generation circuity functions just the other day, but it's already evaporated out of my head...

The alternative to fixing the -5V generator is to fit a lower RAM replacement board, which doesn't need -5V.
Slauri
Drutt

Post by Slauri »

I already have the lower ram replacement board soldered in :P