Multiple Sinclair Interface 1s

For experts to discuss very technical stuff and newbies to ask why the Spectrum they bought off ebay doesn't work.

Interface 1 questions - please select...

Poll ended at Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:12 am

Did you have an Interface 1 in back in the heyday (1983 - 1986)?
27%
During the 1980s, did you ever have more than one Interface 1 (with a suitable ZX Spectrum to use them with)?
No votes
Have you ever had more than one Interface 1 (with a suitable ZX Spectrum to use them with)?
36%
Have you ever used the serial port on the Interface 1? (If yes, please give details if you think it will be interesting for others)
18%
Have you ever connected multiple Interface 1s (each with a Speccy) together to form a network?
9%
If you have formed a network, was it a semi-permanent set-up?
No votes
If you have formed a network, was it just for fun or just to try it out?
9%

Total votes: 11

1024MAK
Bugaboo

Multiple Sinclair Interface 1s

Post by 1024MAK »

After reading the Interface 1 LAN thread, it got me thinking :shock: (duck for cover :lol:)

How many actually have an Interface 1 and how many do you have?

If you have any interesting stories please do tell ;-)

Mark
:!: Standby alert :!:
“There are four lights!”
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :dance
Looking forward to summer later in the year.
1024MAK
Bugaboo

Re: Multiple Sinclair Interface 1s

Post by 1024MAK »

So, I now have three Interface 1s. I was never a fan of Microdrives back in the 1980s, so just used tape. So never had an Interface 1 back then.

Mainly because although I used to program in BASIC rather a lot, and dabbled with assembly / machine code, cost was a factor and buying a new game vs. saving up pocket money for an Interface 1 and Microdrive, well, the games won!

Since becoming active again, I decided I wanted to try using a PC to communicate with a ZX Spectrum. So the serial port on the Interface 1 looked to be the easiest method. So that’s how I got my first Interface 1. Since then I have obtained a number of Spectrums, and gained two more Interface 1s due to them being in collections.

Although I was aware of the Interface 1 network ports, for some reason, I never thought about connecting them up as a network :oops:

Now I will have to try to find the time to give this a go :mrgreen:

Mark
:!: Standby alert :!:
“There are four lights!”
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :dance
Looking forward to summer later in the year.
Turtle_Quality
Manic Miner

Post by Turtle_Quality »

Got my Interface1 and microdrive quite early. Don't think I had any friends using them, so never tried the network aspect. The microdrives were a step up in terms of speed and reliability from tape, but once I get a floppy disk connected that was miles better.

The ability to extend basic with the Interface 1 was nice, it really should have been built into the original spectrum.
Definition of loop : see loop
Hedge1970
Manic Miner

Post by Hedge1970 »

Back in the 80s I did not have an IF1 my Spectrum only lasted around 1 year before It broke and while it had a lasting effect on me - hence my return some 6 odd years ago I quickly moved on to other hobbies.

Fast forward I now have three IF1s with three Spectrums. I am often collocated and have a Speccy at each location and I keep one spare. I use Fruitcakes programmable ROMs to connect the spectrums through the IF1s serial port and load and save programs and games from my PC. While I started moving files between Speccys with Microdrives the issues the cartridges face soon had me searching for alternatives which lead me to finding the VDriveZXs. These fit in the original Microdrive case and connect through the IF1 and function as Microdrives but use SSD Memory. The drives also support the same format as Emulators although it’s not perfect.

Lastly I do like the angle the IF1 puts the Speccy keyboard at, feels better to me than a flat Speccy. While I have not tried networking yet it’s on the horizon.