The randomize of death

For experts to discuss very technical stuff and newbies to ask why the Spectrum they bought off ebay doesn't work.
Ersh
Manic Miner

Re: The randomize of death

Post by Ersh »

1024MAK wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 8:10 pm The Vectrex uses a different system. This type of CRT system is completely different to the way conventional CRT monitors and TVs work. With the Vectrex, the beams position is directly controlled by the program. So if your program gets things wrong, it could leave the beam in one position. This could produce a very bright spot. With a high beam current and the beam not moving, this will damage the phosphors.
Yup. I also looked up the manual and it states:

The value given for the intensity setting must not be negative ($80 - $FF). Setting the intensity to a negative value may result in damage to the Vectrex.

Combine that with having the gun firing at static point and doing damage could be possible.
Alone Coder
Manic Miner

Re: The randomize of death

Post by Alone Coder »

On certain disk drives (I tried МС5313) you can switch the motor on and off with audio frequency. And you hear the actual sound because the head goes up and down. I played a tune this way until I found that the disk drive alignment went bad. This is reversible, but requires work. So, that's one method to break the hardware.