ZX Spectrum +2 tape deck not working.

For experts to discuss very technical stuff and newbies to ask why the Spectrum they bought off ebay doesn't work.
akeley
Dynamite Dan

ZX Spectrum +2 tape deck not working.

Post by akeley »

I got this unit from a guy in my area who does retro repairs and builds various components. It was supposed to be thoroughly tested and have the RGB and AY fixes. When I got it I saw that few keys aren't working and the guy said he would fix it for me. This has happened again after the first repair (some keys still not working) and the computer has been thus couriered twice back and forth.

When I got it the first time I checked the tape deck and it's been working fine - I loaded a couple of games no problem. Then I think I've sent it off for the first repair and in the meantime got one of these car tape adapters with a jack so I could load tzx games off a smartphone. When the unit came back from the first repair I tried this adapter but it didn't work. I don't remember if I tried to load my normal tapes though. Then I sent it off again and when it came back I did try to load a game from tape - it did not work.

So, I'm not sure if the deck got damaged in transit or if perhaps it was the fault of this cheap adapter (it has never really fit properly). The tape is spinning and rewinding ok, there is no sound of any sort though and no indication of anything being loaded either, not even a faint signal or border changing.

I also have an external solution to load games from SD, but would like the tapes to work too. I have no experience in retro computer repair (apart form building PCs) but I can open it up and look for some more obvious causes if that's at all viable. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Can provide more details or photos on request. Thanks!
RMartins
Manic Miner

Re: ZX Spectrum +2 tape deck not working.

Post by RMartins »

I would say, that it highly depends on "how" you can "look" into it.

If you list, what trouble shooting devices you have, it might make help easier to get.
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Re: ZX Spectrum +2 tape deck not working.

Post by Ast A. Moore »

There’s a 5-pin connector on the right side of the logic board, which connects the tape deck’s amplifier to the computer. Take a look at it and make sure it’s seated properly. While you’re at it, you can take out the tape deck’s amp board and visually inspect it for sorts or broken connections. Chances are a wire broke loose at some point while the guy was handling the computer. Shouldn’t be a big deal.
Every man should plant a tree, build a house, and write a ZX Spectrum game.

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
and zasm Z80 Assembler syntax highlighter.