NOXROM Cartridge

For experts to discuss very technical stuff and newbies to ask why the Spectrum they bought off ebay doesn't work.
RMartins
Manic Miner

Re: NOXROM Cartridge

Post by RMartins »

hikoki wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:43 pm ^^^
Sounds good.. you mean an interface to make Sinclair macines manage up to 80K? I assume games which are based on that limit would work on Amstrad machines too
Most probably it will not be an interface, since you have to manage the following (t least):
- replace high memory with new 64K 4116 chips, that are completely good
- rework some of the internal decoding logic, to support the extra memory
- support some kind of paging register

But this is a limited solution, because most people will not want to mess with the internal guts of their 48K machine.

But this could provide some interesting features, like a shadow screen for a 48K (80K) :)
Seven.FFF
Manic Miner

Post by Seven.FFF »

I remember something in a mag, back in the day (possibly Tim Hartnell or Toni Baker?) teasing access to 80K. I saw a reference to it recently, but I can't find it now.
Robin Verhagen-Guest
SevenFFF / Threetwosevensixseven / colonel32
NXtel NXTP ESP Update ESP Reset CSpect Plugins
RMartins
Manic Miner

Post by RMartins »

Seven.FFF wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:12 pm I remember something in a mag, back in the day (possibly Tim Hartnell or Toni Baker?) teasing access to 80K. I saw a reference to it recently, but I can't find it now.
I believe this could be it, the SP80 (an interface to add 2*32K to a Spectrum 16K).
https://archive.org/details/your-spectr ... 9/mode/2up