Spectrum+RGB+modern keyboard

For experts to discuss very technical stuff and newbies to ask why the Spectrum they bought off ebay doesn't work.
akeley
Dynamite Dan

Spectrum+RGB+modern keyboard

Post by akeley »

I'm mulling over a possibility of this kind of setup. I have a +2 with fixed RGB (I output to a CRT TV) and the image quality is very good. But the keyboard is a bit..precious, so to speak, it works but I always worry it might stop any minute (I already had it repaired once) and some keys are not 100% responsive.

Also, I recently got a setup where I can use a PS2 keyboard with my Amstrad 6128+ (actually, a modded GX4000) and I love it. Somehow I still get the retro vibe from the machine itself even though I'm cheating a bit with the keyboard :)

So, is there a possibility of connecting PS2/USB keyboard to a +2? I've only found this "Interface 1bis" thingy which claims to be able to enable it. It seems kinda obscure though, but rather cheap and fuull of options...has anybody used it before?

I've also just bought a Spectrum 48K. Thought about going this route - there is a cheap PS2 interface in Lotharek's shop. But then I'd need RGB too - and the only option I know of (Spectra interface) a) is a bit pricey b) says it may not work with DIV mass storage devices
So, would a complex chain like this - PS2 interface+Spectra+a DivIDE storage be at all possible/feasible/sensible?

Any advice re: above would be appreciated, and other ideas are also most welcome.
1024MAK
Bugaboo

Re: Spectrum+RGB+modern keyboard

Post by 1024MAK »

The only other PS/2 interface that I know of that was manufactured was the unit from Ben, but it does not appear on his current shop site www.bytedelight.com.

The Spectra does work with various mass storage devices (I tested those that I owned when I first got my Spectra Interface). But some features of the Spectra then can’t be used. The RGB output will still work though.

But the biggest problem is not all interfaces have a pass through bus (edge-connectors). And even when they do, a knock, bump or other vibration can cause one or more connector contacts to momentarily break and then make, this then causes the program running on the computer to crash :evil:

So if you go this route, you may want to investigate a method of mechanically fixing everything together so that none of the boards can move.

In regards the keyboard on the +2, I take it that this is the +2 grey (uses a 9V PSU with a 2.1mm/5.5mm barrel connector) and not the later +2A or +2B which use a DIN connector for the PSU.

There are no PS/2 interfaces that plug in the expansion port / edge-connector for the +2A, +2B, +3 and +3B because the internal circuitry is different and such an interface is not practical.

The +2, +2A, +2B, +3 and +3B all use a membrane. The vast majority of faults with these keyboards are simply the mechanism including the membrane becoming sticky with dirt. If you dismantle the keyboard, often a gentle wipe with a damp (water and a normal detergent like washing up liquid) cloth and cleaning the plastic keys and their supports is enough to get them working again.

Mark
:!: Standby alert :!:
“There are four lights!”
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :dance
Looking forward to summer later in the year.
akeley
Dynamite Dan

Re: Spectrum+RGB+modern keyboard

Post by akeley »

Hi Mark, thank you for an exhaustive reply.

I'm not sure where I will go with this...probably will stick with my +2 though (which is the latter one with DIN power), if you say that fixing eventual keyboard faults is not such a big deal.

On the other hand I love using the rubber Spectrum, it's just so cute. But composite...uhhh. I've just had a rude awakening regarding its IQ quality. So I would definitely have to get a Spectra...