Another eBay gamble

For experts to discuss very technical stuff and newbies to ask why the Spectrum they bought off ebay doesn't work.
HappyLittleDiodes
Drutt

Another eBay gamble

Post by HappyLittleDiodes »

I think I got lucky with this one!
It looks in really good shape except for the face plate.
Haven't done any checks yet... just a first looksee :D
https://youtu.be/RHPBncMMBpM
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Re: Another eBay gamble

Post by Juan F. Ramirez »

Restoring it seems a true challenge!

I have the feeling this will be an interesting thread! :)
HappyLittleDiodes
Drutt

Honestly I don't think there's a whole lot to do as long as nothing too weird is happening with the electronics.
I would love to restore the face plate, but what can I do except try to paint the areas that have flaked off? I wouldn't be able to match the colour and I don't know any methods to print or transfer to it. I think I will end up just buying a replacement or donating one from another speccy.

Unless anybody has any tips for me!
RMartins
Manic Miner

Post by RMartins »

HappyLittleDiodes wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 10:32 pm Honestly I don't think there's a whole lot to do as long as nothing too weird is happening with the electronics.
I would love to restore the face plate, but what can I do except try to paint the areas that have flaked off? I wouldn't be able to match the colour and I don't know any methods to print or transfer to it. I think I will end up just buying a replacement or donating one from another speccy.

I restored one face plate that was a bit kinked, using just a wooden rolling pin for pasta and some gentle heat, in some parts.
It takes some patience, but it was important to keep the original face plate on this one, since it's the original 48K of a friend of mine, and all the dings and dangs that it had, meant something to him.

But your face plate, actually looks flat and straight.
HappyLittleDiodes
Drutt

RMartins wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 8:50 pm
HappyLittleDiodes wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 10:32 pm Honestly I don't think there's a whole lot to do as long as nothing too weird is happening with the electronics.

I restored one face plate that was a bit kinked, using just a wooden rolling pin for pasta and some gentle heat, in some parts.
It takes some patience, but it was important to keep the original face plate on this one, since it's the original 48K of a friend of mine, and all the dings and dangs that it had, meant something to him.

But your face plate, actually looks flat and straight.
Yes it's not too far out, but I don't think I can restore the paint
HappyLittleDiodes
Drutt

A small update for you.

- I cleaned the case and keyboard
- Did the initial tests, all OK
- Plugged it in, heard the whine, OK
- Checked voltages, 12V is 12.7V but generally OK, better than expected
- Plugged it into my TV......
Spoiler