components prone to fail

For experts to discuss very technical stuff and newbies to ask why the Spectrum they bought off ebay doesn't work.
rleao
Drutt

components prone to fail

Post by rleao »

Hi,

I recently bought a zx spectrum 48k in ebay and i am very much in love with it. I will be going back to brazil next year (that makes importing stuff much harder), so I was planning to take some spare parts with me that are prone to fail. Are there any suggestions? I guess voltage regulators and passive components arent hard to find but maybe the ULA? Keyboard membrane? thanks a lot

richArdson
richardson leao
Neuroscientist, Uppsala University
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Re: components prone to fail

Post by Ast A. Moore »

The ULA is pretty much the only IC that you’ll need to worry about. If it’s a later board revision (Issue 5 and 6), then another custom IC is the ZX8401. The LM1889 and the lower RAM ICs are difficult—but not impossible—to come by nowadays, even though they used to be off-the-shelf parts.

I suggest getting a few more boards for spare parts.

Keyboard membranes are readily available from multiple sources, so I wouldn’t worry about those.
Every man should plant a tree, build a house, and write a ZX Spectrum game.

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
and zasm Z80 Assembler syntax highlighter.
1024MAK
Bugaboo

Re: components prone to fail

Post by 1024MAK »

This is a list of recommended spares:
  • 4116 (or equivalent) DRAM chips rated at 150ns,
  • 4164 (or equivalent) DRAM chips rated at 200ns,
  • ZTX651 or ZTX653 (to replace TR4)
  • Z80A or CMOS version (rated 4MHz or greater)
  • ULA if you can find one (and can afford one) or a ULA replacement,
  • Various electrolytic capacitors (axial type) if the board still has the originals fitted,
  • Maybe a spare keyboard membrane (depending on the condition of the one on your machine).
If the board is a lower issue than a 4B, then consider bringing the DC-DC up to Sinclair’s last modification version (see here). Or at least, take the parts with you...

Mark
:!: Standby alert :!:
“There are four lights!”
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :dance
Looking forward to summer later in the year.