ZX Spectrum Next

For experts to discuss very technical stuff and newbies to ask why the Spectrum they bought off ebay doesn't work.
jmk
Berk

Re: ZX Spectrum Next

Post by jmk » Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:31 am

I'm finding it hard to keep up-to-date with the current hardware specs. Initially it was going to run at 7 Mhz with "everything switched on", then it went up to 14 Mhz, which was really impressive. But now it's gone back to 7 Mhz again... Maybe they shouldn't have told anyone that it might run at 14 Mhz. ;)

Also, I was a bit disappointed to hear that it doesn't support ULAplus anymore. It doesn't handle Radastan mode either. It handles the original Spectrum screen and its own hardware extensions, which are admittedly impressive.

Sometimes the only way to find out these details is to read individual comments on Facebook posts. It's not ideal, but I guess they don't want to publicise specs that are not finalised.

Anyway, I am still looking forward to it, whether I end up doing anything with it or not!
0 x
Just like before, it's yesterday once more.

Blerkotron
Berk

Post by Blerkotron » Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:30 pm

Pegaz wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:19 pm
btw, does it have any insider information, about release date?
Three months is not a lot of delays if the distribution of the board would start soon.
Email this evening says the 'board only' versions will start shipping November 27th.
0 x

Pegaz
Berk

Post by Pegaz » Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:58 pm

Thats good.
We need some positive event, to bring back optimism after Vega+ debacle...
1 x

R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:11 pm

Is there a list anywhere, or can anyone summarise the likely final features of the Next? (Hardware sprites, SID etc)
0 x

Whacker
Berk

Post by Whacker » Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:37 pm

Any news on when a 2nd round of orders might start..? or when the next schematic is made available to clones?
0 x

1024MAK
Dizzy

Post by 1024MAK » Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:27 am

Whacker wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:37 pm
Any news on when a 2nd round of orders might start..? or when the next schematic is made available to clones?
That I don't know. But hopefully everyone who ordered a PCB only, or a PCB with the rest to follow, should now have their PCB.
I understand that some PCBs have been held up within the various postal systems :-(

Mark
0 x

namco
Berk

Post by namco » Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:19 pm

I didn't back it as I had little money at the time but I am looking forward to a retail release.

I have a couple of planned projects for it - one starting fairly soon and the other starting at the end of the year (2018).
0 x

Spud
Dizzy

Post by Spud » Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:39 pm

I didn't back it either, but wish I had. I'll probably buy one eventually at retail as long as it isn't prohibitively expensive at whatever time that is.
0 x

RMartins
Microbot

Post by RMartins » Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:54 am

I got my PCB two weeks ago, but have not had a chance to power it up yet.

WARNING:
They changed the Power plug polarity !!!
On Next, Center is Positive, and outer is negative.

So DO NOT connect an original Sinclair power supply to it, or you will probably fry the thing.

Go read the FAQ, to prevent burning your board, by assuming things.
I almost did connect it, but I was concerned, so I searched for info about it, and found it on the website.

I won't be surprised, if someone just assumes (logically), that the old bricks should make it work.

I'm not sure, if the power plug polarity change was a good or bad idea:
- Good, because most modern power supplies are reversed when compared with the Spectrum.
- Bad, if the Next is not Protected against reverse polarity, it can be "Magic Smoke" on first try.
NOTE: it doesn't look like it has any reverse polarity protection, at least I have not seen any Input Power Diode in there.

Keeping it as it was, retro compatible, would probably be safer, and would also allow us to use the old power bricks.

It also seems weird that you can plug old interfaces to the thing, but not the power supplies.
This change doesn't make much sense to me, since there is a risk involved, and not much to gain from the change.
0 x