Zx Spectrum Plus does not respond to keyboard commands

For experts to discuss very technical stuff and newbies to ask why the Spectrum they bought off ebay doesn't work.
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Re: Zx Spectrum Plus does not respond to keyboard commands

Post by Ast A. Moore »

Just for kicks and giggles, test TR3 (above the KB1 connector, in the middle of a bunch of resistors and capacitors). Also check C67. Oh, and I’m sure you already did, but just to be sure, check that there’s 5V on R25’s lead that’s opposite the one connected to the TR3’s collector.
Every man should plant a tree, build a house, and write a ZX Spectrum game.

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
and zasm Z80 Assembler syntax highlighter.
balford
Drutt

Re: Zx Spectrum Plus does not respond to keyboard commands

Post by balford »

This is going to be a ULA problem, unfortunately. What happens is that one of the KBx lines in the ULA gets stuck low, so the ROM code thinks multiple keys are permanently held down, therefore no keypresses can be registered. If you run a diagnostic program that displays the status of port 0xFE then you can actually see the stuck bit associated with the broken line.

Issue 3 machines with 6C001E-6 ULA's are especially prone to such issues as these ULA's are quite fragile - I've got a broken one with exactly the same fault in my spares box.
Fixing ZX Spectrums in the 21st Century
https://github.com/brendanalford/zx-diagnostics