Raspiboy

For experts to discuss very technical stuff and newbies to ask why the Spectrum they bought off ebay doesn't work.
chernandezba
Microbot

Raspiboy

Post by chernandezba »

Hi

I don't know if this has been discussed before, but I find it interesting:

http://www.8bcraft.com/

I have a raspiboy and I think it's the perfect portable console to emulate the Spectrum. They recommend to install Retropie. And I also recommend to install Retropie+ZEsarUX on it ;) Can be installed on the "extras emulator" menu, but can also be compiled from source code with little effort. ZEsarUX has perfect integration with raspiboy, having a button to open the menu, other to get the on-screen keyboard, and the others, of course, to emulate joystick.
It has a Raspberri Pi Zero inside, and a custom board+battery+pad+display for the rest. Running ZEsarUX, the battery lasts 8 hours aprox.
That was the "star" on my ZEsarUX stand on the past RunZX event ;)

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=537

Cheers
Pegaz
Dynamite Dan

Re: Raspiboy

Post by Pegaz »

Well, 118 euros for the kit, without Raspberry Pi inside I think it's too much.
Nintendo DS Lite or DSi XL, with installed ZXDS is still far the best Spectrum portable solution...
chernandezba
Microbot

Post by chernandezba »

Well the DIY kit is just 75€, I mounted it by myself and it's very easy. And then you will have a full Linux distribution (retropie recommended)
About Nintendo DS... well, to install ZXDS you need a Flash Cart as ZXDS is not supported legally on the DS.... It's a lot easier to develop on a rpi than on DS

Cheers
chernandezba
Microbot

Post by chernandezba »

Pegaz wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:05 am Nintendo DS Lite or DSi XL, with installed ZXDS is still far the best Spectrum portable solution...
Well I really recommend that you try ZEsarUX on a rpi ;)
Pegaz
Dynamite Dan

Post by Pegaz »

I've been using ZEsarUX on Pi for more than two years, but as a desktop solution on a large LCD TV screen.
DSiXL with ZXDS is the ultimate handheld Spectrum combo, outstanding quality of emulation on pixel perfect 256x192 screen resolution, there's nothing better than that.
Flash card can be bought legally and if you use it only for ZXDS, which is free, you can be relaxed, Nintendo will not send you to jail. ;)
chernandezba
Microbot

Post by chernandezba »

Pegaz wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:06 am I've been using ZEsarUX on Pi for more than two years, but as a desktop solution on a large LCD TV screen.
Thanks, good choice :)
DSiXL with ZXDS is the ultimate handheld Spectrum combo, outstanding quality of emulation on pixel perfect 256x192 screen resolution, there's nothing better than that.
Yes, DS display has exactly 256x192 pixels, so it's perfect for speccy emulation. But raspiboy has good display quality too :)
Flash card can be bought legally and if you use it only for ZXDS, which is free, you can be relaxed, Nintendo will not send you to jail. ;)
Well I don't know the legal implications about using it. I have a DSiXL with ZXDS, it's a very good emulator, but as you may guess, I use ZEsarUX more than others ;)
fenderjaguar
Drutt

Post by fenderjaguar »

Pegaz wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:06 amDSiXL with ZXDS is the ultimate handheld Spectrum combo, outstanding quality of emulation on pixel perfect 256x192 screen resolution, there's nothing better than that.
Yeah, couldn't agree more. I have a regular ds lite with the original R4. Just about best and cheapest spectrum emulator. When I see all these people making big spectrum laptops etc, I think it gets a little ridiculous, when you can just pick up a little DS, the original DS lite is so bright and looks amazing with this spectrum resolution.

Also, an R4, unless it was used with DS roms, there's nothing going against copywrite. It's not like you're behaving like I am, using a 3DS with boot9strap, luma3ds and freeshop/fbi etc (proper little pirate :lol: )