ZX Vega+ Discussion

For experts to discuss very technical stuff and newbies to ask why the Spectrum they bought off ebay doesn't work.
chinnyhill10
Drutt

Re: ZX Vega+ Discussion

Post by chinnyhill10 »

PeteProdge wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:40 pm
Imagine where he'd be if he just shrugged his prejudices and realised that the Spectrum was first and foremost a games machine. If he embraced all that, invested more into it (like Alan Sugar did when he got his mitts on the Sinclair range), he'd could swim in a reservoir of notes and coins like Scrooge McDuck.

But no, an electric cart with a top speed of 15mph is what he thought the public wanted.
One of the most telling things was that when Amstrad were casting their eye over all the computer projects Sinclair had in development, they said "no thanks" to the lot and offloaded the QL rights. There was nothing market viable there which is the real tragedy. The next generation of Spectrum should have been on the shelves for Xmas '85 but Clive was more interested in the C5 and Water Scale Integration and the Speccy was just a distraction that was bankrolling the entire circus.

All they had to do was sell and develop the Spectrum and not throw too much away on risky projects. It's nuts really.
chinnyhill10
Drutt

Post by chinnyhill10 »

1024MAK wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:37 pm

As the home computer market took off, Sugar then saw a market he could make money from. Hence entered the home computer market some years after the ZX Spectrum had been launched

I have a nasty feeling there is still a lot of the story that we still don't know. When the original team split up, is when I feared the worse, but hoped that the new team could pull a rabbit out of the hat. I'm not that surprised that they haven't.

Mark

[For the record, I have CPC machines as well as ZX Spectrums]
The CPC was in gestation for a while. It was early '83 that the first abortive attempt at the CPC went into development. It eventually came to market 2 years after the Spectrum had launched in '84. And it was a competitive market as well. Over 20 different competing home computers on the market at the time. People lost fortunes, companies went bust. Very few companies walked away from the '82 to '85 period unscathed although ironically Sinclair's wounds were self inflicted.

But ironically this period *is* relevant to the Vega. Scan through the pages of Personal Computer News and you will find story after story of missed deadlines, promises not kept, vapourware, fallings out, financial disasters and high drama. In fact things were so bad that when the Amstrad DMP1 printer is launched PCN comment that Amstrad were unusual in delivering the product that they said they would, at the price they said they would and on time!

It's actually the full early 80's computer experience complete with the 'pre-orders' that Clive encouraged in that famous QL launch where he had no machines.

And yeah there is gonna be a book on the Vega fiasco and somehow I don't think anyone will be cast in a good light.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

The QL did turn up though. I have a rather nice example sitting in it's original box next to me. Innovation is a risk, and that's probably why he played poker in later life, but I for one am pleased he took those risks.

I too look forward to the full Vega+ honest story, but I gave up on getting my £100 back, a long, long time ago. When I think of how long the trolls have spent on social media moaning about things under their false names I feel quite sad and sorry for them. Get outside and enjoy life! Spend it with friends and people and things you care about. It isn't long until life is over.
Seven.FFF
Manic Miner

Post by Seven.FFF »

Levy was at it in the 80s too. The Register article on the mismanaged development and launch of the Elan Enterprise is a great read.

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/10/2 ... years_old/
Robin Verhagen-Guest
SevenFFF / Threetwosevensixseven / colonel32
NXtel NXTP ESP Update ESP Reset CSpect Plugins
chinnyhill10
Drutt

Post by chinnyhill10 »

PeterJ wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:03 pm The QL did turn up though. I have a rather nice example sitting in it's original box next to me. Innovation is a risk, and that's probably why he played poker in later life, but I for one am pleased he took those risks.
Yes it did but look at the mess. Delays, broken promises, dongles on the back to fix the ROM, micro drives getting warm and becoming unreliable. A nice boxed example is one thing, having laid out the equivalent of nearly a grand back in the day for a late broken computer may have felt quite different.
chinnyhill10
Drutt

Post by chinnyhill10 »

Seven.FFF wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:07 pm Levy was at it in the 80s too. The Register article on the mismanaged development and launch of the Elan Enterprise is a great read.

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/10/2 ... years_old/
I'd forgotten the link to the Enterprise. A product so late it missed the boat totally. In fact so delayed it was in development before the 464, press launched the same month as the 464 (Amstrad had finished units, Enterprise didn't) and by the time it hit the shelves the CPC 664 was out and the 6128 was a couple of months away!

It's a lovely computer and it was produced and very collectable now. You have to wonder how much money was lost on it all.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

At least something turned up eventually unlike the original topic of the thread!

Apart from membranes, 35 Years later mine are still working!

The Enterprise was indeed a lovely machine, just too late.
Ralf
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ralf »

I didn't knew about Levy's involvement with Enterprise machine.

Enterprise was technically a good machine, yet it turned out to be a commercial failure. Maker your own conclusions but for me it speaks about business skills of guys in charge. And now the history repeats.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Ralf wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:22 am I didn't knew about Levy's involvement with Enterprise machine.

Enterprise was technically a good machine, yet it turned out to be a commercial failure. Maker your own conclusions but for me it speaks about business skills of guys in charge. And now the history repeats.
It arrived at a similar time to the 16Bit machines, so was just too late. Sad. The Sam had similar issues
Ralf
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ralf »

It arrived at a similar time to the 16Bit machines, so was just too late. Sad. The Sam had similar issues
If I remember correctly:

Sam Coupe was released at 1990 when it was much too late for 8 bit machine.

Enterprise was released in 1985. At the same time as Spectrum 128. At this time 16 bits machine just only appeared, they were very expensive and nobody knew how to write programs for them so the existing software was often crap. And Enterprise at moments could display graphics with quality compared to let's say Amiga so it would be a serious competition for existing 8 bits.

As I read the problem with Enterprise was lack of software and lack of interest from retailers (which probably came form lack of software ;) )
1024MAK
Bugaboo

Post by 1024MAK »

The dongle on the first QL machines may well have been a publicity stunt really. The real problem was that Clive wanted an advanced OS and an advanced BASIC in ROM and have a ROM cartridge slot. All in a 64K byte memory area. Once the design of the custom chips had been finalised, the size of this memory area was fixed.

But the development of the OS and BASIC did not go the way Sinclair expected. So Sinclair arranged for another OS to be developed. Because the combined size of the OS and BASIC was greater than intended, it did not fit in the 32K byte space that had been planned to be used. The first QLs were supplied with two 16K byte ROMs on the main board, with one 16K byte ROM in the dongle. A total of 48K bytes of ROM.

Sinclair could have fitted two 32k byte EPROM chips in the QL. On the issue 5 boards there are two sockets that can take a variety of different ROMs/EPROMs, but both have to be same type. Later a modification was done so that a 32K EPROM and a 16K EPROM could be fitted. The final ROMs were mask programmed ROM chips, one 32K bytes in size and one 16K bytes in size.

The intended memory map was this:

Code: Select all

FFFFF
      Reserved - expansion I/O
C0000
      Reserved - add on RAM
      Main RAM (96K bytes)
      Screen RAM (32K bytes)
      I/O devices
     Reserved (I/O devices)
      ROM cartridge slot (32K bytes)
      ROM (system ROM containing OS and SuperBASIC) (32K bytes)
This is how it ended up:-

Code: Select all

FFFFF
      Reserved - expansion I/O
C0000
      Reserved - add on RAM
      Main RAM (96K bytes)
      Screen RAM (32K bytes)
      I/O devices
      Reserved (I/O devices)
      ROM cartridge slot (16K bytes)
0C000
      ROM (system ROM containing OS and SuperBASIC) (48K bytes)
The cartridge slot at only 16K bytes capacity was of no practical use as a way of software distribution. So in reality, it was a waste of time. Was used for some "toolkit" software and some hardware interfaces though. I don't think it being its original intended size of 32K bytes would have made any difference.

I don't have an early version of the QL. They are rare, as Sinclair either replaced the whole machine or the PCBs after the owners returned the first QLs (Sinclair had a general recall for all the first QLs).

Anyway, a while ago, someone in the Retro community got hold of an early QL complete with dongle. They were expecting no end of problems when they powered it up. But to their surprise, it worked. They could load and run software off the microdrives. The machine was usable. See this QL Forum post.

You are right though that it was very common in the fledgling home computer industry for products to be late to market. In fact, this was not limited to the home computer industry, but was the typical way that a lot of small businesses operated.

That's why consumer TV programmes always advised viewers to be careful when ordering from mail order companies.

So the Vega+ / Retro computers is no different to any other company that has failed it's customers. That's not unique to the computer boom in the early 1980's in my opinion.

Sinclair may have got in trouble for late delivery of machines. But their customers did get a working machine eventually.

Mark
:!: Standby alert :!:
“There are four lights!”
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :dance
Looking forward to summer later in the year.
chinnyhill10
Drutt

Post by chinnyhill10 »

PeterJ wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:30 am
Ralf wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:22 am I didn't knew about Levy's involvement with Enterprise machine.

The 16 bits had next to no impact in 1985. Yes the ST and Amiga were announced and technically speaking out there towards the end of the year but they were pretty much made of unobtainium as far as the end users were concerned. Expensive, niche and no software support. It's only '88/89 that they start to have much bearing on things with the price drops and the retail packs with games.

Nobody is sitting around in '85 going "I won't get an Enterprise as I'll get an ST instead". The Enterprise failed because it was late, overpriced and consumers and retailers had been burnt by multiple new systems failing. Amstrad already had established links with major retailers and a brandname so had no trouble getting their units on shelves and then getting the punters to trust them. Enterprise, by their own admission, struggled.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

[mention]chinnyhill10[/mention], It was just too late, the market was already saturated by then. It went the same way as many of the other machines of the time. Spectrums, CPCs and C64s ruled the roost. Nothing was going to change that. It was late in terms of the 8bit machines, and whilst it may have not had a big impact (agree with you), I think it was part of the issue with new more powerful machines being discussed.

I still wish I purchased a load before they were shipped abroad, I could have retired on the profits!
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Sir Clive is no longer a director of RCL. Poor health has been given as the reason.
Mike Davies
Microbot

Post by Mike Davies »

PeterJ wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:29 pm Sir Clive is no longer a director of RCL. Poor health has been given as the reason.
There's some misdirection going on in RCL's statement.

Sir Clive never was a Director or Shareholder of RCL. The Companies House records show that it's Sinclair Research Ltd as the Shareholder (https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/comp ... 5/officers), which Sir Clive controls. However, the duties as Director and Shareholder fell to a representative nominated by Sinclair Research. That person was Lady Angie Sinclair (Angie Bowness), she signed the Shareholders Agreement in November 2014 as the nominated representative in both capacities.

What I'm a little fuzzy about is that Lady Sinclair resigned the SRL Directorship of RCL in early 2017 (I can't remember what the source is for that), before the acrimonious/public divorce apparently initiated by Sir Clive while he was hospitalised (as reported by the Daily Mail in April 2017). Perhaps that resignation was rescinded by another representative of SRL thereafter, and that's why the Companies House records weren't updated.

As far as I can tell Sir Clive has not been involved in RCL, except to receive a £10k payment, and to weigh in that RCL have no interest/scope in Commodore 64 retro devices.
bob_fossil
Manic Miner

Post by bob_fossil »

Just when you thought this all running out of puff, a load of newly leaked documents have appeared on the 'unofficial Vega news web site'* over the last few days, which cast doubt on whether Vega can even preceded by the letters Z and X and whether more than 10 were produced.

* Not linked to as I'm not sure whether it's OK to link to from here. Typing the first two words of this topic's title into your favourite search engine will get you there.
5MinuteRetro
Manic Miner

Post by 5MinuteRetro »

bob_fossil wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:41 pm Just when you thought this all running out of puff, a load of newly leaked documents have appeared on the 'unofficial Vega news web site'* over the last few days, which cast doubt on whether Vega can even preceded by the letters Z and X and whether more than 10 were produced.

* Not linked to as I'm not sure whether it's OK to link to from here. Typing the first two words of this topic's title into your favourite search engine will get you there.
I've followed this whole debacle closely, if mostly quietly, but... I'm as far away as ever tonight from understanding Levy and Martin's motivation and/or end game here. I'm hoping tomorrow will at the very least be satisfying; but I'm hoping more that the weeks and months following will at last be truly revealing,
Retro stuff, real quick
YouTube: http://bit.ly/5MinuteRetro
Twitter: https://twitter.com/5MinuteRetro
Ralf
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ralf »

Yes, it's probably true that they just built only a few prototypes and these prototypes had a lot of faults and they never corrected these faults as they were losing all their energy for legal battles.
druellan
Dynamite Dan

Post by druellan »

PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Mine has not yet arrived, but it does not look as though I'm missing much!

It looks as though RCL have lost the rights to use the Sinclair brand from August 7

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-45024267
pavero
Dynamite Dan

Post by pavero »

PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Wow, that's a good profit!
PaddyC13
Drutt

Post by PaddyC13 »

Watched the video and I have to say I cannot believe RCL sent these devices out. The packaging alone is unbelievable - what a load of tosh calling it ethical! As for the device itself - total junk and an insult to Rick Dickinson's original concept and memory. I cannot believe I fell for this one and gave RCL my money. Still, lesson learned. To be honest, you would be better off with a Nintendo DSi and ZXDS.

Paddy
Ralf
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ralf »

I wonder how it feels when you wait for something for years, when you have some crazy big hopes about it and when it finally comes, it's total crap.

If I understand correctly:
- no instructions
- things rattling losely in the box
- no power cord
- scratched screens
- foils falling away
- very limited choice of games
- unplayable, buttons have to be pressed very hard

plus probably much more.
Genuinely it seems like they are sending the failed prototypes to people.
Maybe it's finally time to close this saga.
druellan
Dynamite Dan

Post by druellan »

Ralf wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:16 am - unplayable, buttons have to be pressed very hard
Yeah, that's the point for me. We can discuss the quality of the thing and the presentation, but those buttons are prototype-level. No one in the company cared enough to bring a prototype home and play with it, or do something about the problem.