ZX Vega+ Discussion

For experts to discuss very technical stuff and newbies to ask why the Spectrum they bought off ebay doesn't work.
jmk
Drutt

Re: ZX Vega+ Discussion

Post by jmk »

It really is time for the public figures associated with the project to think about what is happening. A wasteland is being created in the name of justice.

They really should consider the long-term implications of being associated with some of those acting in their names. Thank them for their efforts in supporting their cause, but draw a clear line between that which is acceptable and that which is not.

Simply put, this must cease.
Just like before, it's yesterday once more.
Vampyre
Manic Miner

Post by Vampyre »

1024MAK wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:40 pm
Vampyre wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:39 amWhat didn't help was the two factions (and I'm talking about the scene, not the company itself) being constantly at war and, let's face it, the side that believed it was a complete mess won out in the end.
IMHO everyone looses. No one wins.
Oh, don't get me wrong. When I say won, it's the hollowest of hollow victories.
ZX Spectrum Reviews REST API: http://zxspectrumreviews.co.uk/
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

RCL have been given an order to wind up by the courts. If we hadn't already given up hope of getting any money back, now is the time to put it down to experience.

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/comp ... ng-history

Papers will appear within 5 days.

That's the risk of crowdfunding...

Thanks for continuing to keep this thread good humoured and factual.
AndyC
Dynamite Dan

Post by AndyC »

A really sad end to what should have been a fantastic product. It always felt like something that should have been entirely achievable, but somehow wandered off on a bad route due to the individuals involved. And probably a sign we won't ever see a speccy handheld device ever.
stupidget
Dynamite Dan

Post by stupidget »

Just get one of these instead!!!! Drooollll

https://www.dorchester3d.com/printing/b ... t-handheld
Seven.FFF
Manic Miner

Post by Seven.FFF »

Baggers has one of these that he walks round making everyone jealous with :D
Robin Verhagen-Guest
SevenFFF / Threetwosevensixseven / colonel32
NXtel NXTP ESP Update ESP Reset CSpect Plugins
stupidget
Dynamite Dan

Post by stupidget »

Seven.FFF wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:39 pm Baggers has one of these that he walks round making everyone jealous with :D
I saw in the posts on the site that he’d got one. Lucky bugger, or should that be Bagger? 🤣
Joefish
Rick Dangerous

Post by Joefish »

I just set myself up with a DS Lite and ZXDS. Really impressive, Mr Rak.
Haven't quite figured out what all the options do, but I love the keyboard on the touch screen.
The card's not going anywhere near my 3DS XL though.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Hi [mention]Joefish[/mention]

Interesting. Did you follow a write up for this, and is it quite straightforward? Which if the Nintendo DS models is best? I've looked at them in CeX (Think they used to be called Computer & Games Exchange) and there seem be be lots of different similar models.
Joefish
Rick Dangerous

Post by Joefish »

Not really a write-up, but it was fairly easy.
I picked the DS Lite because with the models after that (DSi, XL, 3DS etc.) they (a) started to have firmware that would update, try and counter the cards, and lock you out of the on-line games store and (b) they dropped the GBA cartridge slot off the bottom. Note that all the different models have different power supplies, stylus sizes, and screen sizes if you want to buy stick-on protectors. Even on the DS Lite with the same display behind them, the two screens are slightly different apertures.
I got the R4 Upgrade SDHC card off eBay in the end. You also need to buy a micro SD card. The R4 packaging gives you a website to go to. You go there, find the downloads, find the card you've got, and download files. Unzip them, and put them in the root of the SD card. No need to re-format it, or firmware flash the R4 card. It just works. But it will time out if not updated, so in years to come you'll have to set the date back on your DS to 2019.
The ZXDS files you just unzip and put in the root of the SD card too (with various directories from the unzip). You can move the ZXDS.nds file (which is the main app) from its directory up to the root of the card. I don't know if that's essential, but I did. .TAP files then go in one of the folders you copied across with ZXDS. Then you put the micro SD in the R4 and put it in the DS. It shows up as whatever game they nicked the signature files off.
Some homebrew and emulators require patching to enable saving. I can't remember where I got it from but there's a Windows version of the patcher, and you need to download the appropriate patch file for your R4 card. I don't think ZXDS needs it.
I found GBATemp.net and Gamebrew.org useful sites. Let me know if you can't figure something out.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Hi [mention]Joefish[/mention]

Very informative and much appreciated.

Peter
stupidget
Dynamite Dan

Post by stupidget »

I just use Fuse on my good old PSP. Great screen size and the direction buttons are perfect. I also run a Megadrive and NeoGeo emulator on it. Happy Days :)