ZX Vega+ Discussion

For experts to discuss very technical stuff and newbies to ask why the Spectrum they bought off ebay doesn't work.
Vampyre
Dizzy

Re: ZX Vega+ Discussion

Post by Vampyre » Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:39 am

Personally I had little interest in the thing from the start, and even less so now, but the whole debacle has been a toxic mark on the scene that has fractured it almost beyond repair. Prominent members of the scene leaving over it is an utter shame.

What didn't help was the two factions (and I'm talking about the scene, not the company itself) being constantly at war and, let's face it, the side that believed it was a complete mess won out in the end.

It also didn't help that higher profile members of the scene supported it, primarily WoS leadership and followers IMO, but I don't really blame them here; they were lead down the garden path with false promises. But it still leaves a bitter taste in the mouth the false promises they regurgitated only to backtrack completely.

It may have happened, I long ago left any toxic Spectrum social media, but it would help if the two factions could find some middle ground, apologise to one another and move on. I don't think that's going to happen given the egos and bitterness involved though.

I've kept my mouth shut from the start about it, waiting to see how it would play out, but it would have been better that it had never been thought of. I never saw the point anyway: a Nintendo DS is a far superior mobile alternative.
1 x

Ralf
Manic Miner

Post by Ralf » Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:43 am

Jesus. Why on earth would someone promise something like that?
I can confirm he did it. Jonathan engaged quite strongly into Vega+ project, gave his unconditional support to it and said many times it will be delivered to backers. I believe it was his feeling of "honour" - if it turns out that I lied, I'll quit.

Personally I don't approve his support for David Levy who seems to be very shady businessman with "sharp business practices" as someone called it. Jonathan made a bad choice but well, sometimes it happens to all of us.

But I respect Jonathan for his other deeds at Spectrum scene and this means to me he still deserves some respect, not hatred.
0 x

8BitAG
Microbot

Post by 8BitAG » Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:47 am

It's a sobering reminder that community sites like WOS and Spectrum Computing should keep projects like that at arm's length... Offering to help make connections between the companies and people who could help in the community is fine, but it is extremely risky to get involved more deeply with a commercial venture. Especially when these commercial ventures often aim to exploit IP whose ownership is pretty nebulous.
1 x

PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ » Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:22 pm

Agreed ,

Can I stress that we have never, and will never have in the future any commercial connections.
4 x

PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ » Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:22 pm

PeterJ wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:22 pm
Agreed ,

Can I stress that we have never, and will never have in the future any commercial connections.
Although if anyone from Sony is reading this and they want to sponsor the site in return for a 55" Ultra HD TV I'm open to bribery!
1 x

Joefish
Manic Miner

Post by Joefish » Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:59 pm

PeterJ wrote:
Agreed ,
So who pays the hosting bills then?
0 x

PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ » Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:02 pm

Joefish wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:59 pm
PeterJ wrote:
Agreed ,
So who pays the hosting bills then?
Me from my personal bank account, £15 plus VAT per month from Digital Ocean. I also pay domain registration. A very kind user donates £10 per month, but I cover the rest. The SSL certificate is through let's encrypt which is free. I have also previously had two one off donations from users.

There may be a time in the future (especially if we need more space or the donation stops) that I need to ask for help with the bills, but for now I'm fine.
0 x

Joefish
Manic Miner

Post by Joefish » Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:10 pm

Fair enough.
I was a bit narked to see fingers going into pies surrounding the CGC. I pay for a chunk of webspace with not a lot on it anyway, and did wonder why something as small-scale as that needed commercial backing.
0 x

Morkin
Manic Miner

Post by Morkin » Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:24 pm

Joefish wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:10 pm
Fair enough.
I was a bit narked to see fingers going into pies surrounding the CGC. I pay for a chunk of webspace with not a lot on it anyway, and did wonder why something as small-scale as that needed commercial backing.
Might have been a 'pay per UDG' arrangement...
0 x

1024MAK
Manic Miner

Post by 1024MAK » Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:40 pm

Vampyre wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:39 am
What didn't help was the two factions (and I'm talking about the scene, not the company itself) being constantly at war and, let's face it, the side that believed it was a complete mess won out in the end.
IMHO everyone looses. No one wins. The backers don’t get the item they were expecting, and if they get anything, it is far later than they were led to believe. We won’t even talk about the lack of quality.
The splits, in fighting and so on in the community will take a long time to heal.
Members of the community who were upset don’t forgive the other people who annoyed them.
Some talented members leave the community.

And all the deliberate misleading or deliberate winding up that went on has not helped one little bit.

It does not surprise me one bit that some social groups have degenerated into something you may see in a junior school playground.

In short, we have the worst possible outcome.

Mark
1 x