ZX Vega+ Discussion

For experts to discuss very technical stuff and newbies to ask why the Spectrum they bought off ebay doesn't work.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Re: ZX Vega+ Discussion

Post by PeterJ » Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:03 pm

I won't ever be able to see anything bad about Sir Clive! As for the Vega+ it sadly caused a huge amount of damage and long term hurt to the community.
0 x

chinnyhill10
Berk

Post by chinnyhill10 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:12 pm

PeteProdge wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:56 am

I never backed it because there were always cheaper alternatives to the ZX Vega+, and if you've watched ChinnyVision, there's one of a cheap Android gaming tablet that doesn't just emulate the Spectrum, it does just about every system you could expect from the emulation scene these days.
And that's basically it. People assume you need a state of the art iPhone or Samsung to do this stuff when a cheap tablet from 2013 works just fine. Decent screen, ran everything I threw at it. And that was what, 50 quid? In fact second hand (and mine is currently on Ebay) even less!

Or if you want to throw your money around, for as little as 100 you can have something quite nice indeed that runs a new version of Android.

It's all nuts. A product that is only selling on the Sinclair name. It's kind of fun when you find a Megadrive handheld for 10 quid. Bit crap but works. But for the kind of money they wanted for a single format device and on a format that is well emulated on everything from the Amiga to the iPhone X, nah!
1 x

chinnyhill10
Berk

Post by chinnyhill10 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:18 pm

PeteProdge wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:24 pm
PaddyC13 wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:27 am
I have to say I am surprised that Sir Clive has not stepped in sooner (or his son on his behalf).
To be quite blunt, Sir Clive Sinclair is not the hero of retrogaming that some make him out to be. He's really stubborn, HATES the fact that Spectrum was used for gaming and well, let's be honest, decided the future of motoring was in some tiny plastic cart powered by a washing machine motor that left you nose-level with a lorry's exhaust pipe.
He seems to get a free pass over the QL which saw hardware promised that didn't exist, bugged hardware and delay after delay. Oh and the money was taken up front and promises made about delivery dates that were broken again and again. Sound familiar?

Sinclair and others doing this heavily influenced Alan Sugar's policy of not announcing products until they physically existed. Amstrad product launches from the 464 onwards had demo machines air freighted in from the production line (i.e ahead of the boat) for the people attending to use.
2 x

Spud
Microbot

Post by Spud » Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:21 pm

PROSM wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:36 pm
That isn't to say that Sir Clive wasn't a good inventor, just that some of his ideas weren't thought out very well.
I would imagine for most inventors: for every decent invention there is a bunch of arse that came before it and likely after it.
0 x

chinnyhill10
Berk

Post by chinnyhill10 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:22 pm

PeterJ wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:03 pm
I won't ever be able to see anything bad about Sir Clive!
And this is why RCL made sure he was on-board. The friendly uncle image. Not the man who used to promise stuff that didn't exist and caused his company to go bust by spending all the profits on projects that went nowhere.
0 x

PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ » Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:31 pm

chinnyhill10 wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:22 pm
PeterJ wrote:
And this is why RCL made sure he was on-board. The friendly uncle image. Not the man who used to promise stuff that didn't exist and caused his company to go bust by spending all the profits on projects that went nowhere.
You are right, but I don't think the Spectrum would have existed without him. He is great at invention but not business!
3 x

PeteProdge
Manic Miner

Post by PeteProdge » Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:40 pm

PeterJ wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:31 pm
chinnyhill10 wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:22 pm
PeterJ wrote:
You are right, but I don't think the Spectrum would have existed without him. He is great at invention but not business!
Imagine where he'd be if he just shrugged his prejudices and realised that the Spectrum was first and foremost a games machine. If he embraced all that, invested more into it (like Alan Sugar did when he got his mitts on the Sinclair range), he'd could swim in a reservoir of notes and coins like Scrooge McDuck.

But no, an electric cart with a top speed of 15mph is what he thought the public wanted.
1 x

PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ » Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:48 pm

@PeteProdge, as mentioned above great at invention, not so good at business. I think that taking risks with new products is great, and sadly missing today. The world is full of people who made bad business decisions, but without some of these you would not have innovation that the UK used to be famed for. So I'm summary, I do partially agree with you, but not completely. That is fine!
0 x

hikoki
Manic Miner

Post by hikoki » Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:12 pm

C'mon.. think of self-driving C5 bikes on your cycle lane networks.. wouldn't it be jawesome? Obviously Sinclair AI algos should be fist be improved to prevent your jaw from bumping into other C5 and regular bicycles
0 x

1024MAK
Manic Miner

Post by 1024MAK » Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:37 pm

If you are going to judge Clive Sinclair and Alan Sugar, keep in mind that both of them were not exactly known for quality products before they got into the computer business.

And keep in mind why the ZX80, ZX81 and the ZX Spectrum were successful, it was being able to come up with a design that was cheaper than the competition. And hence got a huge chunk of the new U.K. home computer market. But Sinclair always was only interested in his new ideas. If the ZX80 had not been successful, he would have given up with computers at that point. His computers were just another product.

As the home computer market took off, Sugar then saw a market he could make money from. Hence entered the home computer market some years after the ZX Spectrum had been launched (some of the delay being the development time of what became the CPC464). He took advantage of his skills, that is getting his products produced overseas at low cost and finding a team that could design and produce a computer that was at least as good as, and in many ways, better than the ZX Spectrum, but which had the 'feel' of the Acorn BBC Micro. Plus he sold it as a bundle, and in the U.K. at least, most people love a bargain bundle :D

But I don't think any of this is relevant to the Vega+ or Retro Computers. Clive Sinclair is not going to save the day. As a shareholder, you are mostly interested in getting your investment back. How you manage that with Retro Computers, I don't know. And I don't think anyone else does either. Hence this will drag on for some time yet.

I have a nasty feeling there is still a lot of the story that we still don't know. When the original team split up, is when I feared the worse, but hoped that the new team could pull a rabbit out of the hat. I'm not that surprised that they haven't.

Mark

[For the record, I have CPC machines as well as ZX Spectrums]
2 x