ZX Vega+ Discussion

For experts to discuss very technical stuff and newbies to ask why the Spectrum they bought off ebay doesn't work.
chinnyhill10
Berk

Re: ZX Vega+ Discussion

Post by chinnyhill10 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:44 pm

PeteProdge wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:40 pm

Imagine where he'd be if he just shrugged his prejudices and realised that the Spectrum was first and foremost a games machine. If he embraced all that, invested more into it (like Alan Sugar did when he got his mitts on the Sinclair range), he'd could swim in a reservoir of notes and coins like Scrooge McDuck.

But no, an electric cart with a top speed of 15mph is what he thought the public wanted.
One of the most telling things was that when Amstrad were casting their eye over all the computer projects Sinclair had in development, they said "no thanks" to the lot and offloaded the QL rights. There was nothing market viable there which is the real tragedy. The next generation of Spectrum should have been on the shelves for Xmas '85 but Clive was more interested in the C5 and Water Scale Integration and the Speccy was just a distraction that was bankrolling the entire circus.

All they had to do was sell and develop the Spectrum and not throw too much away on risky projects. It's nuts really.
2 x

chinnyhill10
Berk

Post by chinnyhill10 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:58 pm

1024MAK wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:37 pm

As the home computer market took off, Sugar then saw a market he could make money from. Hence entered the home computer market some years after the ZX Spectrum had been launched

I have a nasty feeling there is still a lot of the story that we still don't know. When the original team split up, is when I feared the worse, but hoped that the new team could pull a rabbit out of the hat. I'm not that surprised that they haven't.

Mark

[For the record, I have CPC machines as well as ZX Spectrums]
The CPC was in gestation for a while. It was early '83 that the first abortive attempt at the CPC went into development. It eventually came to market 2 years after the Spectrum had launched in '84. And it was a competitive market as well. Over 20 different competing home computers on the market at the time. People lost fortunes, companies went bust. Very few companies walked away from the '82 to '85 period unscathed although ironically Sinclair's wounds were self inflicted.

But ironically this period *is* relevant to the Vega. Scan through the pages of Personal Computer News and you will find story after story of missed deadlines, promises not kept, vapourware, fallings out, financial disasters and high drama. In fact things were so bad that when the Amstrad DMP1 printer is launched PCN comment that Amstrad were unusual in delivering the product that they said they would, at the price they said they would and on time!

It's actually the full early 80's computer experience complete with the 'pre-orders' that Clive encouraged in that famous QL launch where he had no machines.

And yeah there is gonna be a book on the Vega fiasco and somehow I don't think anyone will be cast in a good light.
2 x

PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:03 pm

The QL did turn up though. I have a rather nice example sitting in it's original box next to me. Innovation is a risk, and that's probably why he played poker in later life, but I for one am pleased he took those risks.

I too look forward to the full Vega+ honest story, but I gave up on getting my £100 back, a long, long time ago. When I think of how long the trolls have spent on social media moaning about things under their false names I feel quite sad and sorry for them. Get outside and enjoy life! Spend it with friends and people and things you care about. It isn't long until life is over.
1 x

Seven.FFF
Manic Miner

Post by Seven.FFF » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:07 pm

Levy was at it in the 80s too. The Register article on the mismanaged development and launch of the Elan Enterprise is a great read.

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/10/2 ... years_old/
3 x
Robin Verhagen-Guest
SevenFFF / Threetwosevensixseven / colonel32
seven-fff.com/blog

chinnyhill10
Berk

Post by chinnyhill10 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:49 pm

PeterJ wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:03 pm
The QL did turn up though. I have a rather nice example sitting in it's original box next to me. Innovation is a risk, and that's probably why he played poker in later life, but I for one am pleased he took those risks.
Yes it did but look at the mess. Delays, broken promises, dongles on the back to fix the ROM, micro drives getting warm and becoming unreliable. A nice boxed example is one thing, having laid out the equivalent of nearly a grand back in the day for a late broken computer may have felt quite different.
1 x

chinnyhill10
Berk

Post by chinnyhill10 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:13 pm

Seven.FFF wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:07 pm
Levy was at it in the 80s too. The Register article on the mismanaged development and launch of the Elan Enterprise is a great read.

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/10/2 ... years_old/
I'd forgotten the link to the Enterprise. A product so late it missed the boat totally. In fact so delayed it was in development before the 464, press launched the same month as the 464 (Amstrad had finished units, Enterprise didn't) and by the time it hit the shelves the CPC 664 was out and the 6128 was a couple of months away!

It's a lovely computer and it was produced and very collectable now. You have to wonder how much money was lost on it all.
0 x

PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ » Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:53 am

At least something turned up eventually unlike the original topic of the thread!

Apart from membranes, 35 Years later mine are still working!

The Enterprise was indeed a lovely machine, just too late.
0 x

Ralf
Manic Miner

Post by Ralf » Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:22 am

I didn't knew about Levy's involvement with Enterprise machine.

Enterprise was technically a good machine, yet it turned out to be a commercial failure. Maker your own conclusions but for me it speaks about business skills of guys in charge. And now the history repeats.
0 x

PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ » Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:30 am

Ralf wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:22 am
I didn't knew about Levy's involvement with Enterprise machine.

Enterprise was technically a good machine, yet it turned out to be a commercial failure. Maker your own conclusions but for me it speaks about business skills of guys in charge. And now the history repeats.
It arrived at a similar time to the 16Bit machines, so was just too late. Sad. The Sam had similar issues
0 x

Ralf
Manic Miner

Post by Ralf » Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:01 am

It arrived at a similar time to the 16Bit machines, so was just too late. Sad. The Sam had similar issues
If I remember correctly:

Sam Coupe was released at 1990 when it was much too late for 8 bit machine.

Enterprise was released in 1985. At the same time as Spectrum 128. At this time 16 bits machine just only appeared, they were very expensive and nobody knew how to write programs for them so the existing software was often crap. And Enterprise at moments could display graphics with quality compared to let's say Amiga so it would be a serious competition for existing 8 bits.

As I read the problem with Enterprise was lack of software and lack of interest from retailers (which probably came form lack of software ;) )
0 x