What floppy disk drive system do you own AND use?

For experts to discuss very technical stuff and newbies to ask why the Spectrum they bought off ebay doesn't work.
Post Reply

What floppy disk drive system do you own AND use?

Poll ended at Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:20 pm

ZX Spectrum +3 with original 3 inch disk drive
5
38%
ZX Spectrum +3 with a 3.5 inch disk drive (internal or external)
2
15%
ZX Spectrum +3 with HxC or Gotek (or other) floppy dive simulator
1
8%
Beta 128
1
8%
DISCiPLE
0
No votes
+D
2
15%
Opus (with original drives)
1
8%
Opus (with 80 track double sided 3.5 inch drives)
1
8%
 
Total votes: 13

User avatar
1024MAK
Manic Miner
Posts: 238
Joined: Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:52 pm
Location: Sunny Somerset in the U.K. in Europe

What floppy disk drive system do you own AND use?

Post by 1024MAK » Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:20 pm

What floppy disk drive system do you own AND use?

By use, I mean you actually use it regularly (more than twice a month) or occasionally (more than six times a year). Not that you have one and have used it a few times when it was new to you.

I've listed the most common systems, but feel free to include any that I have forgotten or did not know about in the thread.
Also, if you have a disk drive system that you own, but currently don't use, but would like to use if software was available for it, please tell us.

Note that I am putting this poll on other forums, please only vote on one forum.

Mark
0 x

User avatar
PeterJ
Site Admin
Posts: 844
Joined: Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:19 pm
Location: Surrey, UK

Re: What floppy disk drive system do you own AND use?

Post by PeterJ » Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:37 pm

Hi, I also have the floppy disk system from ByteDelight based on the MGT devices.
0 x
The Spectrum Computing Christmas 2018 charity prize draw is now live!

Ralf
Manic Miner
Posts: 904
Joined: Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:59 am
Location: Poland

Re: What floppy disk drive system do you own AND use?

Post by Ralf » Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:10 pm

Actually none :)

By the way, by Beta 128 you mean Tr-Dos, right?
0 x

User avatar
Guesser
Dizzy
Posts: 82
Joined: Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:35 pm

Re: What floppy disk drive system do you own AND use?

Post by Guesser » Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:52 pm

Hmm, what if you use both 3" and 3.5" drives on a +3, would you vote for both?

Not that I suppose I should vote at all as I don't use my speccies regularly at all, the +3 is all packed up in its box at the moment.
0 x
My rubbish website including the redrawn Amstrad schematics and the new home of the Sinclair FAQ wiki.

User avatar
Ast A. Moore
Manic Miner
Posts: 765
Joined: Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:16 pm

Re: What floppy disk drive system do you own AND use?

Post by Ast A. Moore » Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:53 pm

Ralf wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:10 pm
Actually none :)

By the way, by Beta 128 you mean Tr-Dos, right?
Yes, except that TR-DOS is a, well, DOS—a disk operating system, whereas Beta (128) Disk is the name of the actual interface. Granted, the two were developed by the same company to work in tandem so are essentially synonymous in many people’s minds.

The DISCiPLE interface used GDOS, the +D used G+DOS and SAM DOS, for instance.

Opus is actually somewhat of a misnomer. The interface was called the Opus Discovery, but mostly referred to as just the Discovery. (Not sure what they called their DOS, since it mostly used the Microdrive commands.)
1 x
Every man should plant a tree, build a house, and write a ZX Spectrum game.

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
and zasm Z80 Assembler syntax highlighter.

User avatar
Pegaz
Microbot
Posts: 161
Joined: Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:44 pm

Re: What floppy disk drive system do you own AND use?

Post by Pegaz » Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:15 pm

Currently I have Spectrum +3 and external 3.5 inch floppy drive attached and configured as primary boot drive.
Of course, I also have original 3 inch floppy internally, configured as secondary drive.
0 x

User avatar
1024MAK
Manic Miner
Posts: 238
Joined: Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:52 pm
Location: Sunny Somerset in the U.K. in Europe

Re: What floppy disk drive system do you own AND use?

Post by 1024MAK » Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:06 pm

Guesser wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:52 pm
Hmm, what if you use both 3" and 3.5" drives on a +3, would you vote for both?
"You may select up to 3 options"...
So yes, vote for both if you use both...

Mark
Last edited by 1024MAK on Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

User avatar
1024MAK
Manic Miner
Posts: 238
Joined: Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:52 pm
Location: Sunny Somerset in the U.K. in Europe

Re: What floppy disk drive system do you own AND use?

Post by 1024MAK » Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:09 pm

Ast A. Moore wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:53 pm
Ralf wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:10 pm
Actually none :)

By the way, by Beta 128 you mean Tr-Dos, right?
Yes, except that TR-DOS is a, well, DOS—a disk operating system, whereas Beta (128) Disk is the name of the actual interface. Granted, the two were developed by the same company to work in tandem so are essentially synonymous in many people’s minds.

The DISCiPLE interface used GDOS, the +D used G+DOS and SAM DOS, for instance.

Opus is actually somewhat of a misnomer. The interface was called the Opus Discovery, but mostly referred to as just the Discovery. (Not sure what they called their DOS, since it mostly used the Microdrive commands.)
Thank you for explaining this :D

Mark
1 x

User avatar
Guesser
Dizzy
Posts: 82
Joined: Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:35 pm

Re: What floppy disk drive system do you own AND use?

Post by Guesser » Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:31 pm

1024MAK wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:06 pm
"You may select up to 3 options"...
So yes, vote for both if you use both...
Voted for options 1 and 2 as that's what I did use before I got a spectranet and would use if I wanted to use my +3 away from the network, you can subtract those from the grand total if you think that's cheating :lol:
1 x
My rubbish website including the redrawn Amstrad schematics and the new home of the Sinclair FAQ wiki.

User avatar
Ast A. Moore
Manic Miner
Posts: 765
Joined: Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:16 pm

Re: What floppy disk drive system do you own AND use?

Post by Ast A. Moore » Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:35 am

1024MAK wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:09 pm
Ast A. Moore wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:53 pm
Ralf wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:10 pm
Actually none :)

By the way, by Beta 128 you mean Tr-Dos, right?
Yes, except that TR-DOS is a, well, DOS—a disk operating system, whereas Beta (128) Disk is the name of the actual interface. Granted, the two were developed by the same company to work in tandem so are essentially synonymous in many people’s minds.

The DISCiPLE interface used GDOS, the +D used G+DOS and SAM DOS, for instance.

Opus is actually somewhat of a misnomer. The interface was called the Opus Discovery, but mostly referred to as just the Discovery. (Not sure what they called their DOS, since it mostly used the Microdrive commands.)
Thank you for explaining this :D
My pleasure. That’s why I was sent down to this planet. :lol:
0 x
Every man should plant a tree, build a house, and write a ZX Spectrum game.

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
and zasm Z80 Assembler syntax highlighter.

Post Reply