Speccy help needed!

For experts to discuss very technical stuff and newbies to ask why the Spectrum they bought off ebay doesn't work.
SteveZX81
Drutt

Speccy help needed!

Post by SteveZX81 »

Hello, I need advice.
I just bought a ZX Spectrum+ on ebay, it has been recapped and has had the composite video mod.

However, like a total fool I just realised I no longer own a CRT TV or TV with composite input. Arrrgh!!
So, I wonder can I connect the Speccy to an old monitor via VGA?

I have seen this on Amazon:

www.amazon.co.uk/Composite-Converter-AM ... CS9F4FSF9M

I'm wondering if it will work on a ZX Spectrum+?

If not, is there anything (reasonable price) that I can buy to be able to use my new Speccy?

Thank you for your help!
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Re: Speccy help needed!

Post by Ast A. Moore »

SteveZX81 wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:42 am is there anything (reasonable price) that I can buy to be able to use my new Speccy?
An old CRT TV for the nominal price of “come pick it up or it’ll end up in a dumpster”? Worked for me. ;)
Every man should plant a tree, build a house, and write a ZX Spectrum game.

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
and zasm Z80 Assembler syntax highlighter.
SteveZX81
Drutt

Post by SteveZX81 »

Ast A. Moore wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 1:10 pm
SteveZX81 wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:42 am is there anything (reasonable price) that I can buy to be able to use my new Speccy?
An old CRT TV for the nominal price of “come pick it up or it’ll end up in a dumpster”? Worked for me. ;)
Thanks but I really don't have space for one, even a small one.

I've been searching online constantly for an answer to "will a composite to vga adaptor work" and I just cannot find an answer apart from "it should" and "I don't think it will" which are not very helpful. haha

Sadly I think I'll have to either try and return the Spectrum or just put it back on ebay and try to recoup some of my money.
Real shame though, I was dying to play some of my favourite games.
Ivanzx
Manic Miner

Post by Ivanzx »

What about the Euroconector?
SteveZX81
Drutt

Post by SteveZX81 »

Ivanzx wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 1:32 pm What about the Euroconector?
I have no idea what that is?
Bizzley
Microbot

Post by Bizzley »

Have a look on eBay, RCA phono to HDMI cables go for around £3.50, converter boxes for around £7. Whether they work or not I can't say but for £3.50 it's got to be worth a punt.
"He made eloquent speeches to an audience consisting of a few depressed daffodil roots, and sometimes the cat from next door."
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ast A. Moore »

SteveZX81 wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 1:20 pm I've been searching online constantly for an answer to "will a composite to vga adaptor work" and I just cannot find an answer apart from "it should" and "I don't think it will" which are not very helpful.
That’s because the 48K Spectrum doesn’t output a 100-percent kosher composite signal. Even some TVs—especially more modern ones—don’t like it. The question is not whether a converter will work; it’s whether it’ll recognize the signal from the Speccy as a valid composite signal.

Unfortunately, there’s no way of knowing that save for trying.

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
SteveZX81
Drutt

Post by SteveZX81 »

Ast A. Moore wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 2:39 pm
SteveZX81 wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 1:20 pm I've been searching online constantly for an answer to "will a composite to vga adaptor work" and I just cannot find an answer apart from "it should" and "I don't think it will" which are not very helpful.
That’s because the 48K Spectrum doesn’t output a 100-percent kosher composite signal. Even some TVs—especially more modern ones—don’t like it. The question is not whether a converter will work; it’s whether it’ll recognize the signal from the Speccy as a valid composite signal.

Unfortunately, there’s no way of knowing that save for trying.
Thanks for that info. However I'm now more confused than ever haha.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

I'm way from being an expert on the hardware aspects, but the 48K rubber key Spectrum I purchased with the composite mod had a standard aerial lead with a SCART connector at the end and it works with modern TVs on the AV setting. You can get the cables on eBay for a couple of pounds.
SteveZX81
Drutt

Post by SteveZX81 »

PeterJ wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 4:23 pm I'm way from being an expert on the hardware aspects, but the 48K rubber key Spectrum I purchased with the composite mod had a standard aerial lead with a SCART connector at the end and it works with modern TVs on the AV setting. You can get the cables on eBay for a couple of pounds.
Thanks, I'll go and look into that, hopefully it'll just plug into the Speccy and not require any soldering/wiring :)
MonkZy
Manic Miner

Post by MonkZy »

SteveZX81 wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:42 am I have seen this on Amazon:

www.amazon.co.uk/Composite-Converter-AM ... CS9F4FSF9M

I'm wondering if it will work on a ZX Spectrum+?
I bought a very similar looking device for use with my Spectrums. Unfortunately it proved to be useless with both a rubber key (composite mod with capacitor) and a +2 grey (composite via the DIN socket). The image is terribly distorted with shearing of the image reminiscent of horizontal hold problems on old UHF tellys. :( I use the gadget with a Raspberry Pi using the composite output and also a couple of other retro consoles (PS1,PS2, Dreamcast) and for these it works really well.

I was going to ask on here why this may be so, but eventually found a very cheap 'Easy CAP' USB composite capture dongle which can be used to display my old Spectrums on my Linux PC.
Alessandro
Dynamite Dan

Post by Alessandro »

PeterJ wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 4:23 pm I'm way from being an expert on the hardware aspects, but the 48K rubber key Spectrum I purchased with the composite mod had a standard aerial lead with a SCART connector at the end and it works with modern TVs on the AV setting. You can get the cables on eBay for a couple of pounds.
Same for me, and it works quite fine.

On the other hand, 'Euroconnector' is another name for the SCART. I believe it's used in Spanish-speaking countries. Strangely enough, although it was designed in France (SCART being the acronym of Syndicat des Constructeurs d'Appareils Radiorécepteurs et Téléviseurs, Association of Manufacturers of Radio and Television Receivers), the French call it Péritelevision or shortly Péritel. Here we simply call it SCART.
chequered flag
Drutt

Post by chequered flag »

Spectrum RCA Composite Video to SCART Composite Video:

https://www.kjell.com/se/sortiment/ljud ... sit-p37004

https://www.kjell.com/se/sortiment/ljud ... 5-m-p39239

Spectrum edge connector to SCART RGB

http://www.fruitcake.plus.com/Sinclair/ ... erface.htm

Spectrum edge connector to HDMI:

https://www.bytedelight.com/?product_cat=zx-hd

HDMI to DVI (for old digital computer monitor)

https://www.kjell.com/se/sortiment/dato ... dvi-p98141
SteveZX81
Drutt

Post by SteveZX81 »

chequered flag wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 5:30 am Spectrum RCA Composite Video to SCART Composite Video:

https://www.kjell.com/se/sortiment/ljud ... sit-p37004

https://www.kjell.com/se/sortiment/ljud ... 5-m-p39239

Spectrum edge connector to SCART RGB

http://www.fruitcake.plus.com/Sinclair/ ... erface.htm

Spectrum edge connector to HDMI:

https://www.bytedelight.com/?product_cat=zx-hd

HDMI to DVI (for old digital computer monitor)

https://www.kjell.com/se/sortiment/dato ... dvi-p98141
Thanks for all that!

one question. if I get a scart connector working on the Spectrum, would a scart to hdmi converter mean it would then work on a PC monitor?
chequered flag
Drutt

Post by chequered flag »

I don't know for sure but this configuration:
Spectrum RCA Composite Video to SCART Composite Video to hdmi converter to HDMI,
will still depend on the spectrum composite signal that is not 100% correct.

Here is an example how difficult it can be:
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=911&start=20

This configuration:
Spectrum edge connector to SCART RGB to hdmi converter to HDMI,
depend on the SPECTRA interface generating a correct RGB signal. That is more likely to work.

If you really need HDMI then go for the ZX-HD. No SCART and no HDMI converter to worry about.
SteveZX81
Drutt

Post by SteveZX81 »

chequered flag wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:54 pm I don't know for sure but this configuration:
Spectrum RCA Composite Video to SCART Composite Video to hdmi converter to HDMI,
will still depend on the spectrum composite signal that is not 100% correct.

Here is an example how difficult it can be:
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=911&start=20

This configuration:
Spectrum edge connector to SCART RGB to hdmi converter to HDMI,
depend on the SPECTRA interface generating a correct RGB signal. That is more likely to work.

If you really need HDMI then go for the ZX-HD. No SCART and no HDMI converter to worry about.
ZX-HD looks ideal, however the price is waaaaay out of my budget. Thanks anyway for your help!
1024MAK
Bugaboo

Post by 1024MAK »

SteveZX81 wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:25 pm one question. if I get a scart connector working on the Spectrum, would a scart to hdmi converter mean it would then work on a PC monitor?
The SCART to HDMI converter that I have actually converts the RGB signals to HDMI. This when used with either a Sinclair QL or an Acorn BBC Micro computer. Both of which have RGB outputs. I don't know if mine will do composite video. I would test it for you, but it's in storage at the moment :(

One thing to keep in mind about SCART. It can carry one of a number of video signals, but only one set at any time. The most common video signals that a SCART can carry are:
  • Composite video
    RGB video
    S-video
All SCART connectors should support composite video. Use of the other signals is optional, but most TVs (that have SCART socket(s) have at least one that supports RGB video.

A composite video modified ZX Spectrum only outputs a composite video signal.

Are you sure that your TV does not have a composite video input? The connection is normally a phono socket with either yellow markings, or yellow plastic insulated parts. Often next to a white and a red phono sockets (which are the left and right audio channel inputs).

Mark
:!: Standby alert :!:
“There are four lights!”
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :dance
Looking forward to summer later in the year.
SteveZX81
Drutt

Post by SteveZX81 »

1024MAK wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 11:09 pm
SteveZX81 wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:25 pm one question. if I get a scart connector working on the Spectrum, would a scart to hdmi converter mean it would then work on a PC monitor?
The SCART to HDMI converter that I have actually converts the RGB signals to HDMI. This when used with either a Sinclair QL or an Acorn BBC Micro computer. Both of which have RGB outputs. I don't know if mine will do composite video. I would test it for you, but it's in storage at the moment :(

One thing to keep in mind about SCART. It can carry one of a number of video signals, but only one set at any time. The most common video signals that a SCART can carry are:
  • Composite video
    RGB video
    S-video
All SCART connectors should support composite video. Use of the other signals is optional, but most TVs (that have SCART socket(s) have at least one that supports RGB video.

A composite video modified ZX Spectrum only outputs a composite video signal.

Are you sure that your TV does not have a composite video input? The connection is normally a phono socket with either yellow markings, or yellow plastic insulated parts. Often next to a white and a red phono sockets (which are the left and right audio channel inputs).

Mark
The problem is, I don't have a TV, I only own pc monitors (4-5 of them, but no TV)
I gave my TV away some years ago when I decided to stop paying the TV Licence fee.

I guess it's come back to bite me now. haha
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ast A. Moore »

SteveZX81 wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:44 am The problem is, I don't have a TV
I threw mine away in 2005. The only reason I got one again last year was a Spectrum development stage that required real hardware, not emulation. It’s a tiny 14-inch CRT jobbie. Don’t even know if the tuner works. So, yeah. ;)