Zx spectrum +2a comp mod

For experts to discuss very technical stuff and newbies to ask why the Spectrum they bought off ebay doesn't work.
thefa11_guy
Drutt

Zx spectrum +2a comp mod

Post by thefa11_guy »

Hi guys,

I've recently been given a near perfect in box +2a. I was thinking of modding to output composite but I have a question.

The real easy mod of cutting the power and bypassing the RF modulator is only ever shown on the spectrum. Not the +2a. My question is, can this method be used on this board or is it not capable?

I apologise if this as been covered. Spent the last hour hunting the forum but I may have missed it.
1024MAK
Bugaboo

Re: Zx spectrum +2a comp mod

Post by 1024MAK »

Most Europeans use the RGB/Monitor socket and a suitable SCART lead. RGB via SCART produces a far better picture than composite video.

There is information somewhere over on World of Spectrum forums, but it is more involved than the modification on the 16K/48K/plus models due to the sound being mixed in and totally different composite video circuitry.

Mark
:!: Standby alert :!:
“There are four lights!”
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :dance
Looking forward to summer later in the year.
chequered flag
Drutt

Post by chequered flag »

Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ast A. Moore »

What the guys above said: you’d be far better off hooking the Speccy up to the TV using the RGB signals. Either purchase a ready-made cable (overpriced), or make your own (cheap and dead easy).

Depending on your TV, you may or may not need to modify the Spectrum—one resistor value needs to be changed. That’s regardless of whether you decide to buy a cable or make your own.
Every man should plant a tree, build a house, and write a ZX Spectrum game.

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
and zasm Z80 Assembler syntax highlighter.
thefa11_guy
Drutt

Post by thefa11_guy »

Cheers guys

I can honestly say I've never touched a spectrum til a stripped this one to give a thorough clean. I found some info on the web that that this has a built in speaker but I sure as hell didn't see one during my teardown. I'm assuming therefore that I have to use the 3.5mm socket to carry audio.
chequered flag
Drutt

Post by chequered flag »

No speaker in any 128K model.
The RGB port provides mono sound and it is connected to SCART.

Some casual technical information:
http://www.dataserve-retro.co.uk/conten ... /d200.html
https://spectrumforeveryone.com/technical/
1024MAK
Bugaboo

Post by 1024MAK »

Audio output is also available on the Tape/Sound 3.5mm jack socket.

Mark
:!: Standby alert :!:
“There are four lights!”
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :dance
Looking forward to summer later in the year.