Unknown Model

For experts to discuss very technical stuff and newbies to ask why the Spectrum they bought off ebay doesn't work.
onlynameavailable
Drutt

Unknown Model

Post by onlynameavailable »

Hello everyone!
I'm from Portugal, and I recently bought a ZX Spectrum that I would like to know something about:

My father has a 48K Z80 and he told that he never saw this model. I tried to research it and only found an article that talks about an argentinian model ('P 068973 MODEL M 332 48 K') that was produced here in Portugal, but that article talks about a 48k model, while this one has that sticker that says 16k...
Do you know anything about this? I'm really interested in knowing what this might be.

Thank you very much!
1024MAK
Bugaboo

Re: Unknown Model

Post by 1024MAK »

Do you mean this article?

Well, as Sinclair produced both 16K and 48K versions, it does look like the MODEL M 332 was also produced in both 16K and 48K versions. Easy to do given that they are basically a normal ZX Spectrum PCB in a different case.

Mark
:!: Standby alert :!:
“There are four lights!”
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :dance
Looking forward to summer later in the year.
onlynameavailable
Drutt

Yes, that's the one I found.
I was only curious if maybe this was maybe a bootleg or something, because the case is just like the Argenitinian CZ-2000 is just like this one, only with a different name on the sticker:
I just found it interesting that this model wasn't mentioned anywhere.
druellan
Dynamite Dan

Post by druellan »

Hi!
As far as I understand, that vertical pattern at the top is indicative of a Timex model, developed in Portugal. All Timex machines have a similar design:

After the failure of Timex Sinclair on EEUU, what Czerweny did was to contact Timex Portugal and start producing those models for the Argentinian market.
onlynameavailable
Drutt

But somewhere along the way they started using the ZX Spectrum name, which I found interesting...

Thanks! :)
druellan
Dynamite Dan

Post by druellan »

Yes, I'm not 100% sure, but I think I saw some of those ZX Spectrum models back in the day, before they started the local production as CZ 2000. I think they where part of the first batch of American rejected models that landed here:

Timex Sinclair 1000

TS 2000

And the mighty TS 2068

Never saw one of this, for example, as seems they only reached the prototype stage:

So, the TS 2000 branded as Sinclair ZX Spectrum makes sense

You can find all the photos here: http://www.angeldust.org.uk/Sinclair.htm

PS: take a look at the Didaktik Kompakt (80k) ❤️
Uto
Drutt

Post by Uto »

Portuguese Spectrum, made by Timex in Portugalm, after agreement with Sinclair . Those models use to hold an ISSUE2 board inside.
http://uto.speccy.org
Follow me at @uto_dev