ZX Interface 2 problem

For experts to discuss very technical stuff and newbies to ask why the Spectrum they bought off ebay doesn't work.
ScottC2010
Drutt

ZX Interface 2 problem

Post by ScottC2010 »

Hi,
When i plug a joystick into an interface 2 the number 3 comes up over and over again: 333333333333333.... If i push the joystick to the right it stops - any ideas on this problem?
Kind regards
Scott
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Re: ZX Interface 2 problem

Post by Ast A. Moore »

This indicates a problem with your joystick’s wiring—either it’s the wrong type, or it’s faulty. The Interface II takes the standard (Atari) joysticks. The SJS-1 joysticks (used in the Spectrum +2 and later models) are incompatible with the IF2. They’ll have to be rewired in the following manner:

Code: Select all

Pin 1	Up
Pin 2	Down
Pin 3	Left
Pin 4	Right

Pin 6	Fire

Pin 8	Ground

Every man should plant a tree, build a house, and write a ZX Spectrum game.

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
and zasm Z80 Assembler syntax highlighter.
ScottC2010
Drutt

Post by ScottC2010 »

Great, thanks - i'm using a Sinclair joystick so i'll swap it for the one out of my commodore cdtv :)
1024MAK
Bugaboo

Post by 1024MAK »

The so called Sinclair joystick did not see the light of day until after Amstrad bought Sinclair. It is wired so it works in the non-standard joystick ports on the later Amstrad manufactured models.

The Interface 2 was designed and sold by Sinclair long before the Amstrad take-over, and as pointed out in the post above, uses standard "Atari" standard digital joysticks. Yes, Sinclair used a normal standard connector :shock: :lol:

Mark
:!: Standby alert :!:
“There are four lights!”
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :dance
Looking forward to summer later in the year.
ScottC2010
Drutt

Post by ScottC2010 »

Thanks for the extra info mark - it is rather odd of Sinclair :)
Joystick now working so that is good - i got the interface at a radio rally along with a microdrive, tape player some games and a mk1 speccy with the rubber keys (Just no board inside but keyboard ok - all for 50 pence so a good bargain 8-)
I have a plus3 as wekk as the 48k+ - along with other comps such as the atari 800xl and amiga 1200 and a couple of megadrives etc
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ast A. Moore »

ScottC2010 wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:31 am Ii got the interface at a radio rally along with a microdrive, tape player some games and a mk1 speccy with the rubber keys (Just no board inside but keyboard ok - all for 50 pence so a good bargain.
Good golly! You sure did luck out.
Every man should plant a tree, build a house, and write a ZX Spectrum game.

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
and zasm Z80 Assembler syntax highlighter.
ScottC2010
Drutt

Post by ScottC2010 »

Rubber keys all working as i've transferred my 48k board now to the one i picked up :)