ZEsarUX-7.1

Struggling with Fuse or trying to find an emulator with a specific feature. Ask your questions here.
chernandezba
Microbot

ZEsarUX-7.1

Post by chernandezba »

Hi!

There’s a new stable version of ZEsarUX, version 7.1!

The next 24th of September it will be 5 years old :) So this is a special anniversary edition.
Yes, I know we are not on 24th yet, but I wanted to publish it now so you have the whole weekend to enjoy it!

You must go to the Releases section on the GitHub project to download It, as usual:

https://github.com/chernandezba/zesarux/releases

There are binary compiled versions for:
-Linux
-Mac
-Windows
-Raspberry Pi

And, of course, the source code, so people can compile it by themselves.
Don’t forget the extras package, so it contains lots of games, demos, programs and documentation.

The Changelog is:

Added ACB/ABC/BAC/Custom AY Stereo emulation
Added joystick action to change emulated joystick type: Sinclair, Kempston, etc
Added Basic viewer for .bas basic files (plain ascii or Basic Spectrum data with tokens), .baszx80 (Basic ZX80 with tokens), .baszx81 (Basic ZX81 with tokens), Z88 basic files with tokens
Added Sped format file viewer
Added ZXUno DMA emulation. Added some dma demos to zxuno.mmc image
Added TBBlue/DataGear/MB02 DMA emulation
Added TBBlue Multiface emulation
Added TBBlue Debug menu: Sprite navigator, Video layers, Video info
Added setting to deny turbo mode on TBBlue, useful on slow machines
Added Beeper Piano Menu
Added new Z80 TBBlue opcodes and deleted obsolete ones
Added setting to change Kempston Mouse sensitivity
Added menu item to create autoconfig files (.config)
Added setting --random-r-register to generate random value for R register on every cold start, instead of the normal 0 value. Useful to avoid same R register in the start of games, when they use that register as a random value
Added OSD Adventure Text Keyboard, useful for having typical words on Adventure Text Games (and of course any other kind of games and programs)
Added tool to export vocabulary from a PAWS/QUILL/GAC game to a list of words in the OSD Adventure Text Keyboard
Added new versions of my Sped compiler:
*Sped52en: English translation by Tim Gilberts, based on Sped52. In Sped format
*Sped53: Fixed bug from Sped52 (object code was always saved from 49152), based on Sped52. Spanish Version. In Sped format
*Sped53en: Fixed bug from Sped52 + English translation + minor changes in Spanish version by Tim Gilberts, based on Sped52en and Sped53. English and Spanish Version. In Sped format
*Sped54en: Fixed bug from Sped52 + English translation by Tim Gilberts, based on Sped52en, Sped53 and Sped54en. English Version. In plain text format
Sped53en is also included in the Spectrum Next by default :)

Improved debugger:
*Now you can use every register, variable, number on any position of a condition (left, right), so the following breakpoint conditions are now valid:
32768>PC
HL=DE
3=PC
DE>IX
etc...
*Optimized debugger so common conditions like PC=X, MRA=X or MWA=X use lots of less cpu than before
*Added new kind of breakpoints, "memory breakpoints", which behave like MRA and MWA conditions but a lot faster than them
*Added bitwise operators AND (&), OR (|), XOR (^) when using registers/variables breakpoints/watches
*Breakpoints actions do not reset keyboard
*New pseudo variables:
**OUTFIRED: returns 1 if last Z80 opcode was an OUT operation
**INFIRED: returns 1 if last Z80 opcode was an IN operation
**INTFIRED: returns 1 when an interrupt has been generated

Improved hexdump menu (called now "Hexadecimal Editor"): now you can edit memory and copy zones of memory
Improved my Cursor Draw program: now you can use kempston mouse. Load cursordr_mouse.tap instead of cursordr.tap
Improved file converter: tzx to tap, tap to tzx
Improved TBBlue video display cpu usage: 3% less cpu in my machine, on a compilation without optimization (O2)

Improved menu:
* menu windows: now can have more lines than 22, doing scroll
* now you can write any ascii character on the menu
* added support to show some unicode (utf8) characters on menu
* now you can use binary numbers on expressions (suffix %)
* you can now scroll with mouse on windows with text contents and file selector menus, by clicking the right progress symbol (*) or the arrows
* now you can move cursor up/down with mouse on windows with text contents and file selector by clicking new arrow buttons
* new file expander on file selector menu, using space key, for the following file types : .tap, .tzx, .dsk, .trd, .mdf, .hdf, .P, .O, Z88 Cards (.epr, .eprom, .flash)

Improved native snapshot format (ZSF):
* Added divmmc/divide state save

Fixed autoload tape on TBBlue
Fixed bug when smartload and selecting an unknown file type: if you cancel it, the inserted tape was modified
Fixed bug reading extension on files with no extension
Fixed bug reading AY registers: unused bits for registers are set to 0

Fixed bugs on esxdos handler:
*readdir call was incrementing PC register when there were no more files
*added ESXDOS_MODE_CREAT_TRUNC mode when opening files
*BCDE was not returning from a f_seek call
*fixed mode OPEN_CREAT|WRITE which has appending data after a seek instead of overwriting
*added f_stat,f_unlink,f_rename,m_drive_info,f_sync calls
*fixed loading help screen on esxdos nmi handler
*fixed loading esxdos files with plus3dos header

Fixed Multiface Three emulation
Fixed text viewer, hex viewer showing some special characters ~ | ^

Updated to the last Next SD image TBBLUE V.1.0 "GOLD EDITION"

Some other minor bugfixes and improvements

I hope you enjoy it!

Cheers
Cesar
PeterJ
Site Admin

Re: ZEsarUX-7.1

Post by PeterJ »

Wow [mention]chernandezba[/mention], another huge update. My weekend is now sorted!
catventure
Drutt

Post by catventure »

Cannot seem to get the 7.1 ZesarUX.exe to run under Windows Vista...

catventure.
TAB is a free offline, downloadable, parser-based, retro text adventure/interactive fiction creator program for Windows XP and above. (32;64bit)
It is similar to popular 80's adventure creators like QUILL, PAW, STAC or GAC.
http://tab.thinbasic.com/
g0blinish
Manic Miner

Post by g0blinish »

How do you quit ts-bios setup?

"F12-Exit" doesn't respond.

A question about QL: how to mount flp1 directory?

**Edited by Peter (admin). Changed case on top line.
chernandezba
Microbot

Post by chernandezba »

catventure wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:36 pm Cannot seem to get the 7.1 ZesarUX.exe to run under Windows Vista...

catventure.
Why? Does it give you some errors?
chernandezba
Microbot

Post by chernandezba »

PeterJ wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:54 am Wow @chernandezba, another huge update. My weekend is now sorted!
It’s not so huge. Some changes are just small changes :D
chernandezba
Microbot

Post by chernandezba »

g0blinish wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:14 am How do you quit ts-bios setup?

"F12-Exit" doesn't respond.

A question about QL: how to mount flp1 directory?

**Edited by Peter (admin). Changed case on top line.
F12 in TSConf is the same as reset (debug menu-reset)

About QL, you go to storage menu and select a directory with basic or binaries QL programs, you can’t mount a mdv or flp yet. There are some examples in the extras package, in media/QL folder
g0blinish
Manic Miner

Post by g0blinish »

well, can't type underscore. will wait next build with QL.
chernandezba
Microbot

Post by chernandezba »

Which OS are you using?
If using Windows or Linux, try changing the QL keymap (on settings->hardware->keyboard)
Pegaz
Dynamite Dan

Post by Pegaz »

Yesterday I tested this latest version on RetroPie (raspbian stretch) with Pi2 / Pi3 and works well as expected.
Just a few questions:
Is it possible to remove welcome text and Zesarux logo at startup?
I disabled splash text in OSD menu, but welcome text and logo are still there.

How to force emulator to keep a fixed frame skip value?
I set autoframe skip to No, set frame skip to 0, but emulator returns frame skip to 3, after each restart or new game.
This happens when I use Spectrum Next, but it doesnt happen when I use a standard Spectrum emulator, for example.

I also encountered a small issue when esc key is pressed during the emulation, an unpleasant sound, like a buzzing appears.
Fortunately, this can be solved with a hard reset or if I go to the menu with f5 and go back to the emulation.

The general impression is a very good, especially improvement of Spectrum Next emulation.
Well done.
g0blinish
Manic Miner

Post by g0blinish »

chernandezba wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:47 pm Which OS are you using?
If using Windows or Linux, try changing the QL keymap (on settings->hardware->keyboard)
windows 7
Pobulous
Dynamite Dan

Post by Pobulous »

With Gandalf Deluxe, the multicolour is off in the latest version 7.1 of ZEsarUX, on Windows 10 (1809 :shock: )
Using +2A configuration there are rolling colour lines near your starting position and on the right hand ladder.
Using 128K or +2, the multicolour is stable but there appear to be errors on the right hand ladder

ZXSpin doesn't have either of these problems.
chernandezba
Microbot

Post by chernandezba »

g0blinish wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 4:42 pm
chernandezba wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:47 pm Which OS are you using?
windows 7
Sorry there are some problems mapping non "standard" keys (no standard 40 speccy keys) to QL and other systems. Mac OS X or Linux+framebuffer video doesn't have that problem
chernandezba
Microbot

Post by chernandezba »

Pobulous wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:57 pm With Gandalf Deluxe, the multicolour is off in the latest version 7.1 of ZEsarUX, on Windows 10 (1809 :shock: )
Using +2A configuration there are rolling colour lines near your starting position and on the right hand ladder.
Using 128K or +2, the multicolour is stable but there appear to be errors on the right hand ladder

Real video setting is always off by default, unless you enable it on configuration
About Gandalf and other nirvana-like games... yes, I know there are some attributes that are not in sync. In the future it will be fixed ;)
ZXSpin doesn't have either of these problems.
Well ZXSpin doesn't have lots of features that ZEsarUX does
Pobulous
Dynamite Dan

Post by Pobulous »

Thanks for the fast response 8-)

Yes I had Real video setting on - "off" was a bad choice of words, I just meant it was showing some issues.

I know that ZXSpin doesn't have all the features that ZEsarUX has, I was using ZXSpin for comparison to see if it was a bug in the game or with the emulation.

I know that there's some work being done combining multicolour with LCD scanlines - would be great to see that working in ZEsarUX.

It's a great emulator, and I love that you've implemented so many modern features.
chernandezba
Microbot

Post by chernandezba »

Pobulous wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:30 pm

I know that there's some work being done combining multicolour with LCD scanlines - would be great to see that working in ZEsarUX.

It's a great emulator, and I love that you've implemented so many modern features.
Thanks :) Well scanlines are a concept that started on CRT, not just LCD. In fact, some other colour effects (scanlines or gigascreen) perform better on old CRT than on modern LCD.

Anyway, as I said, I will fix it in the future. It requires an almost complete rewrite of my scanlines codes and it's not easy. It will probable also use more cpu than now. So, meanwhile, I prefer to have these "glitches" on some attributes and have something to fix in the future ;)