AY emulation testing

Struggling with Fuse or trying to find an emulator with a specific feature. Ask your questions here.
User avatar
Ast A. Moore
Manic Miner
Posts: 766
Joined: Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:16 pm

Re: AY emulation testing

Post by Ast A. Moore » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:29 am

djnzx48 wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:23 am
Also, I reran the Fuse test making sure the filter was disabled, but still got the same result.
So much for that, then: ;)
Fred wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:27 am
There are no platform specific behaviours in this part of Fuse so you don’t need to worry about that :)
0 x
Every man should plant a tree, build a house, and write a ZX Spectrum game.

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
and zasm Z80 Assembler syntax highlighter.

User avatar
djnzx48
Microbot
Posts: 195
Joined: Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:13 am
Location: New Zealand

Re: AY emulation testing

Post by djnzx48 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:37 am

It looks like I'm still on version 1.5.0, so that could have something to do with it? I haven't try messing with any of the other sound settings either.
0 x

User avatar
druellan
Manic Miner
Posts: 214
Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:19 pm
Location: Argentina
Contact:

Re: AY emulation testing

Post by druellan » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:43 am

Awesome work. Just yesterday I was on a discussion about AY sound emulation, and I was thinking on doing some tests, but this is just way beyond my humble skills. Very interesting stuff!
0 x
Un buen día me puse a probar juegos de ZX Spectrum a ciegas en Youtube, terminó siendo:
📺 Retroarqueología en Youtube

User avatar
druellan
Manic Miner
Posts: 214
Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:19 pm
Location: Argentina
Contact:

Re: AY emulation testing

Post by druellan » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:02 am

djnzx48 wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:23 am
I was going to test Spectramine as well but the only link I found for it was a password protected zip.
I have the ZIP for version 1.01b (09/26/2017) https://send.firefox.com/download/ac766 ... DYGRfycSrQ
1 x
Un buen día me puse a probar juegos de ZX Spectrum a ciegas en Youtube, terminó siendo:
📺 Retroarqueología en Youtube

User avatar
Ast A. Moore
Manic Miner
Posts: 766
Joined: Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:16 pm

Re: AY emulation testing

Post by Ast A. Moore » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:17 am

djnzx48 wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:37 am
It looks like I'm still on version 1.5.0, so that could have something to do with it?
I doubt it. Although I’m not following the Fuse development process very closely, I don’t think the sound engine has undergone any major (or even minor) rewrites in the past few releases. For the record, I did run the test in v1.5.5, though. I also used Audio Hijack to capture the audio, thus taking any potential artifacts created by the DAC/ADC/cable out of the equation. (Not that they would have had any appreciable or measurable effect in this instance, anyway.)
0 x
Every man should plant a tree, build a house, and write a ZX Spectrum game.

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
and zasm Z80 Assembler syntax highlighter.

hikoki
Manic Miner
Posts: 293
Joined: Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:54 am

Re: AY emulation testing

Post by hikoki » Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:36 pm

druellan wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:02 am
djnzx48 wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:23 am
I was going to test Spectramine as well but the only link I found for it was a password protected zip.
I have the ZIP for version 1.01b (09/26/2017) https://send.firefox.com/download/ac766 ... DYGRfycSrQ
There you have Spectramine version 1.03b https://yadi.sk/d/Mz2J8P3vMuz3vw
2 x

User avatar
Fred
Berk
Posts: 38
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:15 am

Re: AY emulation testing

Post by Fred » Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:38 pm

Ast A. Moore wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:29 am
djnzx48 wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:23 am
Also, I reran the Fuse test making sure the filter was disabled, but still got the same result.
So much for that, then: ;)
I don't know - it's very much what I would expect from Fuse's stronger filters being enabled.
0 x

User avatar
Fred
Berk
Posts: 38
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:15 am

Re: AY emulation testing

Post by Fred » Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:39 pm

Ast A. Moore wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:17 am
djnzx48 wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:37 am
It looks like I'm still on version 1.5.0, so that could have something to do with it?
I doubt it. Although I’m not following the Fuse development process very closely, I don’t think the sound engine has undergone any major (or even minor) rewrites in the past few releases. For the record, I did run the test in v1.5.5, though. I also used Audio Hijack to capture the audio, thus taking any potential artifacts created by the DAC/ADC/cable out of the equation. (Not that they would have had any appreciable or measurable effect in this instance, anyway.)
The most direct way is to use the movie recording feature and extract the sound with fmfconv.

Fuse did change the noise handling in 2012 for version 1.1.0 based on the investigation from this WoS thread: https://www.worldofspectrum.org/forums/ ... ion/39644/
1 x

User avatar
Pegaz
Microbot
Posts: 161
Joined: Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:44 pm

Re: AY emulation testing

Post by Pegaz » Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:13 pm

For most emulators I have tried with noise.tap file, the noise goes from silent to louder in several visible steps.
Only SpecEmu and Spin have a smooth noise transition but it looks like the sound level is the same from the beginning to the end.
Which of these two cases is closer to the real hardware?
0 x

User avatar
Ast A. Moore
Manic Miner
Posts: 766
Joined: Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:16 pm

Re: AY emulation testing

Post by Ast A. Moore » Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:04 pm

Fred wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:39 pm
Fuse did change the noise handling in 2012 for version 1.1.0 based on the investigation from this WoS thread: https://www.worldofspectrum.org/forums/ ... ion/39644/
Oh, this is interesting!
0 x
Every man should plant a tree, build a house, and write a ZX Spectrum game.

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
and zasm Z80 Assembler syntax highlighter.

Post Reply