divIDE Fuse Tutorial

Struggling with Fuse or trying to find an emulator with a specific feature. Ask your questions here.
PeterJ
Site Admin

divIDE Fuse Tutorial

Post by PeterJ »

This little tutorial covers my experience of emulating the divIDE within Fuse in a Windows 10 environment. Much of the documentation is available in a variety of sources, but this brings it all into one place.

We will be using ESXDOS. You can find out more about the divIDE here, and ESXDOS here

Firstly, some assumptions:
  • You are running Windows 10 (It probably works in earlier versions but I have not tested it)
  • You have have installed the Fuse emulator to the normal location "C:\Program Files (x86)\Fuse\fuse.exe"
  • You are familiar using the command line
  • Your Downloads folder is empty
Instructions
  • Start the command prompt and enter cd Downloads following by return
  • Download ESXDOS from here and extract to the root of downloads folder
  • If you issue a dir you should see three folders 'BIN', 'SYS', and 'TMP' along with some other files
  • Next you need hdfmonkey which was written by [mention]gasman[/mention] . This is natively a Linux program, but [mention]gasman[/mention] has compiled a version for Windows. Download it from here and place the files into the root of your Downloads folder.
  • From the command line type hdfmonkey create esxdos.hdf 128M ESXDOS. If everything is in the right folders you should not get any errors.
  • Now format your new hard disk with hdfmonkey format esxdos.hdf
  • Now we need to copy the BIN and SYS folders from ESXDOS onto our new hard disk. Issue hdfmonkey put esxdos.hdf BIN\ and hdfmonkey put esxdos.hdf SYS\
  • Next we need a TMP folder. Issue mkdir TMP, then hdfmonkey put esxdos.hdf TMP\
  • Lets now copy a game over to the hard disk. Copy a .tap file into the downloads folder then issue hdfmonkey put filename.tap (replacing filename.tap with the name of the .tap file. If you have spaces in the file name you need to surround the filename with quotes.
  • Now type "C:\Program Files (x86)\Fuse\fuse.exe" --divide --divide-masterfile esxdos.hdf ESXIDE.TAP (Note the quotes!)
  • Fuse will start and when the "ADJUST FLASH FUSE JP2/E, HIT KEY" prompt appears, just hit any key
  • From the Fuse menus Mark "DivIDE write protect" at "Options->Peripherals->Disk"
  • From the 'Machine' menu select 'Hard Reset'. You should see the familiar ESXDOS screen appear.
  • From the 'Machine' menu select 'NMI' and you should see a menu with the game that you copied over to your virtual hard disk showing and ready to play
Credits
Thanks to the Fuse Emulator documentation and [mention]gasman[/mention] for creating hdfmonkey

I've got lots more of these tutorials (just my own notes) if anyone has any interest.
lister_of_smeg
Microbot

Re: divIDE Fuse Tutorial

Post by lister_of_smeg »

Nice guide! I'd just like to point out that you should save a snapshot once you have it all working, so that you don't have to 'reflash' the emulated DivIDE flash memory each time you run Fuse.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Re: divIDE Fuse Tutorial

Post by PeterJ »

lister_of_smeg wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:42 pm Nice guide! I'd just like to point out that you should save a snapshot once you have it all working, so that you don't have to 'reflash' the emulated DivIDE flash memory each time you run Fuse.
Thank you, that's a very good suggestion.