Retro Virtual Machine 2.0 beta 1 released

Struggling with Fuse or trying to find an emulator with a specific feature. Ask your questions here.
zxwanderer
Drutt

Re: Retro Virtual Machine 2.0 beta 1 released

Post by zxwanderer »

Nice work, thank you for pretty emulator!
Waiting for kempston mouse emulation ;)
jcgamestoy
Drutt

Post by jcgamestoy »

zxwanderer wrote: Mon Dec 24, 2018 5:08 pm Nice work, thank you for pretty emulator!
Waiting for kempston mouse emulation ;)
it has kempston mouse emulation ;) Add the device in the devices panel, then press ALT+M (CMD+M in mac) to capture or release the mouse
zxwanderer
Drutt

Post by zxwanderer »

jcgamestoy wrote: Mon Dec 24, 2018 6:07 pm it has kempston mouse emulation ;) Add the device in the devices panel, then press ALT+M (CMD+M in mac) to capture or release the mouse
Wow, yes! CMD+M is worked for ZX-Uno. Perfect! Thank you again! :D
g0blinish
Manic Miner

Post by g0blinish »

Didn't found Pentagon128(Russian clone) at list machines.
can you add assembler?

Then I choose Debugger, app crached after i click CPU. Well, it is beta.
Magnus
Dizzy

Post by Magnus »

Great work, very nice GUI with an impressive attention to detail! I saw this a couple of years ago on OSX and look forward to playing with it on my Windows machine. Strangely, the emulator window freezes on my external display which is connected via DisplayLink. I guess there is some driver incompatibility. Hmm, it actually wakes up when I close the laptop lid, so I'll be all right :).
My ZX Spectrum emulator project: https://softspectrum48.weebly.com.
druellan
Dynamite Dan

Post by druellan »

g0blinish wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 5:11 am Didn't found Pentagon128(Russian clone) at list machines.
You can emulate them via the ZXUNO emulation for now. Just fire a ZXUNO virtual machine, create a new SD virtual card and drag & drop any TRD. A bit complex but works.
jcgamestoy
Drutt

Post by jcgamestoy »

New version released with a lot of bug fixed:

Change Log:

https://www.retrovirtualmachine.org/boo ... gelog.html

Download from:

https://www.retrovirtualmachine.org
Turtle_Quality
Manic Miner

Post by Turtle_Quality »

It's looking very good.

Just noticed the developer mode. Although it has help commands, would be nice to get some more info on using the assembler, i guess that's coming later.
I was just thinking yesterday that it would be excellent if an emulator with monitor debugger could show us exactly where the raster is while single stepping or using breakpoints, to understand screen timing in our code. Is that what the menu below the emulation screen is going to do ? (last frame/raster/raster & previous...)

Keep up the good work
Definition of loop : see loop
Joefish
Rick Dangerous

Post by Joefish »

Also to be able to view the 128K Shadow Screen - and ideally in a separate window so you can have both screens at the same time on separate monitors... :mrgreen:
Turtle_Quality
Manic Miner

Post by Turtle_Quality »

To answer my own question about the assembler, found the following on the RVM Site today

RVMv2 Also features a powerful integrated z80 assembler. You can compile your own programs from the debugger terminal.
The assembler uses LUA as "meta-language".
The "Programming Guide with RVMv2 Beta1" will soon be available.
Be warned that the development environment will change a lot in future versions.
Definition of loop : see loop
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Post by Juan F. Ramirez »

Just downloaded and it's visually impressive!
WDeranged
Drutt

Post by WDeranged »

With emulators for Commodore (UK) systems I've always set my refresh rate to 50hz for the silky smooth scrolling. Is there any benefit to running 50hz with the UK computers that were mostly incapable of it? I know the Speccy occasionally manages a bit of smooth scrolling text so would these effects stutter with this emulator running at the standard 60hz?

Love the software by the way. Multi loading tapes is a bit clumsy but I otherwise adore the interface.
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ast A. Moore »

WDeranged wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:18 pm I know the Speccy occasionally manages a bit of smooth scrolling text so would these effects stutter with this emulator running at the standard 60hz?
What do you mean “occasionally manages a bit of smooth scrolling text”? There are quite a few games—especially modern ones—that run at a steady 50 fps.
Every man should plant a tree, build a house, and write a ZX Spectrum game.

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
and zasm Z80 Assembler syntax highlighter.
AndyC
Dynamite Dan

Post by AndyC »

At 60Hz, everything will stutter to some degree. Even if a game only updated every other frame and thus had a smooth 25Hz, that doesn't divide cleanly into 60Hz and so there will inevitably be some disconnect between what the experience is supposed to be like and what an emulator will end up providing. How much this bothers you is a whole other matter, but if you're looking for perfect emulation then 50Hz (or some exact multiple thereof) is essential.
cmal
Manic Miner

Post by cmal »

I only just ran into this emulator yesterday and I'm Impressed! Excellent work!
It's been out for a while... I feel like I've been living under a rock :|