ZX ULAX emulator

Struggling with Fuse or trying to find an emulator with a specific feature. Ask your questions here.
Lethargeek
Manic Miner

Re: sit'n'watch

Post by Lethargeek »

Lethargeek wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 7:33 pm Also some are made of different game versions and thus incompatible with the dux files in the game pack.
Now i made alternative dux drivers for all of these, look for ULAX-rzx-dux.zip in the cloud folder.
Lethargeek
Manic Miner

double update

Post by Lethargeek »

public beta 23 - some UI bugfixing related to rzx
2 new games - Antiriad and 3 parts of la Espada Sagrada
Gvan
Drutt

Re: ZX ULAX emulator

Post by Gvan »

Your work is wonderful.
Pheraps it's time to think of a hardware implementation ( something along the lines of ZH-HD )
Lethargeek
Manic Miner

Post by Lethargeek »

Gvan wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:35 pm Pheraps it's time to think of a hardware implementation ( something along the lines of ZH-HD )
The hardware is already work in progress. Very slow progress unfortunately. People here have many problems and little time. We did only very limited proof of concept FPGA testing so far with the board not very suited for the task:

https://cloud.mail.ru/public/9LEs/DwdXr5a9Q
https://cloud.mail.ru/public/FhYz/DoLKkqnCK
https://cloud.mail.ru/public/5qDB/As9YP4yBv
https://cloud.mail.ru/public/D5hy/997cZVH7Z

I hope the next year we'll get first dedicated devboards. As a software man, i'm unable to speed it up.
Lethargeek
Manic Miner

game pack update

Post by Lethargeek »

two more games - Nemesis the Warlock and Robobro Episode 1

also put unfinished (but playable) games in one file ULAX-wip1.zip with short descriptions
Lethargeek
Manic Miner

game pack update

Post by Lethargeek »

this time it's Marsmare: Alienation fresh from YRGB'20
because all the gfx was compressed, the coloration is somewhat simple
maybe i will improve it some day...
Lethargeek
Manic Miner

game pack update

Post by Lethargeek »

now meet the long-awaited Wonderful Dizzy in all its glory (and a little extra) ;)

not tested much, there might be a few mistakes with item colors, please report if you notice

warning: reloading the dux driver (PgDn) in-game may corrupt colors of the keys
so load it just once anytime before you begin playing and then don't touch
Pegaz
Dynamite Dan

Post by Pegaz »

I tested Wanderful Dizzy today and it looks great, without color clash, everything was done discreetly, I immediately got used to this perfection. ;)
btw, I have one question regarding the sprites recoloring process.
A few days ago I noticed a new Russian emulator zxpolly that uses a similar technique as emuzwin, although I like your approach more for several reasons.
This emulator comes with a nice sprite-corrector tool, which I really liked.
I wonder if its possible to have a similar tool for ZX ULAX, which would allow easier recoloring job and creation of dux files ?
Lethargeek
Manic Miner

Post by Lethargeek »

[mention]Pegaz[/mention], yes, i use such a tool (made by one of the ULAX project participants) sometimes. But i'm reluctant to share it now as it was left unfinished and quite buggy. Maybe the author will improve it someday or i'll find a time to write a new one (and/or a tool to import EmuZWin/Spec256 gfx resources). Also it is only useful for a full pixel-precise sprite repaint, that is quite tiresome even with better tools and i don't do that very often.
Lethargeek
Manic Miner

Post by Lethargeek »

improved Wonderful Dizzy coloration - redownload the game pack
different colors for sprites, small glitches fixed, most conspicuous overlapping scenery clashing fixed
replaced dizzy8.sna with dizzy8.trd (unofficial disk release, still waiting for bugfixed official one)
Lethargeek
Manic Miner

game pack update

Post by Lethargeek »

one addition to conclude the january: Roland's Rat Race
also improved Nemesis the Warlock a bit (sprite bump)
Eugene C.
Drutt

Post by Eugene C. »

Any news for Shinobi?
Lethargeek
Manic Miner

Post by Lethargeek »

Eugene C. wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 2:03 pm Any news for Shinobi?
Nope, not yet. I'm not sure if it will be even possible to make one universal dux for all these levels and right now i'm not motivated enough to make separate files for each level for manual reloading (won't be pretty). Btw now my main effort is to finish the english docs, so you might trying the second solution with separate duxes yourself soon(ish) ;)
Eugene C.
Drutt

Post by Eugene C. »

Can you do something for Rollercoaster?
Lethargeek
Manic Miner

Post by Lethargeek »

Eugene C. wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:33 pm Can you do something for Rollercoaster?
i will try, maybe it's possible to do fast, w/o repainting all the sprites
Lethargeek
Manic Miner

double update

Post by Lethargeek »

public beta 24 - fixed some frame doubling/skipping issues related to sound and rzx
2 new games in the pack - Comando Tracer and a lazy mod for Somewhere in Hell (SiH)
Weiv
Microbot

Post by Weiv »

Some time ago I suggested Lethargeek to make ULAX in the form of a DLL so that any emulator author could add support for ULAX in his emulator. People, what you think about it?
Pegaz
Dynamite Dan

Post by Pegaz »

Weiv wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:18 am Some time ago I suggested Lethargeek to make ULAX in the form of a DLL so that any emulator author could add support for ULAX in his emulator. People, what you think about it?
This is one of my favorite emulators and I definitely support any idea to make its recoloring engine available as a feature in other emulators.
Something like ULA+ for example...
Lethargeek
Manic Miner

Post by Lethargeek »

Weiv wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:18 am Some time ago I suggested Lethargeek to make ULAX in the form of a DLL so that any emulator author could add support for ULAX in his emulator.
куку, а что там с кодом, который я персонально для тебя подготовил и с которым ты уж год разбираешься? :roll:
Weiv
Microbot

Post by Weiv »

Lethargeek wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:16 pm куку, а что там с кодом, который я персонально для тебя подготовил и с которым ты уж год разбираешься? :roll:
I could not figure it out, I'm sorry(
Lethargeek
Manic Miner

Post by Lethargeek »

Weiv wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 5:25 pm I could not figure it out, I'm sorry(
then why you think dll interface will be any easier to figure than those headers
Eugene C.
Drutt

Post by Eugene C. »

We need ulax for Retroarch!
Tommo
Dizzy

Post by Tommo »

Pegaz wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:44 am
Weiv wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:18 am Some time ago I suggested Lethargeek to make ULAX in the form of a DLL so that any emulator author could add support for ULAX in his emulator. People, what you think about it?
This is one of my favorite emulators and I definitely support any idea to make its recoloring engine available as a feature in other emulators.
Something like ULA+ for example...
As the author of another emulator, I would definitely have a go at implementing this. My computer is making too much of a hash of the documentation's encoding for me even to be able to copy and paste into an online translator right now, alas, and I'm virtually monolingual. So the problem is mine, but there it is.

Of potential relevancy: the Spec256-ish recolour of Dan Dare was mine, about 15 years ago. But that was overtly a shadow 64-bit processor, [almost] no code changes required, type affair. Completely distinct from what I think I understand ULAX's much more realistic hardware-grounded approach to be.

I'm very impressed with the ULAX results shown so far.
Lethargeek
Manic Miner

Post by Lethargeek »

[mention]Tommo[/mention], english docs is wip (2 nice guys from this forum are helping me with it)

btw what's that "another emulator" you mentioned?
Weiv
Microbot

Post by Weiv »

Tommo wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:49 pm the Spec256-ish recolour of Dan Dare was mine, about 15 years ago.
Can I download your recolour of Dan Dare? And, maybe, other your recolored games?