ZX ULAX emulator

Struggling with Fuse or trying to find an emulator with a specific feature. Ask your questions here.
Lethargeek
Manic Miner

ZX ULAX emulator

Post by Lethargeek »

Yet another "enhanced" Spectrum emulator for those interested.

Some of you might have seen the videos on this channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCu76xC ... YJQ/videos

It was started as an ancillary project to help with the (very slow unfortunately) development of hardware video extension (codename ULAX) for the ZX Spectrum (and probably some other Z80-based machines). The secondary goal was testing some emulation ideas not necessarily linked to the ULAX.

The ULAX itself was intended to provide easy-to-use enhanced graphics capabilities, easy to the point of allowing fast improvement even of the existing Spectrum sotware without any source code and using any of the new features as an option augmenting an old Spectrum-style code to any extent. Compared to Spec256 approach it is more flexible and capable (needs less time for simpler results, preserves most attribute effects and allows at least some improvement with compressed gfx) but requires at least basic Z80 machine code knowledge.

Current state of the emulator (as of may 2020):

The hardware emulated is a basic model of Russian Pentagon-128k clone with AY, Beta-disk and ULAX attached. This specific machine wasn't a requirement for the ULAX, but allowed faster and simpler start with the emulator project. Some other Spectrum-compatible models might be added in the future.

Emulation of selected ULAX features (aimed at the existing software adaptation mostly) as a hardware (that is, not just a some software shader) with Z80 "machine cycle" precision. Furthermore, the standard ZX ULA output is not emulated at all - everything you see is taken from the hi-colour (15-bit) GRB APA (all-point-addressable) display buffer, even when it looks just like usual Spectrum screen.

Good Z80 emulation accuracy (passing all the undocumented flags tests made by Patrik Rak).

Basic Beta-disk emulation, good enough for loading games, but some tricky demos might not work with it.

AY sound chip emulation with flexible timings, as the emulator is synchronised with the video refresh, not the sound. Again, good enough for games, but some sophisticated demos (like Atarin or digiSID) reliant on AY synced to Z80 precisely might not work as expected.

Special Adapturbo™ mode that keeps multicolour, beeper and digital AY sound intact unlike regular turbo. This is strictly emulation thing and has no relation to ULAX. Recommended for slower games, especially Freescape based.

Fullscreen mode with "fake border" for wide screens.

Selectable frame rate in the 48-60Hz range with automatic sound adjustment.

Interface is drag&drop with hotkeys + ini file. For details see emuL-info.txt

Download links:

mail.ru cloud public folder
https://cloud.mail.ru/public/3Rzu/33GtNmUof/

google drive mirror
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... 0pPUWFNZrm
(maintained by another person and might be out of date sometimes)

Sorry, but in-depth documentation will remain Russian-only for some time.
But there's enough English to run them games. ;)

Posted edited at the request of the author by PeterJ 07/05/2020

Edited by request on 210221 by PJ
Lethargeek
Manic Miner

Re: ZX ULAX emulator

Post by Lethargeek »

Also today the new public beta 5 version is released.

added basic support for z80 snapshots
drag&drop filenames onto the emulator window

game pack is the same, only its readme file was changed
Ralf
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ralf »

So it's yet another project which aims to recolor Spectrum games ;) Like Spec256, EmuZWin or this one: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1634.

I must say that the games on these Youtube videos work really well, without any visible glitches. Flying Shark is especially nice, suddenly everything got much more visible.

Could you say in a few words how it works? Similar to existing solutions or something different?
Lethargeek
Manic Miner

Post by Lethargeek »

Ralf wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:53 pm So it's yet another project which aims to recolor Spectrum games ;) Like Spec256, EmuZWin or this one
It aims much further. Basically, there are two opposite approaches about possible ZX graphics extensions:

1) Indirect: all recoloring is done "outside", Z80 code can't "see" it and has no control over it whatsoever. Like the examples you mentioned.
2) Direct: a new video mode (even as a layer over the standard Spectrum screen or things like hardware sprites) requiring a completely new Z80 code to use it, most likely in a very unspectrumlike way. The examples are Pentagon/ATM 16-color mode or the Spectrum NEXT.

This thing allows both methods, but indirect recoloring isn't even a main feature planned and is designed in a way so it doesn't hamper future developments (like blitter or mixing many virtual video "modes" on the same screen) and all the features should be as compatible one with another as possible (for example, pixels recolored indirectly could then be moved/scrolled directly with the blitter).

That said, the emulator in the current state is about the indirect approach (mostly). But even now it's more capable than Spec256 or the like - it may improve even the compressed graphics to some extent (see Redshift) and can paint the same source sprite with many different colors w/o the use of attributes (btw it still keeps standard attributes and even expands the capabilities).
Ralf wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:53 pmCould you say in a few words how it works? Similar to existing solutions or something different?
Somewhat similar, somewhat different. Physically it is planned as an FPGA-based external device with its own memory, plugged into the Spectrum's edge connector (the devboard might as well contain the Spectrum inside the same FPGA). Like Spec256 it has its own wide "graphics processor" executing code in parallel with the Spectrum. But unlike Spec256 it's much simpler, it's instructions aren't just wider clones of Z80 instructions and it doesn't have to follow the intent of the original Z80 procedure! Pixel format is also different, better suited for further enhancements. There are no hardware sprites, no layers like in the NEXT, everything is done on a single flat surface like Spectrum does. Just one physical screen mode like Spectrum but many write modes into many logical screen layouts.

There are some basic demos in the emulator archive (see "test" subdirectory) but these are just a glimpse of what to expect.
4thRock
Manic Miner

Post by 4thRock »

Looks interesting and I like the graphic enhancements. It still looks like a Spectrum and that's good.
I wonder about new graphic modes, can you give more information ?

Gave it a try buy was unable to figure out how to load anything. Tried drag and drop and F4, no luck.
I know not having a GUI is intentional, but I think it's a waste of potential ;)
Lethargeek
Manic Miner

Post by Lethargeek »

4thRock wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:38 am Looks interesting and I like the graphic enhancements. It still looks like a Spectrum and that's good.
I wonder about new graphic modes, can you give more information ?

Gave it a try buy was unable to figure out how to load anything. Tried drag and drop and F4, no luck.
I know not having a GUI is intentional, but I think it's a waste of potential ;)
Did you read the instructions in the game pack readme properly? What exact files have you dragged and dropped? F4 just starts/stops the tape (you still need to use LOAD"" command or the 128k menu loader) and it isn't used for the snapshots. To actually load the snapshot with the last dropped filename, press the End key. To load the dux with the last dropped filename, press PageDown key after that (or after the disk/tape access is finished).
4thRock
Manic Miner

Post by 4thRock »

I gave the instructions a quick read, yes. Then pressed the keys randomly :D
Will try again later...
Lethargeek
Manic Miner

Post by Lethargeek »

As for the "graphic modes", as i said earlier, there's just one physical mode with many different write modes possible. All you see (including the border) is a flat array of independently colored pixels with 15 bit color depth. By default, the Spectrum-compatible write mode is activated, producing a picture visually indistinguishable from the usual Spectrum screen. But even then you can select different "active colors" to draw on screen that aren't affected by attributes. Switching to another address mapper, the whole screen area can be accessed. There are two simple basic demos in the "test" subdirectory named mappertest1 and mappertest2. The 1st one outputs 8 square pixels of 2 colors per byte written to the screen, the 2nd one interprets the written byte as 4 rectangualr "low-res" pixels of 4 colors. But you can imagine anything that fits the physical mode limits.
Lethargeek
Manic Miner

Game pack update!

Post by Lethargeek »

One of the advantages of the ULAX is very fast recoloring if you don't wanna repaint every pixel. So here are the new games, mostly with just sprites being recolored and free of clashing:

Leovigildo (4 parts)
Rade Blunner (2 parts)
...aaand the freshest
Yazzie from YRGB!

Just a quick reminder, when running a part of multi-part game from disk, you must give the emulator proper corresponding dux filename first and then actually load it (by pressing PgDn key) only after all of the disk access is finished and the game's menu/intro appears.

Same download link in the opening post.
Lethargeek
Manic Miner

disaster strikes!

Post by Lethargeek »

Because the hosting provider is involved in some criminal wars over the business right now, zx-pk.ru is down (and i'm not sure if it ever comes back to life or won't change its name later). So here's another link directly to the cloud folder:

https://cloud.mail.ru/public/3Rzu/33GtNmUof

At least it's still on the 1st page of the thread. Not sure if it stills the same in the future though.
Lethargeek
Manic Miner

critical update!

Post by Lethargeek »

new emulator version (public beta 6) - same links (zx-pk is now back to life as well)

mainly z80 emulation improvements (memptr added, several small bugs and one fatal bug in undocumented instructions were fixed)

tape now will be stopped when the end of loading or loading error is detected (does not work in 100% cases probably but seems ok)
next loading attempt will start on the same block, if you actually want to skip it, press LAlt+F5
Lethargeek
Manic Miner

perfectionist update

Post by Lethargeek »

new emulator version yet again (public beta 7)

now Z80 emulation is almost complete, successfully passing all of the Raxoft's tests + NMOS/CMOS
(the previous beta 6 was released only because of critical bug fix, this one was intended)

also removed that annoying hum when skipping silent frames (F1 key)

same download links on the first page
Ivanzx
Manic Miner

Post by Ivanzx »

I don´t want to sound rude, as it is not my intention, but why create/modify this kind of games with an emulator that "amplifies" the possibilities of the Spectrum instead of creating new games for systems that are, from scratch, more powerful than the Spectrum such as the Sam Coupe, Master System, Game Boy?
Lethargeek
Manic Miner

Post by Lethargeek »

Ummm, let me think, why then create anything with "amplified" capabilities like making a disk version or adding ULA+ palette or AY tune or a joystick support when there was none?

...because we can :D and it makes the game better while still remaining a Spectrum game? Because these other more powerful systems aren't Spectrums? Some people might prefer how the Spectrum version feels but not exactly how it looks.

Also not just for an emulator, but for the hardware being developed. The emulator is helping in the development and in itself is a statement in the long and heated discussion about how a modern ZX video extension should be arranged to have better software support (compared to the previous attempts usually having none))
Ivanzx
Manic Miner

Post by Ivanzx »

Lethargeek wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 11:49 am Ummm, let me think, why then create anything with "amplified" capabilities like making a disk version or adding ULA+ palette or AY tune or a joystick support when there was none?

...because we can :D and it makes the game better while still remaining a Spectrum game? Because these other more powerful systems aren't Spectrums? Some people might prefer how the Spectrum version feels but not exactly how it looks.

Also not just for an emulator, but for the hardware being developed. The emulator is helping in the development and in itself is a statement in the long and heated discussion about how a modern ZX video extension should be arranged to have better software support (compared to the previous attempts usually having none))
But this is the thing, they are not Spectrum games anymore ;)

Anyways, just my opinion, of course any person can use their free time in whatever they want ;)
Lethargeek
Manic Miner

Post by Lethargeek »

Ivanzx wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 12:16 pmBut this is the thing, they are not Spectrum games anymore ;)
No, the whole point was it is still the same Spectrum game with the same Spectrum code being executed. Very much unlike, say, a new software for the Spectrum NEXT or the russian "extended" video modes from 1990s.

Moreover, in many cases the recolored game does not just looks "better", it looks exactly how the original author intended it to look but couldn't or wouldn't cope with the Spectrum attribute system. Especially those older spanish games usually having better graphics but worse clashing (eg check the Jungle Warrior, Game Over, Sol Negro in the game pack).
Lethargeek
Manic Miner

game pack update!

Post by Lethargeek »

Back in my early spectrum years i was somewhat disappointed with Academy, really liked the concept and depth of the game play, but for me the action window resolution was too low for its (usually) small textured objects. It was hard to tell what the hell was going on and how dangerous were these little dots moving on the horizon.

So after successfully recoloring Total Eclipse i decided to improve Academy the same way. Compared to Freescape games, Academy uses less and simpler textures, so all of them could simply be replaced with solid colors of different bright levels, and suddenly everything in the game gets more clear. Checking all possible texture uses and setting several dynamic palettes corresponding to original mission attributes and flares/infrared system in time was a bit of pain though. Maybe i still missed some obscure things.

Game version included in the archive is one russian disk mod (with pentagon border fix added by me), so run it as usual with TR-DOS, in the intro press "g" to load the game and then load the corresponding dux. It should be safe to press PgDn in menus and then PgUp any time if you're curious to compare old & new graphics.

Note the emulator doesn't support saving modified disk images yet, sorry. But you can use quicksave snapshots to keep your progress.

Same links.
Lethargeek
Manic Miner

unusual announcement

Post by Lethargeek »

My emulator thread was just closed on the WoS forum after some dirty liar named rich_chandler came there to flood it with off-topic messages and spreading lies about me personally and (after being asked politely to bring any proof of STFU and still continuing it, later with the support of other trolls) his sweet buddy Lee_Fogarty was quick to take his side without even looking into the case (or maybe it was all staged from the start?)

Anyway, why i am writing this here? No, i'm not complaining, i'm wondering if this makes my emulator the first ZX emulator ever banned on ZX Spectrum site? :shock: Does anybody know other examples?

In any case, be quick to grab the last version! This might be a rare chance for you to own a "forbidden ZX emulator" :lol:
djnzx48
Manic Miner

Post by djnzx48 »

Lethargeek wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:32 pm Anyway, why i am writing this here? No, i'm not complaining, i'm wondering if this makes my emulator the first ZX emulator ever banned on ZX Spectrum site? :shock: Does anybody know other examples?
Does the version of Fuse that was used in the Vega+ count? The source was even available on GitHub for a while before it was removed for some reason.
Lethargeek
Manic Miner

Post by Lethargeek »

djnzx48 wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:43 pm
Lethargeek wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:32 pm Anyway, why i am writing this here? No, i'm not complaining, i'm wondering if this makes my emulator the first ZX emulator ever banned on ZX Spectrum site? :shock: Does anybody know other examples?
Does the version of Fuse that was used in the Vega+ count? The source was even available on GitHub for a while before it was removed for some reason.
I'm not sure. Is any fork of any emulator still available? Or could VEGA+ version be considered a separate emulator?
Anyway, FUSE is for UNIX, mine emulator is for Windows, so it's still "first forbidden Windows Spectrum emulator" at least. :D
Lethargeek
Manic Miner

Post by Lethargeek »

Btw i just googled the Vega+ to refresh my memory and almost immediately stumbled upon a very familiar name from these recent events. And next to the words "lies", "paid" and "scam", no less. So it seems i shouldn't have been surprised by the actions and personal qualities of the current WoS staff. Maybe now being a lying crook is even a requirement to be in. :roll:
polomint
Drutt

Re: unusual announcement

Post by polomint »

Lethargeek wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:32 pm My emulator thread was just closed on the WoS forum after some dirty liar named rich_chandler came there to flood it with off-topic messages and spreading lies about me personally and (after being asked politely to bring any proof of STFU and still continuing it, later with the support of other trolls) his sweet buddy Lee_Fogarty was quick to take his side without even looking into the case (or maybe it was all staged from the start?)

Anyway, why i am writing this here? No, i'm not complaining, i'm wondering if this makes my emulator the first ZX emulator ever banned on ZX Spectrum site? :shock: Does anybody know other examples?

In any case, be quick to grab the last version! This might be a rare chance for you to own a "forbidden ZX emulator" :lol:
lol
So far, so meh :)
Lethargeek
Manic Miner

Post by Lethargeek »

polomint wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 5:35 pmlol
Yes, but somehow at the same time not so funny when recalling the aforementioned dirty little liar was also an emulator threads maintainer. Oh, is he now the first ever emulator threads maintainer directly responsible for intentionally killing an emulator thread on his forum? :o

With staff like these doing such an excellent work, it's no big wonder once a great forum became a sad and dying place with most activity happening in the chit-chat section and so many productive people left elsewhere. :roll:

Also "several complaints" as a reason for the "last warning" is especially precious coming out from someone named Lee Fogarty :lol:
polomint
Drutt

Post by polomint »

Lethargeek wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:01 pm
polomint wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 5:35 pmlol
Yes, but somehow at the same time not so funny when recalling the aforementioned dirty little liar was also an emulator threads maintainer. Oh, is he now the first ever emulator threads maintainer directly responsible for intentionally killing an emulator thread on his forum? :o

With staff like these doing such an excellent work, it's no big wonder once a great forum became a sad and dying place with most activity happening in the chit-chat section and so many productive people left elsewhere. :roll:

Also "several complaints" as a reason for the "last warning" is especially precious coming out from someone named Lee Fogarty :lol:
Ohh, I dunno, I am quite productive, and the guys in the zxasm slack group are too :)
With the expertise of the emulator authors in the group, I am working on a Windows version of SpectREM by Mike Daley :)
Great people, fun banter, and plenty of silly stuff ;)

https://join.slack.com/t/zxasm/shared_i ... DI2MGRjYzE
So far, so meh :)
Lethargeek
Manic Miner

Post by Lethargeek »

polomint wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:04 pmOhh, I dunno,
the numbers (post counters per section and average users online) speak for themselves