May I work with you to get one game working? In this case 'Slightly Magic'? I do note that you have worked with computers as long as myself (I started as a computer technician when the College I was at still had a BBC Micro network!), and I also had problems to start with.
This guide tries to cover every mouse click. I'm using Windows 10 Pro. I set-up explorer so I have file types showing.
So without further ado....
- Start by downloading 'ULAX-emuL.zip' and 'ULAX-games.zip'
- When you have unzipped both files you should have two folders. 'ULAX-emuL' and 'ULAX-games'. Open up each folder in its own explorer window. Resize both windows so they are both visible. I put one below the other.
- In the 'ULAX-emuL' explorer window change to the 'exe' folder
- In the 'ULAX-games' explorer window change to the 'dux' folder
- Scroll down the 'dux' folder until you see 'slimagic.dux' and 'slimagic.sna'
- Left click on one of the above files, then hold down the left Ctrl key and click on the second file, so both files are selected. Release the Ctrl key.
- With the left mouse button drag both selected files so they are on-top of emul.exe in the other window, then release the mouse button. See example below - Make sure two files are being moved:
- The emulator will now open with the '128 TR-DOS' menu
- Make sure that the emulator is in-focus by clicking on it's top border with the left mouse key. Next we need the keys from the instructions (This is why show file extensions is important - we know this is a .sna file):
- Now press the 'End' key and the game will appear
- Finally press 'PgDn' to load the multi-colour dux
I'm happy to try any other games if anyone else is struggling