ZXBaremulator 3.2

Struggling with Fuse or trying to find an emulator with a specific feature. Ask your questions here.
Pegaz
Dynamite Dan

Re: ZXBaremulator 3.2

Post by Pegaz »

Try a different image or even better with another Pi if you can.
Then, you will know for sure what is the cause of it.
I have so far connected various keyboards to the Baremulator and there have never been any problems.
cmal
Manic Miner

Post by cmal »

Well, I just tested the Pi with the standard 32-bit OS. The OS installed fine, started up and the std USB keyboard works perfectly on the PI.
So I shut it down, powered off, removed the Micro SD card containing the standard OS image and replaced with the Baremulator
Micro SD. Same issue - Keyboard only works when I pull up the tape browser with the F1 key.
Then I re-downloaded the Baremulator image file (kernel8-32.img) and replaced it onto the SD card. This didn't fix it.

In the meantime I ordered another Raspberry Pi 3 and I'm picking it up at Best Buy today. I'll give that a try next.

This is a real head scratcher.
cmal
Manic Miner

Post by cmal »

So I just tried reformatting the SD card and reloading it with a fresh Baremulator image, and nothing else.
The problem persists.

Next I found and tested a different USB keyboard, and that didn't work.

So here's the current situation:
Reformatted FAT-32 SD card with only the Baremulator image installed
Raspberry PI 3B, boots up with Baremulator and shows the Sinclair Research copyright message
Two separate USB standard keyboards give the same result:
Able to open the Tape Browser using the F1 key and able to select a tape image. All keys needed in the tape browser work perfectly
Also able to close the Tape Browser with the F1 key
The pause key responds and pauses/unpauses the emulator
The left Alt key, along with the associated key works. So I can pull up the help screen with Alt+K. I can also switch Spectrum models
Pressing F9 also works and brings up the Multiface. However, none of the regular keys work in the Multiface
None of the regular keys respond so I'm stuck with the tape inserted and unable to type load "" or do anything else
I tested the keyboard in all 4 USB ports and get the same result
The same Raspberry Pi has been tested with a standard Raspberry OS and the keyboards works fine. All the keys respond normally.

The only other thing I can think of trying is replacing the Raspberry PI 3, which I'll pick up later this afternoon.
All of this started the day i connected the RPi to a lithium battery using the supplied expansion board.
cmal
Manic Miner

Post by cmal »

Just picked up a brand new Raspberry Pi. This one's a slight upgrade: R Pi 3 Model B+ vs the R Pi 3 Model B V1.2 which I'm replacing.

After hooking everything up and turning it on, it worked perfectly! Yay!!!
The keyboard works fine and so does the recreated ZX keyboard. The only thing I didn't connect is that battery pack, which seems to have caused the
keyboard issue with my previous Pi.

It's still a mystery though. Especially since the Alt keyboard emulator functions(F1, F9) worked but the regular keyboard keys didn't work, and the R Pi worked with a regular keyboard when I installed a generic R Pi OS image onto it. I would expect the entire keyboard to stop functioning if it's some sort of hardware issue.

Anyway, I'm a happy camper. ZX Baremulator is an excellent piece of software. Many thanks Jose Luis for your hard work on it! If you're curious about this issue and are up to debugging it, I'd be happy to send the dodgy Raspberry PI your way. Let me know, but no obligation.
Mbwum73
Drutt

Post by Mbwum73 »

I have been running ZXBaremulator 3.2 on my Raspberry Pi 2 for a copuple of days now and I'm impressed!
I switch on my Pi2 and a few seconds later the spectrum screen is there. So far everything I loaded jut works as expected. I haven't found glitches or non working titles. If something doesn;t work it's usually caused by a bad tape.

Next thing I'm going to do is put it inside a nice ZX spectrum case and use the original ZX spetrum rebur keyboard.
Because I really want a zx spectrum with HDMI that boots as fast as the original (or close to it).
I do have an original ZX spectrum with a ZXHD expansion (and divmmc and joystick port) but all that stuff in the back of the spectrum makes it so ugly.
So zxbaremulator is a nice to have too.

There's just a few things I hope that will improve in the future (also did a feature request with the author by the waY).
- The option to choose a default machine it always boots. I prefer to always boot in the Toastrack model first.
- An option to set the default joystick model (although the default seems to be kempston now, which is usually the best option)
- The option to add a keyboard status light. Requires 1 extra gpio (on for special key mode, off for normal key mode)
- A default directory to load the tapes from (so not start from the root making all files visibile, but start from a specific folder)

And some more difficult stuff...

- Adding support for other file formats like Z80 (instant loading)
- Write support to tapes (though not very important)
- Even faster loading.

Unfortunately creating a bare emulator is extremely hard and the author did a great job. I hope he finds time and motivation to continue working on this great emulator. Can't thank him enough for what he achieved already.
cmal
Manic Miner

Post by cmal »

That's a good idea. I was going to do the same but changed my mind. After receiving a recreated Spectrum keyboard, it looked so nice and shiny that I didn't want to break it open, drill holes into it and potentially mess it up.
Instead I'm building an outside case to house the Raspberry PI and all the other bits. I've built a prototype out of cardboard and the next step is to build it out of plywood.

Here are some pics below. The wiring inside is a mess at the moment but will be neater when I make the final thing.
ZX Baremulator is perfect for this kind of project.

TMD2003
Rick Dangerous

Post by TMD2003 »

Just in case I missed something, somewhere...

Would this emulator work with an original 2012-spec Pi? (i.e. this one)
Spectribution: Dr. Jim's Sinclair computing pages.
Features my own programs, modified type-ins, RZXs, character sets & UDGs, and QL type-ins... so far!
MonkZy
Manic Miner

Post by MonkZy »

cmal wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:22 pm Here are some pics below.
Always love seeing projects like this. The recreated works great with zx baremulator and I agree it is best used with the pi externally to save chopping the case. I have my Pi attached on the back of the monitor on a harness, so you cannot see it. Your case will look ace.
cmal
Manic Miner

Post by cmal »

TMD2003 wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:14 pm Just in case I missed something, somewhere...

Yes, it should work. The first Pi I tried this on was an original and it worked perfectly. Although I do remember reading somewhere that the author is no longer supporting that model for future releases. You'll have to check with him on future support to be certain.
zx81
Microbot

Post by zx81 »

TMD2003 wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:14 pm Just in case I missed something, somewhere...

Yes, it's supported.
Mbwum73
Drutt

Post by Mbwum73 »

The original Pi1 will work however the author is having great difficulties keeping the first pi supported because of some limitations.
For instance you won't have sound over HDMI.
I think the PI2 is the best option.
It does have sound over HDMI and it's more than capable of running the emulator at full speed. A pi3/3B etc. is a bit overkill for just a spectrum.
zx81
Microbot

Post by zx81 »

Mbwum73 wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:14 pm I think the PI2 is the best option.
It does have sound over HDMI and it's more than capable of running the emulator at full speed. A pi3/3B etc. is a bit overkill for just a spectrum.
The only one advantage from a better PI is a faster "fast loading".

The HDMI sound support needs more CPU than an ARMv6 based PI have. The Circle library uses a cooperative scheduler and the VC4 needs to be attended so frequently that isn't capable of execute the Spectrum emulation and send the needed sound data to the VC4. And more, in Circle all the interrupts are handled by the CPU-0, so the only one CPU present in first PI models isn't so fast to execute all the needed tasks (the USB handling needs many CPU time, the USB host on the PI is crap).

Anyway, I don't know what to do with ZXBaremulator. Develop a bare-metal emulator is a huge task and the user base is really tiny three years after the first release. Today, the people uses software emulators on PC and the alternative solution is a FPGA based board. Not many people have a PI board and many Pi users aren't interested on the ZX Spectrum. That looks as a dead end, my friend...
Pegaz
Dynamite Dan

Post by Pegaz »

I agree.
Simply, time goes on, technology advances and people have more and more choices.
Small board computers are getting cheaper, including fpga multicore solutions, the raspberry pi 4 with latest price reduction and over 3 million units sold, it has already become a far better purchase than the old models.
The Spectrum user base is limited and dispersed, but the Baremulator certainly has its place.
I would just like to get rid of this buzzing sound, which we talked about earlier.
I don't know if you had time to investigate it, I just have this problem on each of my 3 pi models (2, 3, 3+) and I haven't been able to eliminate it, except using the old v2.0 version, which doesn't have a GPIO keyboard support.
However, BM has its advantages, such as precise emulation and the ability to easily connect the Spectrum keyboard and its also free.
I don't know which is the next equivalent variant, I guess ZX-Uno with twice the price than Pi, but also with greater potential for sure.
The new Next kickstarter is already around the corner, so everyone has something to choose for themselves...
Mbwum73
Drutt

Post by Mbwum73 »

Still zxbaremulator is the only cheap alternative with good hdmi support and I can use my ps4 controller with it.

Alternatives? MISTer FPGA is expensive, zxuno doesn't have hdmi and other software emulators require a complete OS resulting in long boot times. The Spectrum next is unavailable and still has a timing problem with HDMI. So maybe there will be a second run, but will they also fix the hdmi problems?

So I hope you consider working on the "easy" parts like that extra keyboard led and maybe a default machine option. I know your audience is small and time is limited, but talking for myself I am a very grateful guy for what you've achieved so far.

Maybe another option is to release the source code so maybe other enthousiast can continue. Unfortunately I'm not a very skilled programmer but maybe someone else is.
zx81
Microbot

Post by zx81 »

Pegaz wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:33 pm
I would just like to get rid of this buzzing sound, which we talked about earlier.
I don't know if you had time to investigate it, I just have this problem on each of my 3 pi models (2, 3, 3+) and I haven't been able to eliminate it, except using the old v2.0 version, which doesn't have a GPIO keyboard support.
However, BM has its advantages, such as precise emulation and the ability to easily connect the Spectrum keyboard and its also free.
I don't know which is the next equivalent variant, I guess ZX-Uno with twice the price than Pi, but also with greater potential for sure.
The new Next kickstarter is already around the corner, so everyone has something to choose for themselves...
The problem with the buzzing sound is that I can't reproduce it on my TVs. Could be that some TVs aren't happy with the 32 kHz sampling rate I use.

The ZX-Uno is dead. I own one, sleeping in his box. Nobody develops cores for it. Now, you can choose a MiSTer, Mistica or SiDi. But don't exist a FPGA core that his behaviour will be so precise as many software emulators. And nobody have enough motivation to enhance the cores. The most important core for MiSTer is NeoGeo.

The Next isn't for me, for less money I can have a MisTer with 128MB, I can live without his pretty keyboard.
zx81
Microbot

Post by zx81 »

Mbwum73 wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:26 pm
Maybe another option is to release the source code so maybe other enthousiast can continue. Unfortunately I'm not a very skilled programmer but maybe someone else is.
Some "smart" guys on eBay are selling ZXBaremulator and BMC64. I don't want to get any money from my emulator, but I don't want that another shameless guy get money from it. Create a commercial "ZX-Mini" could be really easy having the source code at hand. So, the only one solution is don't release the sources. That's the sad true.
akeley
Dynamite Dan

Post by akeley »

ZX-Uno is kinda dead, but I thought its ZX core is pretty mature and doesn't really need any further work. It's the same with MiSTer's ZX core. Do you know of any significant differences which would need fixing? We can always open issue ticket and mention it on the forums. Of course, console cores get more attention, but microcomputer's also have a big following.

BM ZX on a Pi is a good idea for sure, since it's a much cheaper option than FPGAs. Does it help with lag though? When I was using ZX emulators on RetroPie + my RPi 3B+ they've felt very laggy.
TMD2003
Rick Dangerous

Post by TMD2003 »

Just so that you know, the main reason I have a 2012 Pi is because there were a couple on sale in CEX when I looked and I thought I'd buy the one with the case, just to experiment and see what it could do. If there was a "Big Book of Raspberry Pi Projects" published around 2013 that might be useful - but for now, seeing as I've at least made it work with a version of Raspbian from circa 2016 and some bits and pieces I had lying around, and don't intend to go a lot further, I'll explore ZXBaremulator as another option.

So as for the next question:

It is suggested that I need a minimum of 8 GB on the SD card to get even the first version of Raspbian to run properly. I've only got one of those, so that's what I've used for Raspbian. But I also have some 2 GB SD cards sitting idle - would they be OK to run ZXBaremulator from?
Spectribution: Dr. Jim's Sinclair computing pages.
Features my own programs, modified type-ins, RZXs, character sets & UDGs, and QL type-ins... so far!
MonkZy
Manic Miner

Post by MonkZy »

TMD2003 wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:34 am I also have some 2 GB SD cards sitting idle - would they be OK to run ZXBaremulator from?
2 GB is fine for ZX Baremulator.
Mort
Microbot

Post by Mort »

I have found no lag on either the Bmc64 emulator or the ZxBaremulator , They remind me of when I had the z80 emulator running in dos on the pc, just did what is needed to do and no windoze or operating system in the way.

Just great, Bmc64 allow you to save to a virtual disk , I would love to see tape saving to a virtual tape on the zx or snapshot function to save your game position .
i have included a pic of my 2 machines I resurrected out of a dead shell and a new case. And errr the C64 made out of a old case, these all have direct input to the original keyboards by the interfaces suggested on the website which i lovingly soldered together .

I tend to use the Pi3 a+ as its small and easy to cram in the original shell (and cheaper)

and the bmc64 built ;)
Last edited by Mort on Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Scanner extraordinaire, 1000`s of magazines and Software from the 8 and 16 bit era now up on internet archive in lovely 600dpi.
Donations are welcome of items to scan that are no longer needed ;)
Pegaz
Dynamite Dan

Post by Pegaz »

zx81 wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:11 am
Pegaz wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:33 pm
The problem with the buzzing sound is that I can't reproduce it on my TVs. Could be that some TVs aren't happy with the 32 kHz sampling rate I use.

The ZX-Uno is dead. I own one, sleeping in his box. Nobody develops cores for it. Now, you can choose a MiSTer, Mistica or SiDi. But don't exist a FPGA core that his behaviour will be so precise as many software emulators. And nobody have enough motivation to enhance the cores. The most important core for MiSTer is NeoGeo.

The Next isn't for me, for less money I can have a MisTer with 128MB, I can live without his pretty keyboard.
Interesting, I didn’t know the situation with the zx-uno was so bad, I was just thinking of buying one.
In terms of emulation accuracy, what are the main differences between BM and ZX-Uno Spectrum core ?
Regarding buzzing sound, that remains as the only logical explanation, because I tried everything else (several Pi's, hdmi cables, power supplies) and it's always the same.
Is the sound part from v2.0 (including the sample rate you mention) the same or was it changed later, because I don't have a sound problem with this version.
I don't know much about that MisTer board, just noticed insane prices, say over $ 300.
Where do you find all that, cheaper than Next?
As for releasing source code, you are absolutely right.
There are too many thieves and dishonest people, who can't wait to take advantage of someone else's work.
For home use BM is quite good, as it is now.
Mort
Microbot

Post by Mort »

I have the same annoyance with people reselling the mags I lovingly scanned, I have hopefully stolen their thunder as I have rescanned most at 600dpi and made them freely available.

I can understand people selling the interface boards for the baremetal emulators as they do take skill and time to make but not the software itself . At a push the complete machine with the software inside of it , but that is contentious with the amount being charged by some .

I have a few spare c64 interface boards as you have to buy a minimum from Pcbway . But would not resell the software.

To be honest I just love tinkering so making the machines keeps me sane in these uncertain times :D
Scanner extraordinaire, 1000`s of magazines and Software from the 8 and 16 bit era now up on internet archive in lovely 600dpi.
Donations are welcome of items to scan that are no longer needed ;)
Pegaz
Dynamite Dan

Post by Pegaz »

Mort wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:48 am I have found no lag on either the Bmc64 emulator or the ZxBaremulator , They remind me of when I had the z80 emulator running in dos on the pc, just did what is needed to do and no windoze or operating system in the way.
I have always loved such dedicated machines.
Recently I adapted my old Toshiba Portege laptop with RealSpectrum emulator and MB02+ interface, as a default.
It performs really great, with support of a real floppy disks and saved me several hundred dollars for MB02. ;)
This old but still great emulator works best in pure DOS, I put it in the autoexec sequence and it boots up very quickly.
The biggest value of this emulator is full support for physical floppies, for almost all important Spectrum formats and interfaces.
It has full read/write support and I use it as an extremely valuable tool.
akeley
Dynamite Dan

Post by akeley »

Problem with lag is that it needs proper measuring, because the differences are pretty subtle. And OS is not the only reason causing it so there definitely still is some.

You can get MiSTer + 32 SDRAM for ~ 170E. This will run 90% of the cores. ZX Uno is about half that price, but only good for ZX (other cores are half baked).
Mbwum73
Drutt

Post by Mbwum73 »

I never realized people steel from you by selling your hard work. In that case don't release the source code. I was only suggesting it because it could help development forward. It is very usable already though and I'm quite happy with it. I just hope you may find time and inspiration to continue the development. Even if the group of users is still small.

By the way... That buzzing sound I hear it too. After every boot for a few seconds. Didn't hear it 2.0 though.