ZXBaremulator 3.2

Struggling with Fuse or trying to find an emulator with a specific feature. Ask your questions here.
Pegaz
Dynamite Dan

Re: ZXBaremulator 3.2

Post by Pegaz »

Today I continued testing BM 3.2 and found some rough solution how to avoid (mostly) that buzzing sound.
I noticed that after each reset with CTRL + Break, the buzzing stops and then I can enter the menu with F1, select the game and go back to the emulator, without that sound issue.
It’s not too elegant, but it’s the best I can do for now.
I also tried to replace bootcode.bin and fixup.dat from version v2.0 but that didn't help either.
Also, during testing, I noticed that the emulator boot almost two seconds faster, if there are no bcm2xxx *.dtb files on the sd card.
What is the purpose of these files and does their absence cause any problems, since I did not notice them during the brief testing?
zx81
Microbot

Post by zx81 »

Pegaz wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:32 pm Today I continued testing BM 3.2 and found some rough solution how to avoid (mostly) that buzzing sound.
I noticed that after each reset with CTRL + Break, the buzzing stops and then I can enter the menu with F1, select the game and go back to the emulator, without that sound issue.
It’s not too elegant, but it’s the best I can do for now.
I also tried to replace bootcode.bin and fixup.dat from version v2.0 but that didn't help either.
Also, during testing, I noticed that the emulator boot almost two seconds faster, if there are no bcm2xxx *.dtb files on the sd card.
What is the purpose of these files and does their absence cause any problems, since I did not notice them during the brief testing?
Beware, the fixup.dat needs his correct pair, start.elf. FYI, the start.elf is the image of an realtime OS named ThreadX. When this OS loads, only can access to 256MB RAM. The fixup.dat is used to patch the binary to relocate the OS to upper memory and access to all RAM memory.

In the PC world, ACPI serves to describe the hardware. In the ARM world, the (far away) equivalent are the DTB files. Without it, firmware don't know where are the memory mapped I/O ranges, the different devices present on board, etc. They are more than convenient to be present on the SD, or the firmware can't initialize it correctly.
zx81
Microbot

Post by zx81 »

zx81 wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:10 pm
akeley wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:44 pm Can't find Paralactika demo in tap/tzx format, to test it on 128k models, I only have a trd version.
I saw in soime youtube video "paralactika_zx128" or something like that but the author did not leave a link.
Can you share some download link for that version, which you used when testing on 128k machines?
Yes, I have, on my home. But I'm not at home today. Tomorrow afternoon, I'll put a link to it.
The promised link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/yjgnw6wxakxg8 ... s.zip?dl=0
rhester72
Drutt

Post by rhester72 »

For what it's worth, I'm a US-based user who has never even seen a ZX Spectrum in real life, but was interested enough historically that I was overjoyed to find ZXBaremulator (being such a fan of BMC64).

It was compelling enough for me - even at a proper 50Hz, mind - that I ended up also buying the recreated keyboard (at EXTRAORDINARY expense, sheesh!) for a more authentic experience.

I also own a MiSTer, but when I want to get my Elite on, it's ZXBaremulator for me.

The only thing I'd sincerely wish for myself is the ability to save - by tape, save state, whatever. I've dearly wanted to go through a grand adventure like Bard's Tale, but obviously cannot do so in current state.

Whether there are any future updates or not, please know that you HAVE reached a larger community than you may believe, and we are still very much active users and fans! In fact, I registered just now only to tell you this! ;)

Thank you, zx81!
Magic Knight
Drutt

Post by Magic Knight »

zx81 wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:07 pm ZXB is far from complete, IMHO. But, have any sense to add it, when the users are starting to migrate to FPGA based systems?
I have the Next, but I bought a +3A Pi today just to be able to use this emulator, and it's been a real treat. Aside from using the Pi Zero in my Next (that I installed only yesterday), I've never used a Pi before, so it took a while to figure out how to force sound out through the jack when using HDMI, and also how to get the ideal video setup, but it's working very, very well.

Growing up I only ever had a 48K Spectrum with tape recorder - no joysticks - so I don't mind not having too many extra features; 48K and 128K modes and the Multiface are good enough for me.

A great job, thank you so much!
cmal
Manic Miner

Post by cmal »

Mort wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:51 pm i have a next and still like the home made zxbaremetal machines almost as much. All i want is the option to save state my games etc and all would be fine by me :D
I have to agree with @Mort. If a genie popped out of a lantern and granted me a wish for a single ZXB feature, I'd pick the save state feature ;)
Pegaz
Dynamite Dan

Post by Pegaz »

As for me, the tape browser with saving support is the only thing, that is really missing.
Everything else, including snapshot support is just optional...
gZes Deuce
Drutt

Post by gZes Deuce »

If anyone here uses a Speedlink Competition Pro with zxbaremulator. Does anyone know if you can map the buttons? For me it defaults to the small trianle buttons instead of the big round clicky ones.

Great emulator btw.
zx81
Microbot

Post by zx81 »

gZes Deuce wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 6:02 pm If anyone here uses a Speedlink Competition Pro with zxbaremulator. Does anyone know if you can map the buttons? For me it defaults to the small trianle buttons instead of the big round clicky ones.

Great emulator btw.
When I remember correctly, this joystick claims to be compatible with DirectInput but have the X/Y and A/B buttons interchanged between them. This joystick works using the Mayflash NS-MAGIC adapter driver (in DirectInput mode), so I can't change in software the button positions.
gZes Deuce
Drutt

Post by gZes Deuce »

ok cheers for the information
J2112Z
Dizzy

Post by J2112Z »

Hello, New Forum Member here, and my 1st post.

After reading through this thread, I went and bought a Pi 3A+ and installed ZXBaremulator.

Works great, and boots up fast! However... NO audio through HDMI. :cry:

It's not the Pi, or my TV, as the sound works fine on both, with Retropie.

Tried the audio socket, there's sound but it's *very* quiet.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance.
gZes Deuce
Drutt

Post by gZes Deuce »

J2112Z wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:15 am Hello, New Forum Member here, and my 1st post.

After reading through this thread, I went and bought a Pi 3A+ and installed ZXBaremulator.

Works great, and boots up fast! However... NO audio through HDMI. :cry:

It's not the Pi, or my TV, as the sound works fine on both, with Retropie.

Tried the audio socket, there's sound but it's *very* quiet.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance.
Hi and Welcome to the forum.

I'm fairly new to this myself but did you possibly download the Armv6 pack from the ZXBaremulator website?

If you did. Try using the Allfiles pack instead. I'm using a Pi 3 A+ and I've got audio.

Hope this helps.
J2112Z
Dizzy

Post by J2112Z »

@ gZes Deuce:

Thanks for replying. I've tried your suggestion, but unfortunately, that made no difference! :(
zx81
Microbot

Post by zx81 »

The PI firmware chooses the sound output automatically. When you have a HDMI device connected, the sound is sended to it. When no HDMI device is found, the sound is sended to PWM.

Are you tried with another TV set?
J2112Z
Dizzy

Post by J2112Z »

zx81 wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:09 amAre you tried with another TV set?
It's not the TV, as I get sound through HDMI using Retropie, with no problems.
zx81
Microbot

Post by zx81 »

J2112Z wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 2:00 pm
zx81 wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:09 amAre you tried with another TV set?
It's not the TV, as I get sound through HDMI using Retropie, with no problems.
ZXBaremulator uses a non-usual sample rate for audio, 32 khz. I guess that some TVs have problems with it.
J2112Z
Dizzy

Post by J2112Z »

FYI:

The TV that ZXBaremulator won't work with is my bedroom TV (Celcus LED22167FHD LED TV).

I've tried it on my living room TV (Panasonic TX-L32C3B), via HDMI, and the audio works! :)

So, yes, it works, but only on *some* TVs, which is a pain, especially as I intended to use my Pi 3A+ on my bedroom TV, or at other people's houses, on their TVs! :(

Then, I had a 'lightbulb' moment:

I recently bought on eBay, one of those 'generic' HDMI To Scart & HDMI Converter with 3.5mm audio.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Neoteck-HDMI ... 2749.l2649

I plugged the HDMI from my Pi into it, and my Celcus TV SCART plug into the other end. Guess what? I've got sound! :)

Even better, if I plug in another HDMI cable from the TV to the adaper (as it outputs *both* SCART *and* HDMI), I get audio through the HDMI as well!!! :D

As a bonus, I get a sharp, clear picture, whereas with SCART, it's a little fuzzy (although it's more authentic to the original Speccy display quality. ;) )

So, there you have it - a 'workaround'!

The irony is, I bought that adapter by mistake, as I wanted an adapter that has SCART input, *not* output, but I decide to keep it as I thought it may 'come in handy' - it just did!
cmal
Manic Miner

Post by cmal »

The Baremulator project is finally complete! It took a good 3 months or so but I was going at a relaxed pace. The final product works great.

Here are some pics...

Here are a few features: