New release of SpecEmu

Struggling with Fuse or trying to find an emulator with a specific feature. Ask your questions here.
hexaae
Dizzy

Re: New release of SpecEmu

Post by hexaae »

hexaae wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 4:54 pm Joystick input doesn't seem to work... I have XBox One gamepad and Hori Fighting Stick Mini, and when I set Kempston (any port) for input dev 1, 2 all I got is player1 moving and firing randomly on screen...
Please, others can confirm that Joystick emu isn't working well for many games including Atic Atac, After the War, etc... ?

Moreover I noticed this strange behaviour:
Kempston (port 31) works fine with Cybernoid, but my Hori Fighting Stick Mini 4 stick (XInput device, DPAD/POV-hat for directions) can't detect left+up, left+down, right+up, right+down as diagonal directions. Looks like it can't detect multiple directions at once in short.
hexaae
Dizzy

Post by hexaae »

REQUEST:
remap additional controller physical buttons (X, B, Y, RT, LT, etc.) to editable Spectrum keyboard keys. This could be handy with games requiring more than one standard fire button: (e.g.) to open inventory, jump, launch granade with 2nd key etc...
andydansby
Microbot

Post by andydansby »

I have switched to SpecEmu as my default emulator and I have been ecstatic with it's ease of use and accuracy and especially its debugger. There are a few request I would like to make.

DEBUGGER:
Would love to have a GOTO bar above the program window instead of having to go to Edit - Go to, where you can place in the address you would like to jump to.

In the program window, it would be handy to have an indicator of the line currently being executed rather than to have to look at the PC register.

Would like to be able to jump to various pages to view the code/data in that particular page. So for example, while I'm in the home bank, would like to be able to jump to bank 4 to see code in bank 4.

Perhaps have some user defined shortcut keys for various Debug options like CTRL-H to run until you encounter a HALT, like one can do with Debug - Run Until - OP Code - HALT.

Thanks
Andy Dansby
andydansby
Microbot

Post by andydansby »

Being able to reset the Spectrum during debugging without removing the break points would also be handy during a debugging session.

Andy Dansby
Pegaz
Dynamite Dan

Post by Pegaz »

Yesterday, I tried some short basic programs, which we tested undocumented ULA behavior known as "ULA artefacts" many years ago.
I tried all these programs, but this example with stripes on black background, no longer works on the latest couple of SpecEmu versions I tried.
https://omega.webnode.com/news/another-ula-effect/

Then, I tested with the version from 2018 and it worked fine there.
Looks like something's broken and we need a fix.
Here are all the tests, the others seem to be still working fine.
http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fi ... 3877256340

Pegaz
Dynamite Dan

Post by Pegaz »

I noticed that SpecEmu, always opens full screen mode in 640x480 resolution and 75 Hz refresh rate.
This is quite inconvenient, especially when emulator is used on an LCD TV screen, because you can't get full synchronization with a 50 Hz refresh rate for a perfectly smooth scroll.
If its possible to correct this, that emulator uses full screen mode at 50/60Hz refresh rate by default, depending on the selected mode ?
The ability to select different resolutions for full screen mode, also would be very useful.
In windowed mode, these problems do not exist, the screen is perfectly synchronized and smooth.
Luzie
Manic Miner

Post by Luzie »

Pegaz wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:34 pm I noticed that SpecEmu, always opens full screen mode in 640x480 resolution and 75 Hz refresh rate.
In windowed mode, these problems do not exist, the screen is perfectly synchronized and smooth.
I think you need another solution than just changing setting in "specemu.ini" to StartFullscreen=0

You prefer FullScreenMode?
Pegaz
Dynamite Dan

Post by Pegaz »

Well, ALT + Enter is always my preferred solution for full screen mode and works with almost all emulators. ;)
The problem is, that SpecEmu is forcing 640x480 75 Hz resolution, no matter which mode I choose in windows settings.
I tried various other emulators with my LCD TV and 720p 50 Hz resolution set in windows and they always kept that selected resolution in full screen mode... all except SpecEmu..
Luzie
Manic Miner

Post by Luzie »

I´m pretty sure it´s not a "fault" of SpecEmu. Your problem should be found within Win10-Display-Settings or Graphics-Card-Driver-Settings:

Read e.g. here: https://www.reddit.com/r/techsupport/co ... ning_full/
(found with Google-Search "windows 10 fullscreen refresh rate").

Also you may experiment with these settings in SpecEmu.INI:
DirectDraw Acceleration=1 (or 0)
VSync=0 (or 1)
Pegaz
Dynamite Dan

Post by Pegaz »

Still, no luck.
I tried various resolutions and refresh rates in my graphics card settings (I use win 7 ultimate), but every time SpecEmu switch them to 640x480 75Hz or if I use a clone display to 1024x768 70 Hz in full screen mode on my LCD TV.
For example, Spectaculator has two very useful options in the advanced settings/display section, to change or keep dektop resolution, as well as the "Use default refresh rate (LCD panels)" option, which I can use to keep the resolution and refresh rate exactly as I set it in windows and gives me full synchronization and super smooth scroll on TV in full screen mode.
For some reason SpecEmu forces VGA resolutions and doesn’t allow me to use 720p or 1080p 50hz on my HD TV.
I hope Woody can help, changing the resolution in SpecEmu.ini didn't work, becouse SpecEmu just changed those resolutions on the fly and set one of these VGA resolutions again...
Luzie
Manic Miner

Post by Luzie »

Pegaz wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:17 am For some reason SpecEmu forces VGA resolutions and doesn’t allow me to use 720p or 1080p 50hz on my HD TV.
I hope Woody can help, changing the resolution in SpecEmu.ini didn't work, becouse SpecEmu just changed those resolutions on the fly and set one of these VGA resolutions again...
Which graphics Card do you use? An ATI/AMD? Do you use Windows/Microsoft-driver or Driver from maker of the graphics-card? Enabled those TV-Modes in the graphic-cards driver?

btw. I never really used SpecEmus Fullscreen-Mode until now. I really like it :D I use Win10 x64. I should try this all with another monitor as mine sadly don´t display refresh rates and resolutions.
Pegaz
Dynamite Dan

Post by Pegaz »

It has nothing to do with the driver, apparently its SpecEmu limitation.
Like I said, most other emulators work the way they should, using my default windows desktop settings for full screen resolution/refresh rate on HD TV.
btw, I know the basics, so please skip the 24 beginner questions. ;)
At first, I thought you were giving me some advice from experience with this problem, but if you have just tried full screen with emulators on your monitor, then we're pretty much stuck, I'm afraid...
My primary intention is to use Spectrum emulators from my laptop on a TV screen via HDMI connection, and I have already explained the reasons earlier.
I know it’s very hard to get a chance to talk to Woody and how rarely he shows up here, so I was hoping he would at least answer something, with some advice, especially if I’m making a fundamental mistake somewhere.
Luzie
Manic Miner

Re: New release of SpecEmu v3.1 build 20/11/20

Post by Luzie »

Pegaz wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:24 pm I know it’s very hard to get a chance to talk to Woody and how rarely he shows up here, so I was hoping he would at least answer something, with some advice, especially if I’m making a fundamental mistake somewhere.
If you are on WOS you may talk to user "Polomint" who created extended SpecEmu-Versions in the past.

btw. Found news about two days old, new SpecEmu-Version here:
https://zx-pk.ru/threads/12617-specemu. ... ost1090159

Download: https://keybase.pub/woodywoodster/spece ... 201120.zip
From Changelog:
v3.1 build 20/11/20
-------------------
Fixed minor ULAplus bug
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Hi [mention]Luzie[/mention],

Woodster already posted about the new version here:

viewtopic.php?p=50742#p50742

He fixed it after we did a thread on a Christmas demo.
zup
Manic Miner

Post by zup »

Pegaz wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:34 pmI noticed that SpecEmu, always opens full screen mode in 640x480 resolution and 75 Hz refresh rate.
This is quite inconvenient, especially when emulator is used on an LCD TV screen, because you can't get full synchronization with a 50 Hz refresh rate for a perfectly smooth scroll.
If its possible to correct this, that emulator uses full screen mode at 50/60Hz refresh rate by default, depending on the selected mode ?
The ability to select different resolutions for full screen mode, also would be very useful.
Are you sure it is a SpecEmu "feature"?

Most flat monitors are "locked" to a few refresh settings, although the manual says it accepts a range of frequencies (i.e.: 640x480 modes may use 60, 72 or 75Hz). Older CRT monitors were more flexible.

In this case, you won't get 640x480@50Hz... because the monitor won't allow that (and if you force that mode, you'll get a black screen with the nasty "Out of sync" message).

Last month I bought a new CRT monitor that has Freesync support. With that feature active the frame counter on my screen goes between 99 and 102 fps, that seems correct for an "about 50Hz" device.

BTW Bitdefender insists on locking your emulator, saying it is infected with "Gen:Variant.Razy.791762"...
Luzie
Manic Miner

Post by Luzie »

zup wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:28 pm Are you sure it is a SpecEmu "feature"?

Most flat monitors are "locked" to a few refresh settings, although the manual says it accepts a range of frequencies (i.e.: 640x480 modes may use 60, 72 or 75Hz). Older CRT monitors were more flexible.
I thought this too, but it really seems SpecEmu´s Fullscreen is hardcoded to one or two videomodes, as far as I´ve tested:

When setting my Win10 x64 to Desktop-Resolution 720p@50Hz (=1280x720@50Hz) in SpecEmu Windowed Mode,
switching to SpecEmu-Fullscreen results in 640x480@75Hz.

When setting my Win10 x64 to Desktop-Resolution 1360x768@50Hz in SpecEmu Windowed Mode,
switching to SpecEmu-Fullscreen results in 1360x768@60Hz.

However, my Laptops Intel Graphics card only support refresh rates of 60 Hz. Can´t get other refresh-rates like 50Hz, 59,9Hz only in other resolution for the Win-Desktop (and not for SpecEmu). And can´t set any videomodes with this. Maybe this will be better with Laptops with AMD or NVIDIA-graphics-card.
Luzie
Manic Miner

Post by Luzie »

zup wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:28 pm BTW Bitdefender insists on locking your emulator, saying it is infected with "Gen:Variant.Razy.791762"...
No problem here (Windows Defender). Maybe you could scan this with Multi-Virus-Scanner online at: www.jotti.org
Pegaz
Dynamite Dan

Post by Pegaz »

zup wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:28 pm
Pegaz wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:34 pmI noticed that SpecEmu, always opens full screen mode in 640x480 resolution and 75 Hz refresh rate.
Are you sure it is a SpecEmu "feature"?
Yes.

In this case, you won't get 640x480@50Hz... because the monitor won't allow that (and if you force that mode, you'll get a black screen with the nasty "Out of sync" message).

Last month I bought a new CRT monitor that has Freesync support. With that feature active the frame counter on my screen goes between 99 and 102 fps, that seems correct for an "about 50Hz" device.

BTW Bitdefender insists on locking your emulator, saying it is infected with "Gen:Variant.Razy.791762"...
I also didnt use other monitors, except this one from my laptop where 60 hz is the only refresh rate.
Thats why I connected the laptop to the lcd tv via the hdmi output and tried the 720p and 1080p 50hz, which are supported in both graphics card settings and my TV.
As Luzie has confirmed, SpecEmu refuses to accept these resolutions in full screen mode and most often sets 640x480 75Hz, 1024x768 70Hz as well as 1360x768 60Hz.
As I already wrote, in windowed mode, everything works properly.
The vast majority of other emulators, have no such limitation and accept the selected windows desktop resolution in full screen mode, too.

About AV warning, this is the commom issue with SpecEmu, its false positive alert, but still very annoying, I have it too with my Panda AV.
Surprisingly, the previous version did not have this problem, but this latest has it again.
The solution is to compress the exe file or put it on the excluded list of your AV program.
Luzie
Manic Miner

Post by Luzie »

Hi [mention]Pegaz[/mention] did you try enabling the Vsync-Option in SpecEmu? On short try, this gives me 60 Hz in Fullscreen instead of 75 Hz in Windowed Mode. Hope I´m not wrong on my short test.
Luzie
Manic Miner

Post by Luzie »

Hi [mention]Pegaz[/mention] ,

I tried an USB graphics-card (WS-UGA17D1), which only support 60 Hz-Modes: https://evertek.com/Product/WS-UGA17D1.
With this, I get 640x480@60fps. Sadly this doesn´t support 1280x720=720p Resolution.

One question: Is there a special demo or software where you get a bad picture in Full-Screen-Mode or is this with all programs you run?
Pegaz
Dynamite Dan

Post by Pegaz »

As I said before, the main problem is, that SpecEmu obviously supports only VGA resolutions with referesh rates of 60Hz or higher.
That’s probably good enough for CRT or some quality LCD monitors, but the synchronized image with a 50hz refresh rate on the LCD TV is closest to what we have on a real Spectrum.
For now, I didn't find a way to acheive this and set SpecEmu to keep windows desktop resolution and a 50 hz refresh rate in full screen mode.
I doubt we can do anything about it, but thanks for trying, anyway..
Pegaz
Dynamite Dan

Post by Pegaz »

Luzie wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:53 pm One question: Is there a special demo or software where you get a bad picture in Full-Screen-Mode or is this with all programs you run?
Its a general lack of smooth animation (eg. horizontal scroll in games), with visible chopping and tearing on the screen.
SpecEmu simply doesnt allow me to sync picture with 50 hz and persistently forces different resolutions and higher refresh rates.
hexaae
Dizzy

Post by hexaae »

Can't g-sync help in this case?
Thanks to g-sync I can play MAME games (54-58-55Hz and other weird refreshes for some games) and WinUAE (native Amiga PAL: 50Hz, NTSC: 60Hz) butter-smooth, at least in full screen.
zup
Manic Miner

Post by zup »

hexaae wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:55 pmCan't g-sync help in this case?
Thanks to g-sync I can play MAME games (54-58-55Hz and other weird refreshes for some games) and WinUAE (native Amiga PAL: 50Hz, NTSC: 60Hz) butter-smooth, at least in full screen.
That's what I said.

When you're in window mode, the screen refresh rate is "locked" to what you chose in your desktop properties (i.e.: if your desktop is at 1920x1080@60Hz, that will be the refresh rate used in any/every/all applications in windowed mode).

When you're in full-screen mode, the application may choose between any resolution/refresh rate combo that the monitor can handle. Using EDID, the VGA card will know what resolution/refresh are supported (that in flat screens usually are locked to a few combos, CRT monitors used to support every refresh rate in a range). In my Philips TV you can do 1920x1080 at 24, 25, 30 and 60Hz... but nothing in-between (i.e.: 50Hz).

Using freesync, the computer sends frames "as are available", between certain refresh rates. My monitor (freesync, connected to a Nvidia 1050) has a OSD frame counter, and seems to support any refresh rate up to 144Hz (but doubles low refresh rates). When using Specemu at full screen it displays between 99 and 102Hz, that seems correct (about 50Hz refresh, doubled). I'd have to check which resolution/refresh have on my wife's monitor (an older LCD model that does not support free refresh).

BTW, I don't know what does "borderless window" means... so I don't know how it behaves.
Luzie
Manic Miner

Post by Luzie »

hexaae wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:55 pm Can't g-sync help in this case?
Hi, this is no solution for [mention]Pegaz[/mention] as he wants to use his Laptop with it´s built-in graphics-card.