ZXSpin: Kempston joystick issue with some games

Struggling with Fuse or trying to find an emulator with a specific feature. Ask your questions here.
hexaae
Dizzy

ZXSpin: Kempston joystick issue with some games

Post by hexaae »

Am I the only one with Kempston joystick not working (crazy moving) with some games like Astro Marine Corps or Navy Moves?
Using other emulators like Es.Pector http://www.habisoft.com/espectrum/ they work fine instead...
Last edited by hexaae on Thu Feb 27, 2020 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ZXDunny
Manic Miner

Re: ZXSpin: Kempston joystick issue with some games

Post by ZXDunny »

hexaae wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 5:02 pm Am I the only one with Kempston joystick not working (crazy moving) with some games like Astro Marine Corps or Navy Moves?
Using other emulators like Es.Pector http://www.habisoft.com/espectrum/ it does work instead...
No, you're not the only one. Unless you're the only one who uses ZXSpin.
hexaae
Dizzy

Post by hexaae »

Hi there (I'm also an EAB)! :)
Oh... ok...
ZXDunny
Manic Miner

Post by ZXDunny »

hexaae wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 5:10 pm Hi there (I'm also an EAB)! :)
Oh... ok...
I will fix it at some point soonish. I'm looking at rewriting ZXSpin and combining it with BASin with support for NextBASIC so it will likely get done then.
Lethargeek
Manic Miner

Post by Lethargeek »

oh, i'm hoping to see the new modern bugfixed zxspin some day
hexaae
Dizzy

Post by hexaae »

ZXDunny wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:42 pm
hexaae wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 5:10 pm Hi there (I'm also an EAB)! :)
Oh... ok...
I will fix it at some point soonish. I'm looking at rewriting ZXSpin and combining it with BASin with support for NextBASIC so it will likely get done then.
WOW! We're looking forward to it!
Joefish
Rick Dangerous

Post by Joefish »

ZXDunny wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:42 pmI will fix it at some point soonish. I'm looking at rewriting ZXSpin and combining it with BASin with support for NextBASIC so it will likely get done then.
Top stuff; I think ZXSpin is the most useful emulator out there. Though I'd love some more command-line features (if there are any) for debugging (e.g. can you substitute a ROM file from the command line?).

Also, I noticed a while back, BASIN doesn't seem to like INKEY$#... :mrgreen:
ZXDunny
Manic Miner

Post by ZXDunny »

Joefish wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 2:51 pm
ZXDunny wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:42 pmI will fix it at some point soonish. I'm looking at rewriting ZXSpin and combining it with BASin with support for NextBASIC so it will likely get done then.
Top stuff; I think ZXSpin is the most useful emulator out there. Though I'd love some more command-line features (if there are any) for debugging (e.g. can you substitute a ROM file from the command line?).

Also, I noticed a while back, BASIN doesn't seem to like INKEY$#... :mrgreen:
Spin - no, I don't think you can. I'll add command line stuff to the to-do. BASin hijacks INKEY$ in the ROM to read the PC keyboard so INKEY$# won't work unfortunately. But I'll also add that to the list.
Joefish
Rick Dangerous

Post by Joefish »

OK, so it wouldn't work anyway... But I seem to remember the problem I found is that it didn't accept it in the editor as valid syntax.

I was diverting the INPUT / OUPUT streams. BASIN works with my CharAde functions which are diverting PRINT# and LPRINT, and I got it to work with a botched-together divert for INPUT# that I wrote. But I couldn't test INKEY$#. I think was then trying to work out how to handle the PRINT# equivalent of INPUT "Name: ";A$ and got too confused and gave up! :cry:

While you're at it - not asking much here! - one feature I like of 'RetroVirtualMachine' is the ability to view the alternate 128K screen in a separate window. There are a few bits of RGB/VGA/HD hardware that can do that now, depending on setup, and I keep meaning to develop something that drives two screens... Eventually...
hexaae
Dizzy

Post by hexaae »

REQUESTS
Joysticks with DPAD (POV-hat) support
TurboSound audio HW support
:D

P.s. don't know why but I've noticed refresh is not as smooth as other emulators (Es.pectrum 0.8.0, RVM, ...). Noticed with games like Hysteria (parallax) or Atic-Atac (sprite movement horizontally) where I've seen some jittering not present on other emulators. 1920x1080 gsync (on off makes no difference) at 144Hz here.
ZXDunny
Manic Miner

Post by ZXDunny »

hexaae wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 6:45 pm REQUESTS
Joysticks with DPAD (POV-hat) support
TurboSound audio HW support
:D

P.s. don't know why but I've noticed refresh is not as smooth as other emulators (Es.pectrum 0.8.0, RVM, ...). Noticed with games like Hysteria (parallax) or Atic-Atac (sprite movement horizontally) where I've seen some jittering not present on other emulators. 1920x1080 gsync (on off makes no difference) at 144Hz here.
Because ZXSpin is over ten years old now since the last update and those display technologies didn't exist back when I wrote the display code. Future versions will support them. Back when ZXSpin was new the display was superior to all other emulators - but not now.
hexaae
Dizzy

Post by hexaae »

Indeed is still my preferred ZX emu: best compatiblity with all formats, accurate emu... you can even remap extra controller buttons to the Spectrum keyboard for those games with more than 1 fire button (exclusive feature missing in all other ZX emulators), and a lot of useful options and features!
Let me know if you need a beta tester for next ZXSpin :)
hexaae
Dizzy

Post by hexaae »

News?
hexaae
Dizzy

Post by hexaae »

No ZXSpin 2 in the work, yet? I'm in desperate need of all ZXSpin's features in a modern ZX emulator :)
ZXDunny
Manic Miner

Post by ZXDunny »

This year's been a bit of a bugger all told, so I'm quite behind on most of my projects. It's still planned but I've not been able to work on it.

I was planning on making some headway this weekend, but some asshole released a star wars game.
hexaae
Dizzy

Post by hexaae »

"Don't forget ZXSpin..." - says The Force
hexaae
Dizzy

Post by hexaae »

Survivisection game: Kempston Mouse emu doesn't seem to work...
Joefish
Rick Dangerous

Post by Joefish »

ZXDunny wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 11:22 amI was planning on making some headway this weekend, but some asshole released a star wars game.
In VR as well. How dare they! :mrgreen:
ZXDunny
Manic Miner

Post by ZXDunny »

Joefish wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 3:44 pm
ZXDunny wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 11:22 amI was planning on making some headway this weekend, but some asshole released a star wars game.
In VR as well. How dare they! :mrgreen:
Precisely. I have spent every moment I've had spare in the last few weeks tooling about in an X-Wing. VR makes it seriously special.
hexaae
Dizzy

Post by hexaae »

hexaae
Dizzy

Post by hexaae »

[mention]ZXDunny[/mention]
News? We will hopefully see an update to your excellent ZXSpin in 2021?
ZXDunny
Manic Miner

Post by ZXDunny »

Not so far, but do keep prodding me. I will get to it... at some point.
TMD2003
Rick Dangerous

Post by TMD2003 »

ZXDunny wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 10:45 am Not so far, but do keep prodding me. I will get to it... at some point.
Dunny... remember that time when t'other forum was deep in the midst of drama, but a few of us decided on a meetup in Manchester regardless? I remember you said back then that a whole new ground-up version of Spin was your grand project. That was just over four years ago.

So here's a target to get you going: there's another emulator out there that's incredibly useful, but has issues, and is also being reworked into a "version 2.0": EightyOne. It's my ZX81/80 emulator of choice, in the same way as I'd always opt for Spin when I'm writing little bits of machine code, because nothing else has the built-in Z80 assembler.

If you can get something tangible to show off before EightyOne 2.0 is released, you'll earn yourself a corned beef sandwich. Get the final Spin 2.0 (or will that be Spin 1.0, seeing as the last "official" version was 0.666?) released before EightyOne 2.0 and you'll earn yourself a year's supply of corned beef sandwiches, and a top-of-the-range lawnmower*.

Get it done before Wintersun release Time II and you'll earn... nothing, because if that album is ever released I will eat my house, brick by brick, including the slightly rotten wooden "garage" and all the spiders and slugs that live in it. (And I checked. "Hey guys! We've got four new albums on the go all at the same time, because two wasn't enough, who do you think we are, the Finnish Guns N' Roses? Oh, by the way, Time II isn't one of the four, but seriously, stop comparing it to The Chinese Democracy, because it really, really won't take 17 years to get finished... wait... what do you mean we started it in 2006 and we're 15 years into the process already? Shove that thought aside. Remember to like and subscribe and join our Patreon!" etc etc etc...)

* NOTE: this may actually be a goat**.

** NOTE: this may mean a cuddly toy*** rather than a real, live goat.

*** NOTE: I reserve the right to give the cuddly toy to my two-year-old nephew instead, provided this doesn't drag on so long that he hits puberty before this saga is all over.
Spectribution: Dr. Jim's Sinclair computing pages.
Features my own programs, modified type-ins, RZXs, character sets & UDGs, and QL type-ins... so far!
hexaae
Dizzy

Post by hexaae »

[mention]ZXDunny[/mention]
News for a new release of your excellent emu?
hexaae
Dizzy

Post by hexaae »

Here is a new reminder! :D
News for a new ZXSpin release?