Unreal Speccy compatibility

Struggling with Fuse or trying to find an emulator with a specific feature. Ask your questions here.
Pegaz
Dynamite Dan

Unreal Speccy compatibility

Post by Pegaz »

I tried yesterday to set the UnrealSpeccy emulator to use ROMs from the standard Sinclair models 48 / 128K, but still some games don't work well.
For example, I used the Old Tower, which works but shows certain color artifacts.
I know there is a special Pentagon version for this and some other games that don't work well (border in Aquaplane is a known example) but I wonder if this emulator can be tuned to fully support standard Sinclair machines or not?
I saw in the .ini file that its possible to change the ULA timings preset but I don't know what the settings are for the standard 48 / 128K models.
Would that change help to achieve full compatibility or does the emulator itself have this limitation.
This is how the ULA Preset looks for the default Pentagon model:
What should I change to get full 48K / 128K compatibility?
Pegaz
Dynamite Dan

Re: Unreal Speccy compatibility

Post by Pegaz »

In the meantime, I found and tested timings from the standard 48/128 models, but obviously emulation of the original models is not fully implemented because theres no support for contended memory.
With original timings it is possible to repair eg border in Aquaplane, but many other games still not working well and its necessary to use Pentagon versions if exists.
Another good example is also the MDA Demo, which doesn't work properly at all, no matter what I've tried and unfortunately I didnt find a fixed Pentagon version.
This is a very good emulator, but obviously only for Russian models.
Much more versatile is the ZX Mak emulator, which works on a modular principle, where its even possible to make hybrid Spectrum configurations, which dont exist in reality, but very suitable for testing.
Alessandro
Dynamite Dan

Post by Alessandro »

Yes, ZXMAK can emulate the 48K/128K properly enough. UnrealSpeccy is a worthwhile emulator for more exotic configurations nonetheless. As of now, it is the only one which allowed me to run Time Gal under ATM-Turbo emulation.

By the way, do you know anything about more recent versions of both programs? In my archive I have ZXMAK 2.9-2.39319, dated 14.06.2015, and UnrealSpeccy 0.39.0, dated 18.01.2019.
Pegaz
Dynamite Dan

Post by Pegaz »

Alessandro wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 4:26 pm Yes, ZXMAK can emulate the 48K/128K properly enough. UnrealSpeccy is a worthwhile emulator for more exotic configurations nonetheless. As of now, it is the only one which allowed me to run Time Gal under ATM-Turbo emulation.

By the way, do you know anything about more recent versions of both programs? In my archive I have ZXMAK 2.9-2.39319, dated 14.06.2015, and UnrealSpeccy 0.39.0, dated 18.01.2019.
You already have the latest version of UnrealSpeccy, which I also use and you can find the latest version of ZXMak (v2.9.3.8) on the author's github page:
https://github.com/zxmak/ZXMAK2/releases
Alessandro
Dynamite Dan

Post by Alessandro »

Thanks. It seems they both have not been updated for more than a year by now, then.
Pegaz
Dynamite Dan

Post by Pegaz »

Last couple of days, I have continued to test the software for Russian Spectrum clones.
I haven’t followed the Russian scene too much in the past few years and I have to say I’m impressed.
I was particularly interested in the strongest ZX Evolution model, a sort of Eastern Spectrum Next, a very powerful machine with improved graphics and sound capabilities and many other features.
I looked at some games and demos for enhanced graphics modes and they really look great. :shock:
Here are some of them and I'm honestly not sure Spectrum Next can do better than this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egs6RKEROAY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1cFGK5xG6g
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wv6OHi5R8ug
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EatmwQHXdto
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCbgYB-7NA8
Lethargeek
Manic Miner

Post by Lethargeek »

Pegaz wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 6:19 pm I was particularly interested in the strongest ZX Evolution model, a sort of Eastern Spectrum Next, a very powerful machine with improved graphics and sound capabilities and many other features.
I looked at some games and demos for enhanced graphics modes and they really look great. :shock:
Here are some of them and I'm honestly not sure Spectrum Next can do better than this:
Personally, i think the tile-sprite approach of these extended modes (both Next and Evo/TS-conf) as "non-spectrum", and even "anti-spectrum" and walking the wrong direction. But that's just my opinion. Purely on the tech side, IIRC the 1st Next gfx specs looked abysmal compared to TS-conf (especially in the sprite department). Now it's much better and very close (still not impressing most russian guys much as underlying Evo hardware is obviously much older and less capable).
Pegaz
Dynamite Dan

Post by Pegaz »

You may be right and I have thought in a similar way for years.
But, then another question arises, which Spectrum is pure enough, to be called Spectrum?
Maybe just a Spectrum 16k, then?
If we add more memory, sound chip, disk drive etc, is it still Spectrum?
I think so, and that's why for me, the ZX Evo and Next are also part of the Spectrum family, modern, strong, ready for the 21st century. :)
For example, if we compare the Amiga 500 and say the fully equipped A4000 with some powerful turbo card, is it still an Amiga?
But, like you said, it's just a matter of opinion.
For me, the biggest impression is the sheer amount of software for eastern clones.
Literally tons of new or improved versions of games, demos, intros, music, graphics, you name it ...
Every time I go to try out the eastern software base, I feel like I've entered the Ali Baba cave. ;)

btw, I was very impressed with the wifi modules for ZX Evo, where it is possible to access and download games, music, pictures and other material directly from the internet and store on Evo hd or sd card.
Really cool stuff:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVaNe74bjc0
Lethargeek
Manic Miner

Post by Lethargeek »

Pegaz wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:32 pm You may be right and I have thought in a similar way for years.
But, then another question arises, which Spectrum is pure enough, to be called Spectrum?
Maybe just a Spectrum 16k, then?
If we add more memory, sound chip, disk drive etc, is it still Spectrum?
if we add external (at least logically) devices, it is still spectrum; if the software (except the drivers etc) doesn't absolutely depend on their presence, but may use them as an option, it is still a spectrum software

now, when the extensions are integral to the core architecture it's debatable; how seamless it's integrated with the old one?
such a machine could be called "spectrum-compatible" at most, and its new software won't be a spectrum software anymore
Pegaz wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:32 pm I think so, and that's why for me, the ZX Evo and Next are also part of the Spectrum family, modern, strong, ready for the 21st century. :)
For example, if we compare the Amiga 500 and say the fully equipped A4000 with some powerful turbo card, is it still an Amiga?
that depends on the card and how much original hardware still works i guess (it might be well just a keyboard and fdd)
and the there is another example of pegasos not considered to be an amiga by many hardcore amigans