Favourite Emulators

Struggling with Fuse or trying to find an emulator with a specific feature. Ask your questions here.
8BitAG
Dynamite Dan

Re: Favourite Emulators

Post by 8BitAG »

Still Spectaculator, despite the fact it's no longer updated. I just find the menu system/UI so much easier to use than a lot of the other alternatives.
8-bit Text Adventure Gamer - games - research.
Ralf
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ralf »

My main emulator is Spectaculator, I use it about 80-90% of time.

I like it for friendly interface and stability (not hanging or crashing). It also works very well with .rzx recordings which is
important for me personally. Has also good support of joysticks and disk systems.

Small but nice feature is being able to copy/paste Spectrum screen directly into graphic editor without saving a file.

I don't really care for some esotheric stuff like MEMPTR register or new inventions like ULA+.

What I miss in Spectaculator is:
-good tape editor: being able to edit, rename, move, copy or delete blocks on your virtual tape
-advanced debugger.

In case when I need advanced debugger, I use Spin. That's probably my remaining 10-20% of time.
Shame that Jon abandoned Spectaculator :( He presented some screenshots with really nice advancements to debugger.
llewelyn
Manic Miner

Post by llewelyn »

It's FUSE all the way for me. Has never given me a problem but then I'm not a very demanding user since most of its facilities are meaningless to me! However it is robust and idiot proof (I should know!) and I'm at least two upgrades behind but it just does what I want and you can't say fairer than that.
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Post by Juan F. Ramirez »

- SpecEmu for Windows.
- ZXDS for N3DS XL. The coolest way of playing, definitely.
- Spectaculator for Android in a 10' tablet + USB keyboard is also another funny option.
Last edited by Juan F. Ramirez on Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zx81
Microbot

Post by zx81 »

- ZXDS for DSi XL.
- Fuse and/or JSpeccy for Linux.
- ZXBaremulator for Raspberry PI. Play easily at full-screen over HDMI using a Bluetooth gamepad is too much addictive. :lol:
MatGubbins
Dynamite Dan

Post by MatGubbins »

EmuZWin2.7 for Windows XP. Does everything that I want it to do. Excellent for assembler, fabulous sprite/graphic finder and a debugger that does just that. It's smooth, runs things the way I want it to be.
The roll-back time is most helpful for checking that a bit of programming has done what it is told, claiming back that life when it was grabbed, testing a leap of faith from platform into the unknown.
Control of the speed from 5% to 800% to watch a screen draw or to skip though an unskippable cut scenes.
Lethargeek
Manic Miner

Post by Lethargeek »

MatGubbins wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:23 pm EmuZWin2.7 for Windows XP. Does everything that I want it to do.
but beware, EmuZWin was abandoned for a long time, and each version is buggy in its own unique way
for example, 256 colors mode is broken in 2.7 but works in 2.6 and there were other bugs i can't remember right now
MatGubbins
Dynamite Dan

Post by MatGubbins »

Lethargeek wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:52 pm
MatGubbins wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:23 pm EmuZWin2.7 for Windows XP. Does everything that I want it to do.
but beware, EmuZWin was abandoned for a long time, and each version is buggy in its own unique way
for example, 256 colors mode is broken in 2.7 but works in 2.6 and there were other bugs i can't remember right now
Yup, that and those bugs I am aware of. As with many emulators out there, they too have bugs and quirks that make them a hassle to use, view and listen to.