Inkspector 2.0 released

Struggling with Fuse or trying to find an emulator with a specific feature. Ask your questions here.
Inky
Dizzy

Inkspector 2.0 released

Post by Inky »

Hi,

I’ve just released Inkspector 2.0 final (there was a preview version released before Xmas). It’s a new ZX Spectrum emulator for Windows with all-new code (non carried over from the Inkspector 1 screensaver). As well as the usual things you’d expect from a modern emulator (accurate Z80 emulation, emulation of all funky Spectrum behaviours including the +2A/+3 floating bus) it also has a built-in macro assembler, debugger with powerful breakpoint features, Lua scripting and lots more (no, really...loads more). It also comes with a headless command line version that can be used to convert, examine and manipulate snapshots and tape images, assemble source files, run the exact same Lua scripts, etc.

It’s free, it’s adware-free, it’s spyware free and it’s fun-free. What have you got to lose?
http://www.inkland.org.uk/inkspector/

Cheers
Mark.
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Re: Inkspector 2.0 released

Post by Ast A. Moore »

Aww . . . Too bad it doesn’t run under Wine. Really wanted to try it out. :(
Every man should plant a tree, build a house, and write a ZX Spectrum game.

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
and zasm Z80 Assembler syntax highlighter.
MonkZy
Manic Miner

Post by MonkZy »

[mention]Inky[/mention] Interesting emulator. Thanks for sharing.

Ast A. Moore wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 5:57 pm Aww . . . Too bad it doesn’t run under Wine. Really wanted to try it out. :(
Seems to run OK under Wine (Debian/Ubuntu). Not really thoroughly tested it yet, just loaded up a couple of .tzx files with success, just trying some of the tools now.
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ast A. Moore »

MonkZy wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 6:53 pm Seems to run OK under Wine (Debian/Ubuntu).
Bummer. It doesn’t for me in macOS. Could be missing a library.

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
MonkZy
Manic Miner

Post by MonkZy »

Ast A. Moore wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 7:00 pm Could be missing a library.
I did recently install XACT ('winetricks xact'). Other than that I think my Wine is a vanilla install.
MonkZy
Manic Miner

Post by MonkZy »

[mention]Ast A. Moore[/mention]

I have installed the .NET framework on my wine. I installed it via winetricks.
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ast A. Moore »

MonkZy wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 7:17 pm I have installed the .NET framework on my wine. I installed it via winetricks.
Ah, yes. I seem to remember and earlier build of InkSpector requiring that. Thanks!

azesmbog
Manic Miner

Post by azesmbog »

Thanks for the new version.
My border tests in mode 48 now work correctly, but in mode 128 there is still an offset in the timings.
Timing_Tests-48k_v1.0 - shows two errors
(not one in SpecEmu)
Special thanks for the screen saver - it’s been on for six months now, I just added some .rzx files.
Inky
Dizzy

Post by Inky »

Hi. I'll take a look at those issues. Tests 36 and 37 are so weird. What's confusing me more is that they appear to use the same code as test 35, which passes :?

Mark.
ZXOxo67
Drutt

Post by ZXOxo67 »

Yes, a great Emulator. It my New number one
Pegaz
Dynamite Dan

Post by Pegaz »

Yes, a really good and accurate emulator, one of the few that can handle the DB1 disk protection that was discussed recently.
However, I'm a little disappointed because there is no real full screen mode and it doesn't manage to fully synchronize the screen on the TV/monitor with a 50 Hz refresh rate in order to get a perfectly smooth scrolling.
I already mentioned that several emulators do this very well - ZX Ulax, SpecIDE, Spectaculator, ZX Mak 2 ...
Emulator looks very good, with nice and clear GUI and a lot of useful features, great debugger and ZX80, ZX81 and Jupiter Ace emulation as a bonus.
Well done!
Cosmium
Microbot

Post by Cosmium »

Yeah, this looks really good!

I wanted to check out the debugger's nifty ability to load symbol files to aid debugging, but couldn't get it to work yet.

Pasmo seems to correctly output a game.sym file in the same directory as the game.tap file, and the Inkspector debugger can run and view the code, but no symbols are present!

The game.sym file takes the form:
Label1 EQU 088A6H
Label2 EQU 08686H
Label3 EQU 08695H

I tried different debugger options and have checked "Attempt to load symbols from a .sym symbol file" and "Files Produced by: Pasmo" but just can't seem to get any symbols displayed in the debugger. Any ideas please?
Vampyre
Manic Miner

Post by Vampyre »

Excellent stuff - been thoroughly enjoying this emulator for a while now. Great job, sir!
ZX Spectrum Reviews REST API: http://zxspectrumreviews.co.uk/
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Little touches like the Snapshot Preview are an excellent addition.

Excellent stuff.
Inky
Dizzy

Post by Inky »

Hi,
Cosmium wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:10 am I wanted to check out the debugger's nifty ability to load symbol files to aid debugging, but couldn't get it to work yet.
Symbol and listing files are only loaded for snapshots, not tape images ATM. I knocked up an example here if you want to see it in action:
http://www.inkland.org.uk/inkspector/tb.zip
Ersh
Manic Miner

Post by Ersh »

Looks great! I only see installer downloads, is there a chance you could distribute a binary package as well?
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Ersh wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:58 am Looks great! I only see installer downloads, is there a chance you could distribute a binary package as well?
Agreed, I prefer 'portable' versions too.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

You may get some grief from Mr Wilcox regarding including Manic Miner... I've not been following this story closely, so apologies if I have this wrong.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

[mention]Inky[/mention],

May I ask what I'm doing wrong with Microdrive emulation?

I've enabled interface one, and showing the Microdrive control panel, but when I go to 'View', then 'Microdrives' everything is greyed out. I tried a hard reset.

**EDIT** Fixed - I saved the config, closed down the emulator, re-started it and the Microdrive control panel worked fine.

Many thanks

PS - Its so nice to see a modern UI. Nice work!

Inky
Dizzy

Post by Inky »

Ersh wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:58 am Looks great! I only see installer downloads, is there a chance you could distribute a binary package as well?
Done.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Excellent [mention]Inky[/mention]
Cosmium
Microbot

Post by Cosmium »

Inky wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:48 am Hi,
Cosmium wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:10 am I wanted to check out the debugger's nifty ability to load symbol files to aid debugging, but couldn't get it to work yet.
Symbol and listing files are only loaded for snapshots, not tape images ATM. I knocked up an example here if you want to see it in action:
http://www.inkland.org.uk/inkspector/tb.zip
Ah ok - I'll make a snapshot and work from there. Thanks :)
Ersh
Manic Miner

Post by Ersh »

Inky wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:45 pm Done.
Thanks! :)

I just had a quick look and this is exactly what I've been looking for; a modern UI with a really powerful debugger. Great overview of T-states and executed instructions show timing as well, conditional breakpoints with the option to set access breakpoints straight from the memory viewer. And lots more, very practical stuff! Thanks! :D
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

[mention]Inky[/mention],

Is it possible in a future release to map the semi-colon to the semi-colon key, like in other emulators? At the moment I have to use CTRL + O. I do appreciate there is the keyboard helper which is excellent.

Thank you.
Inky
Dizzy

Post by Inky »

PeterJ wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:37 am @Inky,

Is it possible in a future release to map the semi-colon to the semi-colon key, like in other emulators? At the moment I have to use CTRL + O. I do appreciate there is the keyboard helper which is excellent.

Thank you.
No problem. That will be in the next version.