Saving SCREEN$ to load as a TZX

Struggling with Fuse or trying to find an emulator with a specific feature. Ask your questions here.
redballoon
Manic Miner

Saving SCREEN$ to load as a TZX

Post by redballoon »

I'm not even sure if this is the right folder, so mods please feel free to move it if it is!

I'd like to convert a SCREEN$ of mine to TZX so I can then load it in an emulator (or my ZX Spectrum Next) but have very little clue where to start.
Now, and I cannot stress this enough, if you know how this can be done, you need to explain it to me like I'm your mum.

I have my SCREEN$ in SCR format and I know I know I can export as a TZX in ZX Paintbrush but I want to just type LOAD "" (or in the case of my NEXT, select it from the browser) and watch the SCREEN$ appear then once it's loaded PAUSE with a black border.

So, I have my SCR (or TZX exported from ZXP).
I can even do the basic program :
10 BORDER 0
20 LOAD "" SCREEN$
30 PAUSE 0

But who do I get all that to work with my specific SCR and save it as a TZX? I use usually use ZXSpin and I’ve just downloaded Fuse for Windows, if that’s any use.

Do you know what I mean?
TomD
Manic Miner

Re: Saving SCREEN$ to load as a TZX

Post by TomD »

Deleted my first comment as noticed you mentioned Paintbrush already.

If you save as .TAP instead of .TZX you can concatenate tape files together (you might be able to do this for TZX just never tried). Just write the basic screen loader in an emulator and save it to a new tape file, call it BASIC.TAP and save within the emulator as SAVE "LOAD" LINE 10.

Then in a command line type copy /b BASIC.TAP SCR.TAP LOAD.TAP where LOAD.TAP is the final tape file and SCR.TAP is the screen exported form ZXP.

TomD
Last edited by TomD on Fri Aug 28, 2020 5:41 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Retro enthusiast and author of Flynn's Adventure in Bombland, The Order of Mazes & Maze Death Rally-X. Check them out at http://tomdalby.com
+3code

Post by +3code »

redballoon wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 4:53 pm I have my SCREEN$ in SCR format and I know I know I can export as a TZX in ZX Paintbrush but I want to just type LOAD "" (or in the case of my NEXT, select it from the browser) and watch the SCREEN$ appear then once it's loaded PAUSE with a black border.
If you have the TZX (the exported ZXP file) you need just type LOAD "" SCREEN$ in your emulator to see the screen, don't work?
redballoon
Manic Miner

Post by redballoon »

Manged to do it using the Tape Creator in BASin. Really easy to use. Wrote my simple loader (above), went to Tape Creator, added my SCR file, added my basic program, ordered it so the basic loaded was first, set it to auto-run, Saved image as TZX...et voila! Loads nicely on both an emulator and my Spectrum Next!
XoRRoX
Manic Miner

Post by XoRRoX »

TomD wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 5:08 pm Deleted my first comment as noticed you mentioned Paintbrush already.

If you save as .TAP instead of .TZX you can concatenate tape files together (you might be able to do this for TZX just never tried). Just write the basic screen loader in an emulator and save it to a new tape file, call it BASIC.TAP and save within the emulator as SAVE "LOAD" LINE 10.

Then in a command line type copy /b BASIC.TAP SCR.TAP LOAD.TAP where LOAD.TAP is the final tape file and SCR.TAP is the screen exported form ZXP.

TomD
The contamination you describe also works with TZX files.
Joefish
Rick Dangerous

Post by Joefish »

I think the word is 'concatenation'!