atr disk reader program for linux

Struggling with Fuse or trying to find an emulator with a specific feature. Ask your questions here.
Nomad
Manic Miner

atr disk reader program for linux

Post by Nomad »

So here is a tool that I use in my scripts to extract and inject files into atr disks.

Here is the link to the guys git repo https://github.com/jhallen/atari-tools

If you intend to do cross development its a nice tool to have in the box. I find it to be very easy to use and it can be used in your own scripts.

Example - I have my assembly listing that I wrote on the atari800 dev system. But I want to upload this to github. Now I can just rewrite it on the PC but that is duplication of effort and might introduce errors. I could just post screen shots but that is also problematic as anyone that wants to duplicate the work now needs to either download a disk image or copy the screen shots.

The optimum solution is a text file that can be uploaded/edited/posted.

after you have copiled the tool.

First we check what's on the disk

Code: Select all

[dan@archhost atari-tools-master]$ ./atr bak002.atr ls -a
test.asm     test.bak     test.obj     v2.cor 
You can get a more detailed overview of the disk

[dan@archhost atari-tools-master]$ ./atr bak002.atr ls -la

-rw--    165 (  2) test.asm     
-rw--    165 (  2) test.bak     
-rw--     29 (  1) test.obj      (load=2000-200a load=2e2-2e3 init=2000 
                                 load=2e0-2e1 run=0)
-rw--      1 (  1) v2.cor       

4 entries

6 sectors, 360 bytes

701 free sectors, 89728 free bytes
This is nice as it describes the object file..

Ok but this time we need to check the test.asm file. we can check on the terminal the content of a file without extracting it.

[dan@archhost atari-tools-master]$ ./atr bak002.atr cat test.asm
        ; COLOURS PROGRAM��        ORG $2000��START   LDX #$FF�LOOP    STX $02C5�        DEX�        BNE LOOP�        JMP START��        ORG $02E2�        DW START��
Ah different CR encoding, luckily the took has an option to display this properly on the terminal.

[dan@archhost atari-tools-master]$ ./atr bak002.atr cat -l test.asm
        ; COLOURS PROGRAM

ORG $2000

START   LDX #$FF
LOOP    STX $02C5
        DEX
        BNE LOOP
        JMP START

ORG $02E2
        DW START

Now that might be all you need just to check a file content but we can extract the file also, or all the files on a disk.

You can also generate totally new images, fill them with your files all ready to be used by the Atari.

What this means is say I am using SevenUP to create some sprite designs, I can now just dump the binaries to the disk using this utility and load it on the Atari.