Fuse 1.5.1 released

Struggling with Fuse or trying to find an emulator with a specific feature. Ask your questions here.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Re: Fuse 1.5.1 released

Post by PeterJ »

It looks as though sourceforge is up again.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/fuse-emulator/files/
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ast A. Moore »

Not for me. Try clicking any other links, like Tickets, News, etc.
Every man should plant a tree, build a house, and write a ZX Spectrum game.

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
and zasm Z80 Assembler syntax highlighter.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Hi, I was just there to download fuse-utils.
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ast A. Moore »

Yeah, some of the projects have their older versions available. Most everything else is down: https://twitter.com/sfnet_ops

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
dfzx
Manic Miner

Post by dfzx »

What is the benefit of the virtual typist feature? It seems that when I drag and drop a TAP file onto the Fuse window, Fuse does a reset of the machine, then 'types' LOAD "" and presses return. It never occurred to me to wonder how it used to handle the drag and drop before: I just did it and the load happened in a split second.

It seems the extra step of the virtual typist has been introduced. Why? What's now better than what it did before?
Derek Fountain, author of the ZX Spectrum C Programmer's Getting Started Guide and various open source games, hardware and other projects, including an IF1 and ZX Microdrive emulator.
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ast A. Moore »

dfzx wrote: Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:01 pm What is the benefit of the virtual typist feature? It seems that when I drag and drop a TAP file onto the Fuse window, Fuse does a reset of the machine, then 'types' LOAD "" and presses return. It never occurred to me to wonder how it used to handle the drag and drop before: I just did it and the load happened in a split second.

It seems the extra step of the virtual typist has been introduced. Why? What's now better than what it did before?
That’s my exact problem with this feature. It tremendously slows down development. Previously, as soon as I pressed the “Assemble and Run” shortcut in my assembler, the code was up and running by the time the OS switched to Fuse. I could make tons of small corrections in a short span of time. Now I have to wait for the reset and the virtual typing to finish.

The only scenario this feature might be beneficial in, is loading the very few early titles that overwrite the system variables area and don’t have a BASIC loader. You do need to type LOAD "" CODE to run them. Sure, it’s nice to have, but you should be able to turn it off, in my book.

I rolled back to 1.4.1 for the time being.

dfzx
Manic Miner

Post by dfzx »

Ast A. Moore wrote: Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:22 pm That’s my exact problem with this feature. It tremendously slows down development. Previously, as soon as I pressed the “Assemble and Run” shortcut in my assembler, the code was up and running by the time the OS switched to Fuse. I could make tons of small corrections in a short span of time. Now I have to wait for the reset and the virtual typing to finish.

The only scenario this feature might be beneficial in, is loading the very few early titles that overwrite the system variables area and don’t have a BASIC loader. You do need to type LOAD "" CODE to run them. Sure, it’s nice to have, but you should be able to turn it off, in my book.

I rolled back to 1.4.1 for the time being.
I happen to have an old build of 1.3.5 on my system, so I tried that because I'd forgotten what it did. That doesn't do the reset, or the typing. It just magically makes the program appear in the emulated Spectrum's memory and start running. How does it work, do you know?
Derek Fountain, author of the ZX Spectrum C Programmer's Getting Started Guide and various open source games, hardware and other projects, including an IF1 and ZX Microdrive emulator.
utz
Microbot

Post by utz »

It has something to do with the old system being inflexible and overwriting option settings. In theory, as long as fastloading etc. are enabled, the new system shouldn't be significantly slower though, no?
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Is there a user guide or other documentation for Fuse. The utils have very good documentation.
dfzx
Manic Miner

Post by dfzx »

utz wrote: Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:42 pm It has something to do with the old system being inflexible and overwriting option settings. In theory, as long as fastloading etc. are enabled, the new system shouldn't be significantly slower though, no?
On my Linux system the only thing which takes any appreciable time is the Spectrum's reset, which I guess is maybe 2 seconds? With fastloading the phantom typist and code loading then take no discernible time to load a TAP file consisting of a BASIC loader and a m/c block.
dfzx
Manic Miner

Post by dfzx »

PeterJ wrote: Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:51 pm Is there a user guide or other documentation for Fuse. The utils have very good documentation.
The man page is comprehensive. It should be installed with your package or build.
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ast A. Moore »

dfzx wrote: Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:40 pm It just magically makes the program appear in the emulated Spectrum's memory and start running. How does it work, do you know?
Well, not really. I’m on macOS, and it has its own build of Fuse. From what Fred tells me, there are some bugs in the latest version for macOS that prevent Fuse from accelerating the resetting/typing sequence. If, when he fixes the bugs, things return to the pre–virtual typist era speed-wise, I’ll be okay with it. If not, I guess I’m going to have to stick to v1.4.1.

serbalgi
Drutt

Post by serbalgi »

dfzx wrote: Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:01 pm What is the benefit of the virtual typist feature? It seems that when I drag and drop a TAP file onto the Fuse window, Fuse does a reset of the machine, then 'types' LOAD "" and presses return. It never occurred to me to wonder how it used to handle the drag and drop before: I just did it and the load happened in a split second.

Before phantom typist, Fuse has been using SZX snapshots saved after LOAD "" + Enter to auto-load tapes. In fact, there was a snapshot for every machine (48K, 128K, +2, +2A, +3, timex, pentagon, etc). That has some drawbacks:
  • If the user runs a machine with an attached peripheral, Fuse would need (X machines * Y peripherals) snapshots or do some unreliable trick.
  • Customs roms could have different entry points and code execution path.
Phantom typist is not an extra step but a different approach to autoload media, with better compatibility when using customised machines. Check this thread at SourceForge for more details.
serbalgi
Drutt

Post by serbalgi »

Ast A. Moore wrote: Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:23 pm
dfzx wrote: Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:40 pm It just magically makes the program appear in the emulated Spectrum's memory and start running. How does it work, do you know?
Well, not really. I’m on macOS, and it has its own build of Fuse. From what Fred tells me, there are some bugs in the latest version for macOS that prevent Fuse from accelerating the resetting/typing sequence. If, when he fixes the bugs, things return to the pre–virtual typist era speed-wise, I’ll be okay with it. If not, I guess I’m going to have to stick to v1.4.1.
On Linux I don't see any delay as emulation speed runs at full throttle. It seems that Fuse for macOS needs to improve this feature.
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ast A. Moore »

serbalgi wrote: Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:35 pm
Ast A. Moore wrote: Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:23 pm Well, not really. I’m on macOS, and it has its own build of Fuse. From what Fred tells me, there are some bugs in the latest version for macOS that prevent Fuse from accelerating the resetting/typing sequence. If, when he fixes the bugs, things return to the pre–virtual typist era speed-wise, I’ll be okay with it. If not, I guess I’m going to have to stick to v1.4.1.
On Linux I don't see any delay as emulation speed runs at full throttle. It seems that Fuse for macOS needs to improve this feature.
Well, I’ll take your word for it, however, in the thread, Philip says that the reset sequence does add a delay. I don’t know if this has been addressed by enabling full acceleration during that sequence.

dfzx
Manic Miner

Post by dfzx »

Ast A. Moore wrote: Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:21 pm
serbalgi wrote: Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:35 pm On Linux I don't see any delay as emulation speed runs at full throttle. It seems that Fuse for macOS needs to improve this feature.
Well, I’ll take your word for it, however, in the thread, Philip says that the reset sequence does add a delay. I don’t know if this has been addressed by enabling full acceleration during that sequence.
Full acceleration during the reset hasn't been enabled under Linux. It takes the usual 2-ish seconds and the speed label in the bottom right corner of the status bar stays at "100%".
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ast A. Moore »

dfzx wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:51 am
Ast A. Moore wrote: Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:21 pm Well, I’ll take your word for it, however, in the thread, Philip says that the reset sequence does add a delay. I don’t know if this has been addressed by enabling full acceleration during that sequence.
Full acceleration during the reset hasn't been enabled under Linux. It takes the usual 2-ish seconds and the speed label in the bottom right corner of the status bar stays at "100%".
Well, that’s a bummer, then.

Fred
Drutt

Post by Fred »

dfzx wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:51 am Full acceleration during the reset hasn't been enabled under Linux. It takes the usual 2-ish seconds and the speed label in the bottom right corner of the status bar stays at "100%".
This should now be fixed for the next release.
Nomad
Manic Miner

Post by Nomad »

Is there a way for the user to take control of the phantom typist? Would be a pretty nice automation tool. Especially for testing.
dfzx
Manic Miner

Post by dfzx »

Nomad wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:18 pm Is there a way for the user to take control of the phantom typist? Would be a pretty nice automation tool. Especially for testing.
A quick look at the code suggests no, because the thing to type to make the load happen is hardcoded as a series of keypresses. The keys to "press" differ between Spectrum models and the phantom typist code has been written only to facilitate the autoloader.
Nomad
Manic Miner

Post by Nomad »

Ah that's a shame I hoped I would be able to use it kind of like the expects library.
RMartins
Manic Miner

Post by RMartins »

I tried to download fuse-utils for MAC, but apparently there is no specific download of binaries for MAC.
I went to https://sourceforge.net/projects/fuse-e ... ils/1.4.0/ and press the DOWNLOAD green button, but got fuse-1.5.1.tar.gz

Not a very good UI from sourceforge (yeah, it has the filename in small letters on the button) but it doesn't make up for linking to the wrong context file.

If we click on the actual file, we the expected fuse-utils-1.4.0.tar.gz
But then we need to compile it, and also requires LibSpectrum.

So no joy for a simple MacOS download.
I'm going to bite the bullet and try and compile this thing next.
dfzx
Manic Miner

Post by dfzx »

RMartins wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:14 pm I tried to download fuse-utils for MAC, but apparently there is no specific download of binaries for MAC.
I went to https://sourceforge.net/projects/fuse-e ... ils/1.4.0/ and press the DOWNLOAD green button, but got fuse-1.5.1.tar.gz

Not a very good UI from sourceforge (yeah, it has the filename in small letters on the button) but it doesn't make up for linking to the wrong context file.

If we click on the actual file, we the expected fuse-utils-1.4.0.tar.gz
But then we need to compile it, and also requires LibSpectrum.

So no joy for a simple MacOS download.
I'm going to bite the bullet and try and compile this thing next.
Fuse for MacOS has it's own site:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/fuse-for-macosx/files/

I don't do the Mac thing, and I'm not sure exactly what you're after, but you'd probably do better starting there. :)
RMartins
Manic Miner

Post by RMartins »

dfzx wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:36 pm Fuse for MacOS has it's own site:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/fuse-for-macosx/files/

I don't do the Mac thing, and I'm not sure exactly what you're after, but you'd probably do better starting there. :)
I know, but fuse-utils is not part of the distribution.

EDIT: Oh wait, that link, as another set of files for fuse-utils.
I was referring to the actual Fuse for Mac App.
So forget the rest of this post :)

Speaking of which, libspectrum 1.4.1 does not compile on Mac OS X 10.11.6 (El Capitan)

When running ./configure I get:
checking for GLIB... no
configure: error: GLib not found
This GLIB is not mentioned in the README, so does anyone have a clue of which library this is, before I dive in ?
Last edited by RMartins on Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dfzx
Manic Miner

Post by dfzx »

RMartins wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:54 pm I know, but fuse-utils is not part of the distribution.

This GLIB is not mentioned in the README, so does anyone have a clue of which library this is, before I dive in ?
Fair enough. As I say, I don't do Mac... :)

Glib is the GNOME graphics library. Top link of a Google search points me here:

http://macappstore.org/glib/