Fuse - How to get disks working properly

Struggling with Fuse or trying to find an emulator with a specific feature. Ask your questions here.
Nomad
Manic Miner

Re: Fuse - How to get disks working properly

Post by Nomad »

Thanks Guesser, the image you link to works perfectly.

serbalgi
Drutt

Post by serbalgi »

Nomad wrote: Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:05 pm I check disk, its double sided 40 sector.
It is a +3 system
I click insert new
I then go to +3 basic
i type FORMAT "a:"
get the ok
CAT gives me the following screen
Everything seems peachy...
I flip disk
try and use FORMAT "a:"
but disaster
I get the second screen
I flip the disk back.
hit save as
save the disk as fred.dsk
I eject the disk
when I insert the disk I get the following message
Failed to open disk image:Cannot open disk image
Thanks for the detailed report. I think your prolific post has spotted two bugs.

The steps for formatting side B are correct. When inserting a new disk, tracks 0 and 2 are preformatted to allow format routines at Spectrum ROM to succeed. Currently this isn't being done on side B. I've filled bug #416 at SourceForge.
I then thought 'well perhaps I needed to save the image right after I format the disk...

Tried again.. but got the same error even before the flip, after I saved, I ejected the disk. Inserted the disk but got the same Failed to open disk image error...

I then thought ... well perhaps you need to save the image before formatting...

same error occurs...
Fuse fails to save DSK images with unformatted tracks. Right now, I'm not sure if that is a limitation of the file format or a bug in the saving routine. You can save unformatted tracks using the more powerful UDI file format. I've filled bug #415 at SourceForge.
serbalgi
Drutt

Post by serbalgi »

Guesser wrote: Sun Mar 04, 2018 4:00 pm Fuse saves the merged disk as interleaved tracks but I haven't succeeded in creating a flippable blank disk in spin disk manager yet. The images created by fuse have the tracks on both sides being "side 0" which is possibly something to do with it.
Could you provide more details to reproduce a disk with both sides being "side 0"? I can't see that.
Guesser
Manic Miner

Post by Guesser »

serbalgi wrote: Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:53 pm Could you provide more details to reproduce a disk with both sides being "side 0"? I can't see that.
I created a single sided disk image, made a copy of it, gave them appropriate names with side A and side B, then merge loaded and saved. The resulting image is the one I linked.
Spin Disk Image Manager indicates that tracks on side 1 of the disk are "side 0" and tracks on side 2 are also "side 0".
(with a proper double sided formatted disk the tracks on side 1 are "side 0" and the tracks on side 2 are "side 1")