ZXBaremulator v3.0

Struggling with Fuse or trying to find an emulator with a specific feature. Ask your questions here.
adonet
Drutt

Re: ZXBaremulator v3.0

Post by adonet »

Is there anyone who got this Baremulator working with a conversion kit from here: http://blog.tynemouthsoftware.co.uk/201 ... -kits.html
I build this into my old Lo>>profile keyboard, but it doesn't work really well. In FUSE, FBZX, Eighty-one and ZEsarUX this keyboard performs fine.
I am Using ZX Machines since 1981.
zx81
Microbot

Post by zx81 »

adonet wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:25 am Is there anyone who got this Baremulator working with a conversion kit from here: http://blog.tynemouthsoftware.co.uk/201 ... -kits.html
I build this into my old Lo>>profile keyboard, but it doesn't work really well. In FUSE, FBZX, Eighty-one and ZEsarUX this keyboard performs fine.
ZXBaremulator don't uses an operating system and nothing is magical. The last beta (3.H.6) supports the ZX Recreated keyboard. I don't know how works these new conversion kit. Hard to add support for it.
adonet
Drutt

Post by adonet »

Hi ZX81, I do understand that. It is just the case that this conversion kit converts the old Spectrum keyboard to an USB keyboard and makes outputs in 2 modes. The first one is an ordinairy ZX Spectrum. Other emulators interpret the keypresses right. And the secons one is a USB keyboard mode for use in other cases than emulators.
I already contacted the maker of this converion kit to ask him more technical details of his output.

for now I only have this:
Spectrum Mode

keyboard mode
Direct

CAPS shift

Symbol shift

Can you give me a clue which file contains the keyboard layout in your baremulator? I am willing to try myself to make a usable keyboard interpretation function if that is possible.
adonet
Drutt

Post by adonet »

adonet wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:17 pm Hi ZX81, I do understand that. It is just the case that this conversion kit converts the old Spectrum keyboard to an USB keyboard and makes outputs in 2 modes. The first one is an ordinairy ZX Spectrum. Other emulators interpret the keypresses right. And the secons one is a USB keyboard mode for use in other cases than emulators.
I already contacted the maker of this converion kit to ask him more technical details of his output.

for now I only have this:
Spectrum Mode

keyboard mode
Direct

CAPS shift

Symbol shift

Can you give me a clue which file contains the keyboard layout in your baremulator? I am willing to try myself to make a usable keyboard interpretation function if that is possible.
I 'd like to add one more point of information. The conversion kit 's output is the same as the output of a brittish UK english keyboard.
zx81
Microbot

Post by zx81 »

adonet wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:17 pm Hi ZX81, I do understand that. It is just the case that this conversion kit converts the old Spectrum keyboard to an USB keyboard and makes outputs in 2 modes. The first one is an ordinairy ZX Spectrum. Other emulators interpret the keypresses right. And the secons one is a USB keyboard mode for use in other cases than emulators.

An ordinary USB keyboard don't have a "ZX Spectrum mode". To work with ZXBaremulator the keyboard needs to be a civilized HID USB device with a boot descriptor. Has you tried the USB keyboard mode?

The keyboard handling is developed in C++, don't uses any table.

You can try this kernel image, suitable for PI-2/3. This kernel shows on the screen the keys sended by the keyboard. You can see the difference between keyboard modes.
adonet
Drutt

Post by adonet »

Hi ZX81
Together with which files should I use this kernel? I can't get it to work. It only produces a black screen on my monitor.
zx81
Microbot

Post by zx81 »

adonet wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:42 pm Hi ZX81
Together with which files should I use this kernel? I can't get it to work. It only produces a black screen on my monitor.
The files bootcode.bin, start.elf, fixup.dat & config.txt are mandatory. You should put the *.dtb files too. The easy way to run these kernel is rename the ZXBaremulator kernel7.img file and copy the test kernel.
hikoki
Manic Miner

Post by hikoki »

adonet wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:42 pm Hi ZX81
This happened to me with one TV. Try this on your config.txt
# uncomment if hdmi display is not detected and composite is being output
hdmi_force_hotplug=1
adonet
Drutt

Post by adonet »

On two different monitors I don't get an image. One monitor just remains black, the other says "invalid signal".
So that's it for now for the testing.

With the normal kernel7 the Baremulator just boots fine.
zx81
Microbot

Post by zx81 »

Check that on cmdline.txt file you don't have that: 'logdev=ttyS1'. These config redirects log output to serial port, so the screen stays black.
adonet
Drutt

Post by adonet »

I have tested al keypresses of the Tynemouth USB keyboard converter, and typed them into a excel file (18Kb). I cannot upload them to this forum though. so I placed it here:
https://mega.nz/#!rtYiSTRR!WTntcxt_V0O5 ... 5rOol3sm4o
zx81
Microbot

Post by zx81 »

At first glance I can see a strange keyboard in both modes. Isn't a full standard USB keyboard and the Sinclair mode is different to ZX Recreated.

The question is that 10.000 ZX Recreated keyboard units have been manufactured but, how many Tynemouth keyboards exist?. Currently is out of stock. I should add another special keyboard, I guess that's a nonsense effort, IMHO.

I'm sorry. :cry:
adonet
Drutt

Post by adonet »

I understand that making a keyboard for this system is not interesting if almost no-one has one. But it seems not to be out of stock on his tindie store
https://www.tindie.com/products/tynemou ... rsion-kit/

I put the conversion-kit in an old Lo>>Profile keyboard and that is really a pleasant way to retro. but alas not with the ZX Baremulator. Fortunately FUSE and ZEsarUX and FBZX do work fine.

To compare the Recreated ZX Spectrum and the tynemouth keyboard and a regular USB keyboard I made a newer version of this excel table.
you can find it here:
https://mega.nz/#!64BjhA6B!AnJ65WXSbTg2 ... mVz_GBnVmc

Tynemouth differs from a regular USB keyboard to make special characters output the correct code for a regular PC. For example symbol shift - K should output a + symbol. On a PC keyboard that is the SHIFT key and the = + key and this key outputs 02 2E. Thats what Tynemouth does. to make Symbol shift K give the output that a regular pc interprets as +
adonet
Drutt

Post by adonet »

An interesting blog from the maker of the tynemouth keyboard conversion kit

http://blog.tynemouthsoftware.co.uk/201 ... ry-pi.html
Pegaz
Dynamite Dan

Post by Pegaz »

65 $, just for the usb conversion kit !?
Recereated keyboard is better solution then...
zx81
Microbot

Post by zx81 »

[mention]adonet[/mention]

First, the ARMv6 based PI models are out of support for ZXBaremulator. The models A+/B+/Zero/ZeroW are too limited (is really hard add support for HDMI sound, by example) and for the future is a bad bet. I can't support and develop two different code bases.
The only issues I found were the top and bottom of the screen, on power on, the top line appears to have a small section missing in the top left.
That's a common misconception. That's the exact point where the ULA starts to draw the image. The very first and last image lines aren't displayed by the CRT TV sets and, depending of TV image configuration, can't be seen on LCD.
After selecting a program to load, the gap at the top is gone, but there is now a thin blue line along the bottom of the screen.
This problem is corrected on the v3.0 version.
The other issue I had was lack of sound, I think that is because I was using version 2.0 of the software. V3.0 apparently has sound, but doesn't work on the Pi Zero.
Wrong, the v2.0 version have sound on the 3.5mm jack, using PWM. Plug a headphones...

Any future development will be done using PI-2/3 as a minimum.
adonet
Drutt

Post by adonet »

Pegaz wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:44 am 65 $, just for the usb conversion kit !?
Recereated keyboard is better solution then...
Unless you want to use a ZX Spectrum+ keyboard converted or a Lo Profile or other third party Spectrum keyboard. But I agree, it's not cheap. On the other hand the recreated keyboard is not for sale anymore for the original price. On Amazon Germany I see the recreated keyboard for €75,=
hikoki
Manic Miner

Post by hikoki »

Just a thought. You may want to contact manuferhi from the zxuno forums to see if he's interested in making an alternative kit. I think he could adapt his zxgo+ project without much work.
Face
Drutt

Post by Face »

Hi all,
I've just spent a few hours trying to get ZXBaremulator v3.0 working on my new Pi 3 Model B+ without any luck. I download allfiles.zip, extracted this to a FAT32 formatted micro SD card, created a Tapes directory and copied a few tap files over.
When I put the sd card into the Pi and turned it on, the multi coloured display remains on screen and there is a flashing green light next to a solid red light. It blinks slowly 4 times, and then fast 4 times - and then repeats.
Really not sure what I'm doing wrong - don't think I am, and I've tried a few tweaks in the config.txt which made no difference. I've also tried this on 3 different micro sd cards - didn't help.

I hunted around and found a beta version - 3.H.6 and put this on - and it WORKS !!!
The beta zip contains 8 dtb files, a single kernel7.img file, where allfiles.zip has no dtb files and 3 different kernel files.

Any idea how I can get v3.0 working on the Pi 3 B+ ?

Thanks!
Pegaz
Dynamite Dan

Post by Pegaz »

I think Baremulator doesnt support Pi 3+ model, for now...
Face
Drutt

Post by Face »

Seems a bit strange the last beta works with the 3B+, but not the final version.... Didn't think there was a huge difference between the 3B and the 3B+. I'll stick with the beta for now, but it would be great to be able to use the final version!
Pegaz
Dynamite Dan

Post by Pegaz »

I dont have 3+, but if the previous version is working, then shouldnt be a compatibility problem.
Maybe something at your end, a damaged zip archive or something like that...?
Did you try kernel versions from separate download links?
I've tested Baremulator on Zero / Pi 2 / Pi 3 and all versions have always worked well.
Baremulator author is a member of the forum and maybe its best to wait for his opinion...
zx81
Microbot

Post by zx81 »

Face wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:07 pm Seems a bit strange the last beta works with the 3B+, but not the final version.... Didn't think there was a huge difference between the 3B and the 3B+. I'll stick with the beta for now, but it would be great to be able to use the final version!
The 3B+ model have a different chip for USB ports & network, and ZXBaremulator 3.0 don't have support for it. The last beta should be the next ZXB version (3.1 or so). I want to release a new version soon but I don't know when. I'm in work trips frequently... :cry:
Seven.FFF
Manic Miner

Post by Seven.FFF »

It's not that strange when you realise beta versions are newer than final versions, not older.

Final versions are the most recent stable release that has been extensively tested, rather than the final version that is ever going to be made. They're conservative rather than cutting-edge, because it's not good to cause mainstream users problems by accidently breaking things that already worked.

Beta versions contain recent features since the last final version, and are sent to the community so they can get further, deeper testing by power users. More testing than the developers have time or resources to do themselves. Useful feedback goes back to the developer, resulting in more changes and maybe a new beta version. Eventually the features are stable enough that a new final version can be released, and the beta cycle starts again with further new features.

Lots of developers and companies do variations on this process, but it's usually more or less like this.

zx81 is just one guy with other commitments, so it's normal that the final versions can be released some time apart.
Robin Verhagen-Guest
SevenFFF / Threetwosevensixseven / colonel32
NXtel NXTP ESP Update ESP Reset CSpect Plugins
Face
Drutt

Post by Face »

Appreciate the responses. zx81 - its incredible what you've done and I'm greatful for the emulator, so many thanks for this and I'll continue to use the beta until the next release.