ZXBaremulator v3.0

Struggling with Fuse or trying to find an emulator with a specific feature. Ask your questions here.
zx81
Dizzy

Re: ZXBaremulator v3.0

Post by zx81 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:45 pm

The Pi2 needs to initialize more hardware than Pi Zero and 4 CPUs. I can do nothing to speed the boot process, I fear.

Obviously, the emulator knows nothing about an Arduino connected to the PI. Tomorrow comes a Recreated ZX keyboard, kindly donated by Hikoki. I want to support it. Another solution can be a keyboard connected to GPIO, as shows the MagPi #67.

The "ideal" solution always will be a real Spectrum... :D
0 x

Pegaz
Manic Miner

Post by Pegaz » Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:27 am

Of course, I understand that, I'm just saying that this faster boot time is more suited to me, if I put Pi inside a Spectrum case.
When I say "ideal" solution, I mean specifically on such a hardware project, nothing else. ;)
Recreated ZX keyboard support is certainly a good thing, the problem that I have is the same as it was yours - It's really difficult to get this keyboard outside of the UK.
UK online shops that sells it at a reasonable price does not send anywhere abroad, so I'm stuck.
The MAG Magazine solution cant be applied to the Baremulator, because it requires Linux based system, with Python support, which software scans the Spectrum keyboard connected to the GPIO port.
0 x

hikoki
Manic Miner

Post by hikoki » Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:35 am

@Pegaz
Amazon Spain provides RZX though more expensive than the ones from UK (42£ versus 25£). You may know someone who can send one from UK to your homeland? BTW I don't have any more Amazon e-gift card :)

Another interesting option would be that you talked to the man behind Retroradionics.co.uk, Djordje Mitic is a serbian who can be contacted on facebook. He sells repro cases for less than 60$ including laser cutting for a number of different hardware projects. I wonder if he'd be interested in designing a laser cutting to fit a RPi inside.
0 x

Pegaz
Manic Miner

Post by Pegaz » Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:30 pm

hikoki wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:35 am
@Pegaz
Amazon Spain provides RZX though more expensive than the ones from UK (42£ versus 25£). You may know someone who can send one from UK to your homeland? BTW I don't have any more Amazon e-gift card :)

Another interesting option would be that you talked to the man behind Retroradionics.co.uk, Djordje Mitic is a serbian who can be contacted on facebook. He sells repro cases for less than 60$ including laser cutting for a number of different hardware projects. I wonder if he'd be interested in designing a laser cutting to fit a RPi inside.
Yes, I know that Djordje is making repro cases, but I already have the one spare original Spectrum case for that purpose.
The problem is that I dont know how to connect Spectrum keyboard and Pi, to work with Baremulator.
RZX is another option, I will see if there is a way to get one for a resonable price.
If not, I will get some suitable mini pc usb keyboard and try to insert Pi Zero inside.
I know, in this case, I'm losing HDMI sound with Baremulator v3.0, but we cant have everything...
0 x

zx81
Dizzy

Post by zx81 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:08 pm

Pegaz wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:27 am
The MAG Magazine solution cant be applied to the Baremulator, because it requires Linux based system, with Python support, which software scans the Spectrum keyboard connected to the GPIO port.
False. I can read the GPIOs perfectly from bare-metal, I don't need Linux or Python, neither. But I should to program the GPIO reading and translating the IOs to emulated keyboard. For that, I need the circuit and a working original keyboard (keyboard on my Spectrum+ don't works very well).
0 x

Pegaz
Manic Miner

Post by Pegaz » Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:13 pm

zx81 wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:08 pm
Pegaz wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:27 am
False. I can read the GPIOs perfectly from bare-metal, I don't need Linux or Python, neither. But I should to program the GPIO reading and translating the IOs to emulated keyboard. For that, I need the circuit and a working original keyboard (keyboard on my Spectrum+ don't works very well).
That's great news.
The MAG magazine has a complete guide for the circuit (which is quite simple), and here's more details on how to connect the GPIO pins to the Spectrum keyboard.
https://github.com/mrpjevans/zxscanner
If Baremulator gets support for this, I would gladly try it out.
1 x

adonet
Berk

Post by adonet » Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:54 pm

Hi there,

is there a version that runs on 32 bit Intel architecture? I would like to make a ZX Spectrum of my old 32 bit intel based laptop.
now I am running Batocera (sort of Retropie) on this machine and that is very nice, but making a spectrum would be very interesting.
https://batocera-linux.xorhub.com/
0 x
I am Using ZX Machines since 1981.

zx81
Dizzy

Post by zx81 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:51 am

@adonet

No, ZXBaremulator is for PI hardware. I don't have any plan to port it to another platform.
0 x

ricky006
Berk

Post by ricky006 » Sun May 06, 2018 1:17 pm

Hello , I have just found out about this stand alone ZXBaremulator, I have a 32'' Samsung LCD HDMI and I'm just getting a Black screen , I need to know what to change in the Config.txt, I'm on a PI 3 .
Thanx 4 UR Time.

:D
0 x

ricky006
Berk

Post by ricky006 » Sun May 06, 2018 2:06 pm

It's OK I was using the Allfiles instead of the ZXMini zips , I can see the the picture now , Now to test . Thankyou
1 x