ZXBaremulator v3.0

Struggling with Fuse or trying to find an emulator with a specific feature. Ask your questions here.
Face
Berk

Re: ZXBaremulator v3.0

Post by Face » Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:07 pm

Seems a bit strange the last beta works with the 3B+, but not the final version.... Didn't think there was a huge difference between the 3B and the 3B+. I'll stick with the beta for now, but it would be great to be able to use the final version!
0 x

Pegaz
Microbot

Post by Pegaz » Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:49 pm

I dont have 3+, but if the previous version is working, then shouldnt be a compatibility problem.
Maybe something at your end, a damaged zip archive or something like that...?
Did you try kernel versions from separate download links?
I've tested Baremulator on Zero / Pi 2 / Pi 3 and all versions have always worked well.
Baremulator author is a member of the forum and maybe its best to wait for his opinion...
0 x

zx81
Berk

Post by zx81 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:54 pm

Face wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:07 pm
Seems a bit strange the last beta works with the 3B+, but not the final version.... Didn't think there was a huge difference between the 3B and the 3B+. I'll stick with the beta for now, but it would be great to be able to use the final version!
The 3B+ model have a different chip for USB ports & network, and ZXBaremulator 3.0 don't have support for it. The last beta should be the next ZXB version (3.1 or so). I want to release a new version soon but I don't know when. I'm in work trips frequently... :cry:
0 x

Seven.FFF
Manic Miner

Post by Seven.FFF » Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:05 pm

It's not that strange when you realise beta versions are newer than final versions, not older.

Final versions are the most recent stable release that has been extensively tested, rather than the final version that is ever going to be made. They're conservative rather than cutting-edge, because it's not good to cause mainstream users problems by accidently breaking things that already worked.

Beta versions contain recent features since the last final version, and are sent to the community so they can get further, deeper testing by power users. More testing than the developers have time or resources to do themselves. Useful feedback goes back to the developer, resulting in more changes and maybe a new beta version. Eventually the features are stable enough that a new final version can be released, and the beta cycle starts again with further new features.

Lots of developers and companies do variations on this process, but it's usually more or less like this.

zx81 is just one guy with other commitments, so it's normal that the final versions can be released some time apart.
0 x
Robin Verhagen-Guest
SevenFFF / Threetwosevensixseven / colonel32
seven-fff.com/blog

Face
Berk

Post by Face » Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:21 pm

Appreciate the responses. zx81 - its incredible what you've done and I'm greatful for the emulator, so many thanks for this and I'll continue to use the beta until the next release.
2 x