recording zxspin for youtube

Struggling with Fuse or trying to find an emulator with a specific feature. Ask your questions here.
MrPixel
Microbot

recording zxspin for youtube

Post by MrPixel »

is there a way to record avi in Zxspin (i run a gaming channel called Speedruns for charity) so that i can post to youtube? :?:

thanks in advance
PeterJ
Site Admin

Re: recording zxspin for youtube

Post by PeterJ »

[mention]MrPixel[/mention]

I'm not sure about Spin, but you can do it in Spectaculator (It's not free but there is a 30 day trial available):

http://www.spectaculator.com/downloads/
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

MrPixel wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:16 pm is there a way to record avi in Zxspin (i run a gaming channel called Speedruns for charity) so that i can post to youtube? :?:
I've only used it for animated .gifs but in SPIN if you choose:

Recording>Video>Configure Output>

AVI is one of the options.
MrPixel
Microbot

Post by MrPixel »

thanks
Ralf
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ralf »

As other say there is a recording option in Spin but I wouldn't use it. I only recorded short animated gifs with it and it still sometimes gave me weird problems.

Use Spectaculator instead.
pavero
Dynamite Dan

Post by pavero »

Unfortunately recording AVI videos in Spectaculator doesn't work anymore under Windows 10.
MrPixel
Microbot

Post by MrPixel »

what about fuse?
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ast A. Moore »

MrPixel wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:37 pmwhat about fuse?
Yes, Fuse can record emulation at 50 fps into its own format, which you can then convert with fmfconv and an encoder of your choice (I personally use ffmpeg).
Every man should plant a tree, build a house, and write a ZX Spectrum game.

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
and zasm Z80 Assembler syntax highlighter.
lister_of_smeg
Microbot

Post by lister_of_smeg »

Ast A. Moore wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:57 pm
MrPixel wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:37 pmwhat about fuse?
Yes, Fuse can record emulation at 50 fps into its own format, which you can then convert with fmfconv and an encoder of your choice (I personally use ffmpeg).
A nice trick you can do with fmfconv -> ffmpeg is to use the Zip Motion Blocks codec (zmbv). This gives you a lossless conversion with a very low bitrate (~300 kbps @ 1080p - very handy for reducing file size for upload to YouTube).

First you need to generate your own palette from your source material:-

Code: Select all

fmfconv speccy.fmf | ffmpeg -i - -vf palettegen palette.png
Note: if you already have a palette file with all 15 Speccy colours, you can just use that instead

Then to encode (here using FLAC for audio and the Matroska container format):-

fmfconv speccy.fmf | ffmpeg -i - -i palette.png -filter_complex "null [x]; [x][1:v] paletteuse" -c:a flac -c:v zmbv -compression_level:a 12 speccy.mkv
Or to scale to 720p:-

fmfconv speccy.fmf | ffmpeg -i - -i palette.png -filter_complex "scale=960:720:flags=neighbor [x]; [x][1:v] paletteuse" -c:a flac -c:v zmbv -compression_level:a 12 speccy.mkv
...or 1080p:-

fmfconv speccy.fmf | ffmpeg -i - -i palette.png -filter_complex "crop=288:216,scale=1440:1080:flags=neighbor [x]; [x][1:v] paletteuse" -c:a flac -c:v zmbv -compression_level:a 12 speccy.mkv
Note: When scaling you must scale the speccy screen by an integer multiple, so cropping was necessary for the 1080p upscaling.

Example (best watched fullscreen in a 1080p screen mode):-

[media]https://youtu.be/xF0CvLo-Ddg[/media]

Of course - once uploaded to YouTube - it gets encoded and is no longer lossless, but the quality should be optimal as you are not re-encoding already lossy material, and - in my opinion - the main perk is the vastly reduced upload time (the source file for the above was less than 2 megabytes IIRC).
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Post by PeteProdge »

A truly easier and better way to record footage from emulators of any kind (including ZXSpin) is to use OBS - Open Broadcast Studio. It's free open-source software that records the output of windows, whether for composing into a video or to stream. Astonishingly good at what it does and fairly simple to use.

As I'm starting a YouTube channel on retrogaming, I've been testing out OBS on things like Fuse, MAME, Fusion (Sega Master System/MegaDrive), VICE (Commodore 64), Caprice (Amstrad) and others.
Reheated Pixels - a combination of retrogaming, comedy and factual musing, is here!
New video: Nine ZX Spectrum magazine controversies - How Crash, Your Sinclair and Sinclair User managed to offend the world!
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ast A. Moore »

lister_of_smeg wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:23 am A nice trick you can do with fmfconv -> ffmpeg is to use the Zip Motion Blocks codec (zmbv). This gives you a lossless conversion with a very low bitrate (~300 kbps @ 1080p - very handy for reducing file size for upload to YouTube).
That’s a neat trick. Thanks! (I don’t condone the use of non-standard containers and codecs, though, so I’ll stick to h.264(5) and mp4.)

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
Guesser
Manic Miner

Post by Guesser »

PeteProdge wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:01 am A truly easier and better way to record footage from emulators of any kind (including ZXSpin) is to use OBS
Definitely easier, but I find it hard to believe it's better than that perfectly scaled 1080p 50fps from fuse.
Guesser
Manic Miner

Post by Guesser »

Ast A. Moore wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:17 am (I don’t condone the use of non-standard containers and codecs, though, so I’ll stick to h.264(5) and mp4.)
"The nice thing about standards is that you have so many to choose from"
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ast A. Moore »

Guesser wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:15 pm
Ast A. Moore wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:17 am (I don’t condone the use of non-standard containers and codecs, though, so I’ll stick to h.264(5) and mp4.)
"The nice thing about standards is that you have so many to choose from"
True dat. ’Sept FLAC and MKV ain’t one of ’em. ;)

Seven.FFF
Manic Miner

Post by Seven.FFF »

That’s awesome [mention]Guesser[/mention], cheers. I’ve never been happy with how video recording mashes nice crisp pixels into a mush, so I usually record anigifs rather than videos, and live without the sound.

Will definitely try this. I never had any success with fmfconv before, but I was probably doing it wrong.
Robin Verhagen-Guest
SevenFFF / Threetwosevensixseven / colonel32
NXtel NXTP ESP Update ESP Reset CSpect Plugins
Guesser
Manic Miner

Post by Guesser »

Seven.FFF wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:32 pm That’s awesome @Guesser, cheers. I’ve never been happy with how video recording mashes nice crisp pixels into a mush
Nothing to do with me, though I agree with you :)
Seven.FFF
Manic Miner

Post by Seven.FFF »

Lol, oops!
Robin Verhagen-Guest
SevenFFF / Threetwosevensixseven / colonel32
NXtel NXTP ESP Update ESP Reset CSpect Plugins
serbalgi
Drutt

Post by serbalgi »

lister_of_smeg wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:23 am A nice trick you can do with fmfconv -> ffmpeg is to use the Zip Motion Blocks codec (zmbv). This gives you a lossless conversion with a very low bitrate (~300 kbps @ 1080p - very handy for reducing file size for upload to YouTube).
[...]
Thank you. I'll add these examples to the fmfconv manual.
5MinuteRetro
Manic Miner

Post by 5MinuteRetro »

MrPixel wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:16 pm is there a way to record avi in Zxspin (i run a gaming channel called Speedruns for charity) so that i can post to youtube? :?:
I've not tried it with ZX Spin but, if you use Windows 10, I'd imagine that operating system's built-in screen recorder will do the job. Initiate it by pressing Windows key+G and then follow the prompts...

(You can also get to it via Start > Settings cog > Gaming > Game DVR)
Retro stuff, real quick
YouTube: http://bit.ly/5MinuteRetro
Twitter: https://twitter.com/5MinuteRetro
Wizfinger
Drutt

Post by Wizfinger »

[mention]lister_of_smeg[/mention]

Thank you! This finally solved my fmf conversion problems, I tried about a million ffmpeg settings but everything became blurry. Thanks to you it now works!

In order to upload to YouTube I convert the resulting mkv file to mp4 using Handbrake.
Neil Parsons
Manic Miner

Post by Neil Parsons »

pavero wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:18 pm Unfortunately recording AVI videos in Spectaculator doesn't work anymore under Windows 10.
Still works to me and I use W10.

Control > Video Clip (AVI) > Record: create and put a name to your AVI file.

Next, another window appears (Video Clip options):
- Option 1: Video size - By default Medium (320x256). I always use this parameter for most of my videos.
- Option 2: Compressor - By default Spectaculator selects Microsoft RLE (unless in my case), but choosing to Codec Intel IYUV works fine and records both sound and image.
- Option 3: Frame rate - By default, 25 fps. I just don't touch this parameter.
Last edited by Neil Parsons on Sat May 29, 2021 10:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
pavero
Dynamite Dan

Post by pavero »

Neil Parsons wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 9:35 pm
pavero wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:18 pm Unfortunately recording AVI videos in Spectaculator doesn't work anymore under Windows 10.
Still works to me and I use W10.
Interesting, what setting do you use?
Neil Parsons
Manic Miner

Post by Neil Parsons »

pavero wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 9:38 pm Interesting, what setting do you use?
I've just edited my previous comment. :D
Neil Parsons
Manic Miner

Post by Neil Parsons »

For a while, when I tried to play AVI files created with Spectaculator with any of multimedia players installed in my computer, I could only listen it (no visual) with default Microsoft RLE compressor. After testing rest of options, I found that the third one from above "Intel IYUV" is the best one.

For some reason, it appears twice at the dropdown menu but enlighted one is what I select every time I want to record new videos.
pavero
Dynamite Dan

Post by pavero »

Neil Parsons wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 9:59 pm For a while, when I tried to play AVI files created with Spectaculator with any of multimedia players installed in my computer, I could only listen it (no visual) with default Microsoft RLE compressor.
That's the bug which i thought.

But it seems, Intel IYUV is functional. Thanks!